Identifying Dean Corso's bag from The Ninth Gate

Here's a replica that, with some weathering, would look spot on (thanks Costantino!): Mle 1935 musette (side pack) [100407] - $54.95 : Schipperfabrik, The World's Finest Historical Reproduction
fr-musette.jpg

What are the dimensions of the schipperfabrik bag? I would like to use it for work but I need to know if it's big enough for regular sized notebooks, etc.
Thanks.

I've been thinking about adding a bit more to this thread, and with the above posters question, I think I will. So, the dimensions of the actual bag. They are roughly, 12inx9inx4in or 30cmx22cmx11cm.

Things that do not fit:
Medium to larger magazines, three ring binders, larger notebooks, laptops(unless you have a netbook or something similar) and, of course, anything else that might not line up with one or more of the above dimensions.

Given that I love this bag (and it is the bag that I fell in love with, not the movie) I have, since getting hold of an original and a repro(of the two I prefer the repro for color and bag life), found that, despite my love for it, it is less than ideally functional for my particular needs. This being the case, I changed my needs to suit the bag while I continued to look for the closest possible approximation, but with some more functionality. Below are my best finds for anyone else who is in my situation.

My criteria for this search was first and foremost, size, followed closely by shape, color and features. Size, because, though I wanted a larger bag, I wanted to maintain the lightness and the general look of the actual bag. Color, shape and features (straps, pockets, buckles etc.) are self explanatory. If you do not mind the bag being far too large to really resemble the actual bag, then this opens up a lot of options. There are numerous canvas and leather bags out there that fit the profile. Fishing bags, anglers bags, Timberland Canvas messenger and so on. So, finally, here we go, in no particular order, except for the last one.

Barbour Tarras Spring bag, Earth

Sandstorm fishing bag, Sand

Rogue Bush Sling bag, one of the lesser likenesses, as not leather trim o nthe flap, but it looks like a nice bag

FCUK Fishing bag, has faux leather and the straps seems a bit slim but worth a look

Wolsey Canvas Messenger Bag, looks very nice, but is seemingly out of production and really hard to find

Lastly, and my particular favorite, is the Ralph Lauren, Rugby Brand Canvas Messenger bag.

If you are looking for the closest possible approximation to the actual bag, but need more out of it than the bag can provide, then I hope the above little list is of help. Good luck out there and if anyone finds anything better than what I have thus far, then jump in here and let us know. Thanks.

I got my mle musette 1935 bag repro from Schipperfabrik yesterday. It is an awesome bag. If you look at the various pictures out there, you will see pics that show the bag as a greenish canvas, a light khaki canvas, and a brown khaki canvas - like a cardboard box. The schipperfabrik website shows the bag as the green color while the photo of the repro showed the light khaki. So I was surprised to find that the actual color was the brown khaki color. I think I like the actual color it came as best of all.

The best part of this bag is the smell!!!!

The bag is quite functional for me. I bought it to carry around my iPad (in a Portenzo case) and other odds and ends as I wander about Austria in a couple weeks. This bag should be perfect for that.

I watched the movie again last night. The bag that ships appears to be a perfect replica to the one Johnny Depp carries - even the color is correct.

byblyos or GCV, could you post more pictures of yours bags? I would be grateful!
GCV, how much did you pay for shipment to Europe and how long have you been waiting for parcel?

Last edited:
Hi!

I've bought the replica model from Schipperfabrik and was wondering what I could do to make it seem more weathered?

All help is greatly appreciated!

I'm also impressed by the good detective work shown in this topic! :)

Well, I was thinking that the bag was much more a Musette MLE 1935...?

But if you want to weather it quickly, wash it with peebles, inside an other bag (to protect the washing machine), at 40°c and 1200 tour per minutes !

Well, I was thinking that the bag was much more a Musette MLE 1935...?

But if you want to weather it quickly, wash it with peebles, inside an other bag (to protect the washing machine), at 40°c and 1200 tour per minutes !

Thanks for the quick answer!

Peebles = Small rocks? And sorry if this is a stupid question, but the leather will handle the wash? And what kind of bag would one use to protect the washing machine?

I feel a bit stupid, but I greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks for the quick answer!

Peebles = Small rocks? And sorry if this is a stupid question, but the leather will handle the wash? And what kind of bag would one use to protect the washing machine?

I feel a bit stupid, but I greatly appreciate your help!

Yes, I meant small stones !

The leather will also be weathered, but you can start with a first light wash, just to see how it works...

i have used my old Eastpack school bag, surrounded by towels, the tip is to protect the washing machine drum, because, I don't know if you are married or not, but your wife will not appreciate that ;) !

This is the quickest method, but you can wash it several times without the stones !

elgpostei (or someone else) can you tell me how long have you been waiting for parcel? (from Schipperfabrik).

Last edited:
The Schipperfabrik bag is nice but I found the leather around the trim to be thin and cheap. The bag on the right is the exact bag from the Ninth Gate. The canvas and leather are in perfect condition, much stronger than the reproduction.

A few days ago I received a package from Schipperfabrik with bag (To Poland parcel goes about 8 days). The bag is great, I really like it! The colour and smell are the best!

If anybody wants I can upload a few photos.

I have an original bag from the production. And I saw the replica from the schipperfabrik. The replica is bad canvas and bad size.
The original is a french musette modèle 1935 to carry ammo and pod for 1929 rifle.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back