32 inch ESB Millennium Falcon

Is it this part here you're talking about?

7mar02A.jpg

Airfix 1/72 Sherman would be a very good buy....
But ILM made a very heavy modification to it.

That is it Moe!It is a Sherman tank turret,or is it the tank body?I was sure it was a tank turret from a JagD or a Russian SU-85.....the turrets have the same basic angular shape.I knew that the part had been modified to some degree and had many other parts adheared to it&around it.I have the Hasegawa Sherman tank....I was looking through all of my 1/72 scale kits,but did'nt see it on the hasegawa kit..I was focussed on tank turrets(tunnel vission).
Anyway,thankyou very much Moe....on to identifying other parts.....I kinda have a handle on the opposite access pit...I'm pretty sure that the 1/12 JPS engine block/exhaust manifold half is on there....I'm a bit puzzled about what else is crammed in there....I think there's another 1/12 F1 part in there..and probably tank parts as well.Out of curiosity....were there 1/20 Tamiya F1 kits used to detail the Falcon as well....looks as though there is...but its hard to tell with the pictures I have,mas well as i.ding parts in the other access pits&manholes on the ship.....the pictures are too small in the Chronicals book.Anyway,offf to work I go.....thankyou again Moe..I really appreciate the help.Till next time-John

Off the top of my head..I think the rest of the little greeblies come from other 1/72 tank kits airfix,hasegawa...1/76 fujimi?I believe the other parts come from suspension parts from one or more of the 1/12 F1 kits....& possibly a couple parts from either or both the 1/72 Hasegawa Leopold,or Karl Gun Railway kits.I'm just going from memory right now....but many of the parts are familiar from looking over the kits I have.Does anyone think that there were 1/20 Tamiya F1 kit parts used on the Falcon?It seems to be a possiblitiy,but I'm grasping at straws there...anyway....back to investigating pictures&kit parts,good work Frank&Moe-John

I'll second that! 1/20 parts aplenty. I held onto a couple of kits from that era and dug them up not too long ago. It was like finding buried treasure! A friend of mine is THE F1 expert and probably owns every F1 kit Tamiya ever made. I been trying to get him into the act and see if he can I.D. anything new and hopefully it will yield some good results that I'll post here.

John, I checked those 1/12 Yardley/JPS parts in the left rear access pit on the 32" Falcon. They are indeed the engine block sides, parts #C25 & #C26. The part sitting in the middle looks remarkably like the chassis of the 1/35 PanzerSpahwagen 8-wheeled armored car that's in the same location on the 5-footer, only in 1/72 scale. I haven't yet found one in 1/72, but I'll keep looking. Also, that tank hull in the right access pit on the 5' Falcon is definitely a JadPanther. A friendly tank modeler positively I.D.d it for me.

Dan

Hiya Dan...great having the feedback..getting those creative juices flow'in..ya know?Moe&Frank seem to believe the right access pit has the 1/72 scale airfix Sherman tank body in there...(heavily modified)...I was thinking the part was either the 1/72or1/76 scale JagD or a Russian SU-85 turret part,or tank body?All the other little parts that Moe scaned&highlighted seem to be from other 1/72 scale tanks kits&I think the 1/72 Leopold&Karl Railway Gun kits..and some susension parts from either 1/12,or 1/20 F1 Tamiya kits.You can get a half decent idea from a Chronicals photo(unpainted).I've looked,but I've never seen or heard of an 8-rad in 1/72 scale....who woulda made it in 1/72?Airfix,Esci....maybe in 1/76...Fujimi?Anyway....is it reasonable to think/guess that the 1/20 F1 kits used are the same as the 1/12 on the Falcon?Meaning the JPS,Ferrari 312B&312T3,Yardley&P34 Tyrrell?Just when I thought I was easing down from buying kits....oh well..the more the merrier I guess.Anyway......thanks for the input&fortifying Dan....I'll keep looking....& gonna try to i.d other parts in the other access pits&manholes...but I dont know how I'll do it,I dont have close ups of those areas&the Chronical picturs are hard to see.If you have any insight into those areas...give out a holler..till next time-John

'lotta 1/20 and 1/72... with a little 1/35 russian... Sounds like one heck of a drink!
My webpage has been getting too much traafic... I hope they don't take it down! I am in the process of downloading all the stuff I have on there in case they do... but what do I do with all of it then? You guys need the info somehow...

Hey everyone,I think I may have i.ded another part on the Falcon,unless its been found already.Its hard to see from the picture Moe scanned above with all the highlights on it,but I've narrowed it down to a possible assembly from the 1/72 Hasegawa Leopold Gun Railway.I think its the part(again on the right hand upper side rear "access pit).I think it is the bridge looking part that extends from the center of the 1/72 Sherman,or JagD Tank part.I think it is part#B62,34&35 from the Leopold kit.....possibly modified/chopped?I may be wrong.....but it may also be in the opposite left hand upper access pit as well.I dont know if any company made a 1/72 8-rad.Its hard for me to see the detail from the Chronicals..the pictures are too small.Does anyone one know where i can get close-up pictures of all the access pits on the 32" Falcon...above&below?Anyway.if someone wants to take a crack at it&confirm my possible find...by all means...."fire away".....I'll keep searching..till next time-John

I'm having 2nd thoughts about the Leopold parts I mentioned earlier....but my gut tells me that they are in there....either that or it is strut/suspension parts from 1 or more of the 1/20 F1 kits.I can see 2 of the F1 kit parts in there,looks to be from the same F1 kit....the ass end of the transmission w/tranny struts on them...almost looks like motercycle parts.....but I know thats not what they are.I hate 2nd guessing myself....back to the drawing board...anyone care to take a crack at the top access pit in the rear..maybe narrow down the suspects a tad?

John,

No offense....but reading your description on WHERE parts are..is like reading a CHINESE ROAD MAP and just as useful for those that might need the info.

Post a Picture to help these folks...its much easier to understand. If you cant post a pic.....have someone post it for you.

I already know what the parts are...but..I still have no idea what you are talking about. HA!

Hope you keep your usual sense of humor and not be offended. Not my intent.

This applies to everyone. PICTURES!! Thats what Moe and I communicate with. I think its great people are Buddying up to build and swap info. Its a great way to do it. Good advice....no more than one buddy. "Too many cooks..."

Best...

Frank

I believe somebody mentioned that some Bandai tanks were used on the falcon. Could anyone enlighten me on this subject? Does Bandai still make tank kits or are these on the rare kit list?

Also I have got to say these 1/12 F1 kits are not cheap. I bought a Ferrari 312B and a Tyrrell and spent almost a third of what I spent buying the other kits on Morten's list. The 1/20 seem to be a lot more reasonable. Does anyone know which 1/20 kits were used?

Bill

The Bandai military kits are no longer made to my knowledge,so ya gotta go through adds in model magazines&ebay,model shows&swap meets...or a really,really good hoby store.I cant think of the Bandai kit(s) that (may) have been used on the Falcon....possibly the 8-Rad?To my knowledge...I think the 1/12 JPS&Yardley engine part(s) were used in a few places here&there( inside top rear L.H.S access pit) rear engine detail.? I think the 1/20 kit parts were the Ferrari 312BorT3(they have similar engine parts).The 1/20 Tyrrell,Yardley also,but Im not sure if all of those were made in 1/20 scale...but I think they were.I know in one of the upper rear access pits..actually the one Moe scannned above on this page has 1/20 parts in it..but I have'nt got the kit(s)...so Im left up to guessing.I think they are 1/20 Ferrari parts...look in yur Chronicals book..you can see'em plain as day.Looks like the the back end of what looks to be transmission housings w/struts attached..and some other suspension or front end parts.I can alwasy use help in i.ding parts.....it's not one of my strong points,and its frustraiting.Especially when I want to build,but cant because of lack of info,or my own limitatons/experience/means of extracting the info I need& being able to make it into tangable material.Anyway,keep coming back with what ya got....the more useful info the better..catch ya later-John

My Panzerspahwagen 8rad kit is mid-70s and has a little catalog that lists the tamiya kits of the time, althought I don't know if it is complete. Under the Grand Prix collection 1/20 scale, it lists:

Tyrrell Ford P34
McLaren M23
Porsche 928
JPS MkIII
Porsche 935 Turbo
Wolf WR-1

Anybody know if any of these were used? Frank? Morten? I also have a question. We discuss the "32inch" Falcon, but the Lucasfilm archives book list the length as 76cm. That would be just under 30 inches. Am I missing something?

McLaren,6 wheeled Tyrrell,JPS&Ferrari 312B were used I believe in 1/20 scale(various parts)all over the back end of the Falcon's engine deck..lots of suspension parts from the looks of it.Also in 1/12 scale I know the McLaren,and either or both the JPS&Ferrari 312B engine parts(used in the upper rear left access pit)There are engine block(valve covers/heads?)&manifold parts seen,at least by my eyes.Im not sure about the 1/12 Tyrrell if it was used or not.I'm wondering if the 1/48 Bandai 8-Rad parts were put on the Falcon or not either?Then of course the many 1/35&1/72 tank parts all over there as well.Im trying to i.d these things..but its slow in the do'in.Keep yur eyes peeled&give out a hollar when you find,or even think you see parts-John

Congratulations bwise for the Oscar that "For the Birds" won last night! How's it feel? I think I heard your name mentioned as well.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I just got back from LA a little while ago and it still doesn't feel real. It feels really great though. Actually being at the show was like being in a movie itself. Made my mom pretty proud too
icon_smile.gif

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back