Identifying Dean Corso's bag from The Ninth Gate

How bad is it? Got any pics?

The condition is really good, it's just a bit dusty from storage.

I have been slowly restoring it, and it gets more and more gorgeous.. I figured I would clean up the jute canvas with woolite to protect the fibers.. and it did a nice job of getting that dusty look off the fabric. The leather is amazing, you just can't reproduce the look of old leather like that. After treating it, it really came to a nice shine.

I will post some pictures up here shortly.. I have a friend who might be interested in the bag. It's been a real fun restoration project regardless.

Pictures as promised of one of my bags.. I don't know about everyone elses, but mine are both green? Some of yours look khaki brown colored almost.

The bags cleaned up real nice.. just a bit of woolite and some warm water.. and let self dry outside or inside. The leather is amazing, far better than the repro bag which I have seen.

Btw,

I just wanted to say this place is a fantastic resource. The best information I received about this bag was from this exact thread. It is because of this thread, I was not only able to find one bag, but two bags. They do run about 100 euros or $130 IF you can find them.. even the really ripped up ones on french ebay are now selling for big bucks. I guess people here have been snatching them up too quickly!

I found mine through an old militaria vendor.. No price break, but everything in tact and in good condition. There is just something about the real bags that the old bags don't have.. the quality of the leather and the age.. Just amazing.

These were a real fun restoration project.. If anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer :) Thanks again to everyone here for all the help!

Here are some photos after the leather has been restored and the canvas cleaned up.. For some reason the photos make it look "lighter" in color than it really is. Both the leather and the jute canvas are a few shades darker and more rich.

It's been a fun little journey obtaining one of these bags. Crazy how two ended up coming through at the same time ;) If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.. I'll be happy to help. I know for some getting a hold of one of these gorgeous bags has been impossible. I might be able to point you in the right direction.

The hunt for one was fun, and the restoration even more fun. These are incredible bags with incredible character. My friend has the replica bag.. it's ok.. but to me the whole purpose of the bag is the character and the story. Every french soldier had one of these bags in the second world war.

Hope this helps!

Ok,

just as a thankyou for all the helpful information in this thread. Some FINAL photos after the restoration.

What I used - some woolite diluted in warm water to clean the canvas and get rid of the dirt and dust. Then I used some sno-seal to restore the leather, which made it nice and soft, and darkened it it bit.

Since there isn't anymore interest in this thread.. I'll leave it at that.. Thanks to this nifty place for all the great info.. Keep on searching folks.. French ebay is your best bet.. although I got mine from an old collectible militaria shop.

I did have one question.. Is anybody elses bag green?

hello. been trying to find a original for a long time. can somebody let me know if the items in this picture might be an mle 1935. thanks screenshot_01.jpg

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, found it while trying to find out what type of bag Corso carried in the movie. Obviously I found the right place, this site is amazing !!! It's nice to know I'm not alone in my search for specific items from movies.

Anyway I was hoping someone might be able to help me find out where I can purchase one either online or from a member here...I'm open to any offers.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

j.

Yes, I'd agree...the upper left appears to be it. If you'd be interested in selling it PM me....I'd be VERY interested in acquiring it.

i bought the Schipperfabrik reproduction. very unhappy because of color. i also would pay ''A LOT OF MONEY'' for a nice used one in the dark olive color.

Do you have the one in the pic above? That appears to be the correct bag? A little Woolite and and some mink oil on the leather trim to soften it up and breath some life into it and you should be good.

Do you have the one in the pic above? That appears to be the correct bag? A little Woolite and and some mink oil on the leather trim to soften it up and breath some life into it and you should be good.

no. not mine. as of today's post. there are a few on leboncoin. search musette 1935.

if there is anybody who could help me , i would really appreciate it.

I found the site, but I don't speak/read French. I've tried using Google Translate, which helps, but what region did you find the bags? It appears you need to select a region to search...or am I missing something?

Ahhhh never mind...found them both. I don't think the first guy will separate the lot. I emailed both to see if they're willing to ship to the United States. If I can land both, you're more than welcome to buy one off me...

One of the guys I work with, his parents have a home in the South of France. I might be able to have them shipped there then picked up in a couple months when they're back from the UK. I'll keep ya posted...

Last edited:
just saw Depp musette bag on ebay, too bad it's not an auction. i know a few of us are after one. i still have my reproduction bag from schipperfabrik, which IMO is a real let down. anyway... :unsure

I never knew I needed one of these until I went through this thread! I'll hopefully be picking one up sometime soon.

Finally managed to get a real one (thanks Julien). Unfortunately, it is missing the strap. The hunt continues...

Hello everyone. I see that Dean Corso's bag has been already discussed here, but, if I am not mistaken, there is a crucial detail about it that hasn't been mentionned yet.
If there are roughly three known types of musette modèle 35, the third with the leather rims replaced by cotton fabric being extremely scarce, there are also several types of straps.

The first type, shown here, very well made and of course far too expensive,is the scarcest of them all :

ptkq.jpg

The second type is just a cheaper, easier to assemble version of it. The third type ( the one in the background ) has a very distinctive hook meant to fasten more efficiently the musette when it is carried hanging from the belt.

mfve.jpg

From what I have seen in the movie Dean Corso's bag is fitted with a second type strap, which seems reasonnable as it is the most common variation of the three.
People who are in desperate need of a strap may have an opportunity to find one on an impractical experimental musette bag that was tested as soon as 1945 and that can be rather easily found on french auction web sites as no one quite knows what it is. Here comes a picture of the thing, that is obviously an improved ( or at least that's what it's creator thought ) version of the 1935 model :

1won.jpg

Even if some of these M45 bags were attributed to soldiers during the Indochina war they are not typical so they are still very affordable...

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a strap a while back. I'll have to see what kind it is now. :) Love the bag and the movie.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back