Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy Fair

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
From Figures.com:

DST has big plans from replica fans this year, with the release of 4 prop replicas from Star Trek: The Original Series. Along with a Communicator and a Tricorder, DST will release two phasers, one from The Orignal Series and The Wrath of Khan. All items will retail at $30. While photography for the Tricorder and TWOK Phaser was not allowed, DST described the items in detail, highlighting their sound and the callback feature on the communicator. All are planned for 2008 release.

aadstcommunicatortoyfaiaf6.jpg

imageuploadimagezm2.jpg

imageuploadimageoz6.jpg

You can catch a glimpse of the rear of the WOK phaser to the right of the TOS phaser.

imageuploadimageau1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Art Asylum/Diamond TOS Communicator toy revealed at Toy Fair 2008

Is it any thinner then the MR?

I heard it was pretty much a copy of the STTE version, so another fat butt?

I have it on pre-order.

Also coming from Art Asylum/Diamond: more action figures from WOK, figures from TMP (!), plus "Starship Legends" versions of the 1701-D and the "All Good Things" 1701-D!

imageuploadimagevn9.jpg

dscf1128qe6.jpg

dscf1129bf6.jpg

I guess nobody told DIamond Comics that Star Trek was dead! :lol

- k

Last edited:

Is there any mention of electronics in the com?

Please let these be successfull enough to promt a tricorder!

Along with beeping sounds, there are 9 different voice phrases that include: "Enterprise, this is Kirk." (Captain Kirk)
"Spock here, Captain." (Spock)
"Bridge here, Captain."
"Transporter room ready to beam up."
"Bridge, this is the captain." (Captain Kirk)
"Enterprise to Mr. Spock."
"Captain, shall I beam down an armed party?" (Mr. Spock)
"Scotty here, Captain." (Scotty)
Entertainment Earth exclusive phrase:
"Your signal is very weak; can you turn up your gain?" (Mr. Spock)

Last edited by a moderator:

For Trek toys I always go right to New Force Comics, they have the best online deals. The Comm is preorderable for $20. (Elsewhere I've seen it for $30)

http://tinyurl.com/2deym7

Just for laffs, here's the AA vs the MR. Hard to put my finger on it but it seems like there's something subtly different about the moire ring (diameter? thickness? optical illusion?)

aavsmr01ja4.jpg

I really hope they put out the TOS Tricorder, id love to have a complete landing party set from DST!!!

Speaking of McCoys scanner.

Anyone have anything available with sounds and motor?

I know Rod.com has a kit but no sound.

Thought someone had did some nice ones here some time ago.

Okay, so who's gonna get the kydex replacement shells going?

I'm guessing nobody... since these are $20 toys, are basically identical to the Master Replicas and Vegas Experience versions that have been out for years, and there aren't any Kydex shells for those. :lol

Still... think of it like the Art Asylum Phaser, and it's a great out-of-the-box replica with great play value. Folks like USS Cassiopiea have done wonders with that phaser by adding some paint and metal parts... but it remains to be seen if there will be such modding action around the AA Communicator.

The AA TOS Enterprise toy seems "moddable" too but I haven't seen anybody actually do it.

In any case, the AA communicator may be better for gutting to use the circuit board in a more traditional "prop like" comm replica... such as the HMS, CaptJTK, or the jlong "40th anniversary" Alpha-derived kit that ought to be out soon.

I do not have one of Cassiopiea's modded AA phasers, sad to say. But you can see his fine work on his web site

http://usscassiopeia.com/

Even the correct paint job can make a huge difference on these AAs though... my pal Centralrepair painted me up a couple as a color test for the ATL phaser we did a few years back.

aaspaintedko9.jpg

No confirmation yet on the size of the AA 1701-D but since it's one of the "Starship Legends" line, I'd guess that it's about 16 inches long, like the other ones.

- k

Very cool indeed. I'll keep buying the communicators as long as they keep making them! I like to idea of a bunch of Star Trek voices, although, I bet they just cycle around in sequence and are not selectable. This version communicator reminds me of the Star Trek Experience version. So far, the STE communicator is my favorite accurate cheap-priced version.

In any case, the AA communicator may be better for gutting to use the circuit board in a more traditional "prop like" comm replica... such as the HMS, CaptJTK, or the jlong "40th anniversary" Alpha-derived kit that ought to be out soon.

I asked that in John's thread and he said if the guts are like MR's then they will not fit his comm. It's the fat butt.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back