MR Millennium Falcon help

vaderperp

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all, I have the Studio Scale Millennium Falcon and need help solving some minor flaws with it. Mine has a great paint job but there are a few minor issues. First, I notice there are spots where you see a glossy spot or shine due to the glue spillover when a few greeblies were attached. I have no real model experience and I realize removing some of the glue will probably remove the paint job. Is there anything I can do to dull the shine on the excessive glue spots without taking away the paint finish under the glue? Second, there is a tiny spot that was not painted in whatever the base coat of the Falcon is. What color and brand paint is recommended? It is small enough that a simple brush will take care of it. MR does not have any more replacements so this is my only hope!

I've been a long time lurker here and admire the talent here. I'd comment more but I just do not have much modeling experience but I really enjoy seeing the process in which things get created. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Get Testors dull coat in a spray can, spray a little on the areas in question, use a piece of paper to mask surrouding but it doesn't matter if it goes on the other areas, once dried which takes a few minutes it will blend in perfectly and you will not notice.

I did it in several spots were there was shiny scuffs because of rubbing ect... I just used the dullcoat and everything came out perfect. Beware try not to use masking tape, somehow I tried masking a area and on one of the pipping the paint just peeled off.

The base color is 50/50 grime white and reefer white made by Floquil, I used straight grime white for my touch ups, it seemed to match better on mine.

GFollano

Last edited:
Testors dull is great stuff, but I would say to use extreme caution with the aerosol can version. Unlike the straight stuff in the bottles made for airbrushing, the aerosol has quite a bit of solvent in it, and I've had it melt paint before from accidentally spraying too much, which is easy to do with a rattle can. Another thing is that straight Testors dull coat, unlike the aerosol version, is a bit more flat(dull) than the MR Falcon's factory finish, so if you opt for that my recommendation would be to use an airbrush and go over the whole ship to give it an even sheen, the straight stuff has never given me a problem. The best thing for a near perfect match to use in an airbrush is micro flat. It's water based and while it will give a flat finish, it's just a tad less flat than Testors, which is just right for spot touch-ups on the MR bird. If the spots you need to do are in seams where parts connect you can even use a small brush to apply it and it should look fine as it goes on pretty thin. If you get too much on it then just wipe it off with a damp towel before it dries and do it again, and if you're ultimately not happy then you can just spray over it with an airbrush.

Last edited:
Yes Nightrider has some good points, but my falcon finish is pretty dull compared to my MR At-AT and Snowspeeder, testors dull coat blended perfect with my falcon's dull finish. To be on the safe side just dull the whole areas withing the panel line, or like nightrider suggested, just airbrush the whole falcon.

Good luck!
GFollano

Yes Nightrider has some good points, but my falcon finish is pretty dull compared to my MR At-AT and Snowspeeder, testors dull coat blended perfect with my falcon's dull finish. To be on the safe side just dull the whole areas withing the panel line, or like nightrider suggested, just airbrush the whole falcon.

Good luck!
GFollano

Thanks guys for the quick replies! This info will help tremendously. I'll provide an update later on how it goes!

Jeff

A good alternative is Aerosol Hair Spray. It produces the semi-satin look you're looking for and wipes off with soap/water. It's also great if you accidentally get some on the glossy windows because with a wet q-tip it will come right off!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back