32 inch ESB Millennium Falcon

Hey! Lee, I'm game! Add me to your E-mail list if it's a go. I'm far from being ready to start on my bird but any info and parts that may be shared is always a good thing.

Rolando

Ok I'll add you to the list(two of us so far
icon_wink.gif
. We'll give it a day or so for folks to jump on board and then I'll make a post here of the people interested and we'll start it up. we may also get some stragglers and and then we'll close it off. Only reason for closing it off is "too many cooks in the kitchen" and it could get too confusing. Do you agree? And once we build the list we'll delete these posts on the boards to clean up the wasted topic space and start cranking out the research.

Lee

Woah... looks like my crappy little geocities site has been getting so much traffic that they had to temporarily shut it off! As soon as I get an internet connection at my place, I plan on doing some new stuff on that page. The thing is... I can do better with the model kit info than what I have posted there... Is anyone interested in me doing this? Yes or No?

bwise... welcome aboard!

I think that would be great! just give us a link once you get it going. It would be easier for all of us thanks! Plus all can see and share that way.

Lee

This seems like a pretty good idea if you guys can pull it off...splitting up the cost of the very expenssive&rare 1/8 Entex Porsche kit.Unfortunately I can't go in on it..Ive already too much money invested in the one I am buying&I owe $$$ still.Anyway...onto greener pastures.Ive been starring at pics of the Falcon in the Chronicals book,and Ive narrowed down a part id that is making me a little nuts.I'm certain of what it is,but cant place the exact kit it is from.I'm sure this is a part that has been i.d already.Anyway....the rear access pit on top of the Falcon(right hand/cockpit side)....the main part in there is what I'm sure is a 1/72 scale tank turret/tank body...either one of those,or its the main gun assembly from the 1/72 Hasegawa Karl kit..but I'm almost certain its not.I think 1/35 scale would be too large..so its gotta be 1/72..I'd be surprised if its 1/35 scale.Could someone maybe clarify this....point me in the right direction...even if I'm way off target.Also..the opposite access pit top left hand side.....please correct me if I'm wrong...but one of the main parts on that side,is it part of a 1/12 Tamiya F1 kit....from the engine block maybe?It looks like exhaust manifolds,or its the top of the head where the carburators sit,it looks familiar,but cant place it.I'm a little stumped on that one.Anyway..if anyone can shed some light on those 2 areas..I'd much appreciate it,thanks a bunch-John

Man, I didn't get a chance to read this thread for a couple days and I think I missed out on something.

Flintlock, if you're starting a list for the Falcon like the X & Y, I say go for it. I've been compiling kit info on this one for awhile and I hope I can contribute something worthy. If someone's also going to cast up Porshe parts, just give me a dollar amount and count me in.

John, the parts you're talking about in the left, rear access pit are indeed Tamiya 1/12 F1 parts. They're from the Ford engine that's in the Yardley McLaren and John Player Special. I'll double check just to make sure.

Dan

I'm not going to start a list... I'm going to update a table that has kit and model info in it. It may end up as an excel spreadsheet too, in the future...

I thought it looked familiar...the top half of the engine block from the 1/12 JPS kit.....how about the right hand side....opposite?Am I on the right track?Is it a tank turret?I just cant figure the exact kit/make...and I'm a little wishy washy on the scale of it..Im thinking 1/72,or 1/48?It has a number of other small 1/72 tank parts glued on it from my reccollection.....small breach parts...other greeeblies....and I think it has 1/72 Hasegawa Karl parts on there..but not positive yet..its hard to seee in the Chronical book..I need more/better references.If ya can..get back to me on this..thanks Dan-John

I have also been compiling a list of kits in excel. My start was a list Morten posted about a year ago, and I have amended it as conversation here has mentioned others. I have been concentrating on getting the kits from that list that are apparently not still being made, and the only super rare one I know of yet, the Porsche transmission. I would love to expand and consolidate this list with others and confirm that the kits listed are actually being used, but info sharing has seemed like a bit of a political issue, and being new I didn't want to break any codes of conduct.

Ultimately I'd like us all to be able to build these models as quickly as possible, and more importantly to be able to have as much fun as possible doing it. To me that means sharing information and supporting others. When it comes to finding and sharing castings of the rare kits, I would like to be able to do that. On the Porsche 935 part for example, even if it goes for $800 to $900 dollars if 10 of us chipped in we could get our cost down to one that I find reasonable. If we had an open information and rare part sharing policy then we could have a posted, official kit list that everyone could refer and add to and debate, and more of us are likely to end of with the parts we need.

I realize kit part sharing is more effort, in terms of logistics, who buys the kit? who does the casting? Is that person going to be responsible for fielding all requests by new people for that part or parts? etc, but if we could manage this I think we might all benefit. Just my thoughts, what do people think?

There was some discussion of the Tamiya 1/12 F1. On ebay I found a
Tamiya 1/12th scale Honda F1
Tamiya 1/12th scale Lotus 49B Ford F1
Tamiya 1/12th scale Tyrrell Ford F1

I also found a Tamiya - 1/12 Mclaren Honda MP4/6 (pricey!)

are these the kits referred to? And do you need the F1 *AND* the Mclaren or can you get the needed parts from either?
Hey I'm a spaceship guy, not a car guy
icon_smile.gif

Tamiya offered their subjects in many scales...but I guess it depened upon their popularity?I've seen the JPS in 1/20 scale by entex.If tamiya does'nt make a kit in a particular scale..I've seen it in others such as fujimi,entex or bandai ect.I'm not positive if Tamiya Made the Tyrrell P34 six wheeler,Yardley Mclaren,or Ferrari 312BorT in 1/20 scales or not.I believe they were the large 1/12 scales only,but I could be wrong.
The F1 kits Im aware of that were employed on the 32" studio Falcon were the Tamiya 1/12 scale Tyrrell P34 six wheeler,1/12 Yardley Mclaren,1/12 Ferrari 312B...and or T3 and the JPS Lotus MKIII.The rear engine deck is littered with the F1 parts parts...also bunches of armor parts from various kits....too many for me to remember,and I dont know all of them yet.
I'm just trying to identify one area at a time...starting with small bits like the access pits&forward manholes on top&below the Falcon.To get info,the going trend in here is "you have to make yur bones".Usually that means identifying "new" kit parts which is far more difficult than you can possibly imagine.I think much of the 32" Falcon's kit bashing parts have been identified to date.I could never figure out what places people are stumped on,so I dont know which area to focus on,plus....everyone who is attempting to tackle this project are in different stages of construction.
About 4-5 guys are building it I know of in here,while others like myself move a bit slower(time&money are factors)and are in planning stages(Hell..I've been trying for a couple of weeks now to get acurate,good working prints made)and just trying to gather as much info as possible in researching.I try to put in my 10 cents as much as I can...but since I think I've missed the boat on i.ding parts......I'm going to offer other things/alternatives such as part castings ect,ect....and maybe other fabricated parts.It really depends if its "in need" or not.Anyway,"thats about all I have to say about that."I'm focussed on the accesss pits/manholes&i.ding parts in them.If anyone else wants to join in,help/back me up...the more help...the merrier.I need bigger/better pictures that focus on these spots,and have'nt got any...the Chronicals pictures are too small.Anyway,back to work...TTFN-John

Hey Frank,

yeah I definitely agree that casting parts would take some time, and I'm only advocating it for the rare parts like the entex trans as a way to make it affordable for more folks. Honestly that might be naivete on my part because I don't realize yet how many rare parts there are. The 1/12 formula race cars are pretty pricey but nothing compared to the entex, if you can even find one. I'm also assuming there aren't that many of us that are just starting out and don't have these kits yet. If it were hundreds of guys screaming for an entex casting somebody'd have to start a business...say, wait a minute
icon_smile.gif

No seriously, this is just something I would like to be able to do to save money and make things less competitive, but it's just me and I don't want to force it if nobody's into it.

Can I make another suggestion? If a kit was used on the falcon, is still in production and is common knowledge can we make that list public? That way new guys will have a place to start and hopefully be able to contribute new information sooner. Moes list was a great place to start, but I don't know if that is half the kits I need or what.

I'm not certain which kits are still in production,and what ones kit makers like Hasegawa,Tamiya&Airfix have discontinued,or re-released.I suppose alot of it depends on the hobby shop you go to?Anything Entex&Bandai are out of production,that's obvious.I attempted to order a Hasegawa Leopold Gun Railway this last summer....it was still available...but I never got it..the distrobution of those kinds of kits is a handful apparently....I think it was listed at about $38.00 something cents plus tax.
Most kits Tamiya makes are in production cause of military armour's popularity.Getting a catalog of Tamiya,Hasegawa&Airfix would help a great deal,so then you'd know what you can&can't get...and have to look elsewhere to find...either on ebay,or other.The 1/12 Tamiya F1 cars are out of production...only way to find them is on ebay,a good hobby shop that deals in discontinued kits...or in adds on the back of model magazines.
I think it be a good gesture to get a "basic list" started for those who want to seriously tackle the Falcon,the other kits would have to be found out other ways...the old fassion way...look,look,stare,look.....I've been doing that for months.
Kit parts are always easier to identify after you have purchased the actual kit....then you see what goes where&from what kit..if you know/understand the basic makeup of the kitbashing gone into the original.Some parts are difficult cause they have been further modified...or all that paint&weathering done in photos of the original ILM minature is tough to see through.Resources are a pain..the Chronicals is great..but the pitures are small...I am kicking myself for not attending any of the ILM/Lucas exibits where I could have got great photos.There are a couple great web pages..Tim&Moes webpages are terriffic..great pictures&heaps of information.Anyway......thats about all I have for now...keep the ideas flowing..hopefully no one will step on any toes in the process-John

Hey everyone....I think I've i.d the main part on the upper rear right access pit on the 32" Falcon...well..least Ive narrowed it down to 3 different tanks,but could use some help making final verrifification.I believe the scale will be either 1/48(1/48 might be too big)1/72,or possibly 1/76..and if for sure has to be a tank turret from either a panther tank,JagDtiger,or a Russian SU-85 tank.I'm not sure on the kit make...could possibly be either Airfix,Esci,Bandai..or a Fujimi kit??If anyone out there has anything to add...to either narrow it down further,or tell me I'm way off..I'd much appreciate any help.Anyways..thats what I think. Frank,Moe or Tim,maybe you have some words of wisdom to add?Thanks a bunch everyone....I'll check with you'z guys later-John

I'm sorry I don't have a means of posting/scanning pictures..but this is the best I can do at the moment.I hope it is discriptive enough.On pages 94,96&177 of the Chronicals book, there are top view pictures of the Falcon....the right hand side,rear access pit (cockpit side).Page 177 is an odd ball shot...but in all the pictures you can see the "main part" in the access pit...a geometric shape..that of what looks to me a tank turret minus gun barrel and it may have be modified to some degree...along with other parts attached to it what looks like F1 parts&a few other tank parts...maybe some hasegawa Leopold/ Karl parts on there?I am almost certain the part is of a tank turret,I am just having trouble i.ding the kind/make exactly.I'm pretty sure its from a 1/72,or 1/76 scale tank kit...I think 1/48 would be too big.I think the part is of a JagD tank,or a Russian SU-85 tank...not sure its a Panther part anymore.
As far as the "opposite" left hand top access pit goes,I think that one has part of the engine block from a 1/12 JPS MKIII and also some other F1 parts...either the 312B Ferrari,or the Tyrrell..not sure yet,I dont have those kits yet.Hopefully someone can shed some light on this..so I can further identify the parts&study the pictures&kit parts I do have.Its a bit difficult,cause those pictures are'nt large enough to really see the detail..I've been relying on a couple web sites for closer,detail shots.Anyway,if ya can.I'd much appreciate any help...thanks again-John

Look up this web page www.steinschneider.com/props/star_wars...theres a whole series of good Falcon pictures.(19 in all)It is obviously pictures of the 5ft minature,but on picture #16&17 you get a clear shot of the right rear top side accesss pitt & a close look at the part I'm referring to.It must be a 1/35 scale tank part scale used on the 5ft model.I dont believe there are really any other close photos of any other access pits...this is the best one I've seen next to looking over the model closely at a Lucas/ILM exibit.There is a decent picture on the Starship modeler page of the opposite access pitt,but not close enough really.I could use some other/better photo references..but Im plum out.Lemme know what ya think,put in yur 10 cents worth if ya can...thanks again-John

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back