I´m looking for emperor fabric or correct robe

I saw the real robe on tour and the fabric is simply the checkered pattern fabric used for thermal undergarments. You might be able to find it in black, but chances are you'll have to get the white and dye it black.

I saw the real robe on tour and the fabric is simply the checkered pattern fabric used for thermal undergarments. You might be able to find it in black, but chances are you'll have to get the white and dye it black.

Not likely. The only way you can do this is if you had it factory dyed. There may be a specialty dye out there that can do this too, but if you're planning on buying some RIT off the shelf and dying a piece of fabric black, it ain't gonna happen. The most you'll get is a charcoal grey. Its just the nature of the dye. There are tricks to get it darker like mixing green in to offset the red base, but if you want a true black, it doesn't happen.

There are products that may work to get the fabric black, but the reason rit dye simply fails is that all dyed fabrics today are typically treated with a colorfast solution that prevents staining.......or in this case additional dye. There are solutions which can reverse this state and allow the dye to penetrate the fabrics. I want to say that Rit also carries this solution.......I know they carry the colorfast solution so I can only guess they have the other as well. Another type of dye used on harder to dye fabrics such as nylons and polyesters is a company called Aljo. Their dyes may work much better than rit, because it's the makeup of the solvent itself which makes the fabric "accept" dyes they wouldn't otherwise. Try Aljo and see if it works better for a pre-dyed material better than Rit.

Dave :)

Not likely. The only way you can do this is if you had it factory dyed. There may be a specialty dye out there that can do this too, but if you're planning on buying some RIT off the shelf and dying a piece of fabric black, it ain't gonna happen. The most you'll get is a charcoal grey. Its just the nature of the dye. There are tricks to get it darker like mixing green in to offset the red base, but if you want a true black, it doesn't happen.

There is an auction on ebay right now for a really nice sidious robe with that wonderful waffle weave fabric, looks VERY accurate. No, not the ROTJ that you are looking for, but worth a look for sure. Just search under jedi robe and you will see it. I would post the link, but I can't remember if we are allowed to do that??

There is an auction on ebay right now for a really nice sidious robe with that wonderful waffle weave fabric, looks VERY accurate. No, not the ROTJ that you are looking for, but worth a look for sure. Just search under jedi robe and you will see it. I would post the link, but I can't remember if we are allowed to do that??

Photos can play tricks but this fabric actually does seem the closest yet to the ROTJ weave. The cut seems screen-accurate as well...:thumbsup

I found black monk's cloth when working on a Garindan costume. That might work.

http://dollarfabric.com

2508-02lg.jpg

$9 a yard, 60" wide. I'm going to look around some more, though.

Scott

There are products that may work to get the fabric black, but the reason rit dye simply fails is that all dyed fabrics today are typically treated with a colorfast solution that prevents staining.......or in this case additional dye. There are solutions which can reverse this state and allow the dye to penetrate the fabrics. I want to say that Rit also carries this solution.......I know they carry the colorfast solution so I can only guess they have the other as well. Another type of dye used on harder to dye fabrics such as nylons and polyesters is a company called Aljo. Their dyes may work much better than rit, because it's the makeup of the solvent itself which makes the fabric "accept" dyes they wouldn't otherwise. Try Aljo and see if it works better for a pre-dyed material better than Rit.

Dave :)

Yes, the stuff you are thinking of is called synthrapol. It is a gentle soap that is specifically designed to remove fabric treatments without harming the fabric. However, this will not help RIT achieve black. Black is just hard to do with household dyes, and RIT is the lowest form of dye. The closest you'll come is if you're dyeing silk, which takes dye better than any other fabric.

I could go into a whole fyi about dyeing. I've actually done my share of dyeing in both professional and educational costume shops and have had to teach dyeing to my beginner costume construction classes.

Actually, I believe that the original fabric was indeed white and dyed black.
The original is a dark charcoal-ish black, the same that you would get with traditional non-industrial dying.

If that's the case, then you should have no problem getting a charcoal. Try a procion dye as opposed to RIT. You can find it in most art stores that carry fabric painting supplies like Plaza or Pearl, or online through http://www.dharmatrading.com/ Remember also to prep your fabric properly (see synthrapol note above) and remember to use soda ash and/or plain salt to help colorfast your dye.

I found black monk's cloth when working on a Garindan costume. That might work.

http://dollarfabric.com

2508-02lg.jpg

$9 a yard, 60" wide. I'm going to look around some more, though.

Scott

I haven't seen the ref. pics, but this fits the written description. And Monk's cloth is wonderful stuff. Drapes nice and has a wonderful texture. Just unravels really easily so serge, serge, serge. Keep looking around tho. $9.00 a yd seems a bit steep. You can usually find this for $5-6. I always used to get mine at Wal-Mart back when they carried fabric because it was closer to $4 a yd.

Last edited:
Photos can play tricks but this fabric actually does seem the closest yet to the ROTJ weave. The cut seems screen-accurate as well...:thumbsup

I´ve won this auction. ìm very interested in what I will get :lol

Again: Thank you a lot!

Would anyone know where I could find proper material for just the hood? I'm getting ready to purchase this custom Palpatine bust from a fellow RPF member and I need to find the correct fabric to make a hood for it. If you could, please PM me or post the details in this thread. It would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!!

emperor7ts4.jpg

Well, a paint job that good definitely deserves the correct fabric so good luck in your search! Good camera too!! :)

Well, a paint job that good definitely deserves the correct fabric so good luck in your search! Good camera too!! :)

Hey James. Long time, no talk. In case you were wondering the Stormtrooper is still enjoying his new home. He might have a life-size Emperor joining him soon when I can find time to complete the project. For now, though, I just need to find fabric for a hood as I'm going to display this bust as-is until I can get the full size statue done. :cool

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back