Judge Dredd coming to Austin, Texas

Wake

A documentary about John Hicklenton is going to be premiered at the South by South West film festival next month and I have been asked to help put together a promotional Judge Dredd costume for the event. The festival is in Austin, Texas but the film makers and John himself will be flying out from the UK.

One of the film makers is going to be wearing the costume, so I am hoping that if he can buy himself a black leather one-piece suit, we can use my Termight Replicas helmet and back plus shoulder pads and accessories from another Dredd costume I own (which wouldn't be high enough quality by itself).

Are there any US Dredd fans who might be at or near the festival?

Is there anyone in the UK who might have a suitable black suit that they would be willing to sell?

If and when I have photos of the costume (finished or work in progress) I'll post them to this thread.

Cheers,

Wake

Dreddfire.jpg

I'll have to try and make this! I live in Temple and it would be awesome to see it in person not to mention take in the festival.

I'm a comicbook artist who lives in Austin! You bet I'll be there!

SXSW is a lot of fun. Music and Movies take over the town for two weeks. Lots of cute girls and free booze. A real blast.

If John Hicklenton is up to it, he should do a signing over at Austin Books (aka the best comic shop you'll ever visit.) I'm sure they would throw a party and help promote the Doc's showing.

Drop me a line if you are interested.

www.nickderington.com
nickdaring @T hotmail.com

Nick

Funny you should mention Judge Dredd costumes.

There's going to be a group at DragonCon 08, there are going to be Movie AND Comic versions present....

I'm in the UK and am currently working on some new Comic style costumes with the man himself.....John Baylis.

He's currently at work on a brand new helmet (apparently even better then the Termight Replica ones......yay!) and a new Mark 2 Lawgiver.

We're actually debating the bodysuit at the moment......obviously leather will look better, it's just a matter of the American weather, plus overall budget for the costume......as there will hopefully be a few of us comic style street judges, and we want to keep the overall budget managable for everyone.

If budget is no problem there is always this bodysuit....

1189017535-3280.jpg

If budget is no problem there is always this bodysuit....

Thanks for the suggestion. I was put off a little put off by the zip going under the crotch to the back of the waist. I'm currently looking at a customised (i.e. plainer) version of this:

Chaos%20suit-1.jpg

A leather suit has been ordered and I've bought some brass chain to link the badge to the zipper. The links in the chain have an external length of about 22mm and a diameter of about 3mm. I'm currently looking for a brass quick link of the same size but I haven't found any online.

QUICKLINKsm.jpg

I had a chat with Mr Baylis,

apparently he's already working on the new helmets.....they sound cool. He's still using the same design as the one's for Termight replicas but apparently finishing them up to some near mirror finish which sounds cool.

Apparently he's talking to the Termight replicas guy to get some eagle designs for the side of the new lawgiver he's working on.

I might give the guy from Termight a shout and get a couple myself, for a little silly project I was thinking about doing.

Anyone know how to get ahold of him?

And that left shoulder pad looks awesome.

A leather suit has been ordered and I've bought some brass chain to link the badge to the zipper.

I've given up looking for quick links. This evening I sawed through the end link of the chain and attached it to the badge by bending it open and reclosing it. I haven't cut the chain to length yet - I'll wait for the suit for that, but I'm guessing that 21 links should be about right.

dredd_chain.jpg

I managed to take some decent photos of the leathers and pads this morning. I'll have to wait until Saturday to find out if it fits.

dredd_costume2.jpg

dredd_costume3.jpg

More photos later, but here's a pic of the Here's Johnny promo costume being worn.

dredd_1.jpg

Wake,

It looks fantastic! Always been a fan of the Judge, hell! I still have have the old 2000AD progs...:) Can't believe I misplace his Crime Files though!

Again, nice work! And I love your Johnny Alpha's Westinghouse Blaster! Sweet!

I think I may want to hit you up for one of the Dredd's Helms soon...:)

Stay safe and thanks for sharing!

Tim.

Here are some photos taken yesterday showing some alterations.

The boots are OXTAR and the black security belt has a holder for the daystick and a holster.

The daystick and shoulder pads are original movie props. The Dredd badge is a resin replica, but he's going to see if the comic badge can be attached with Velcro instead. I think that both styles of shoulder pads are going to see use in Austin.

street_dredd1.jpg

street_dredd2.jpg

security_belt.jpg

oxtar_boots.jpg

If John Hicklenton is up to it, he should do a signing over at Austin Books (aka the best comic shop you'll ever visit.) I'm sure they would throw a party and help promote the Doc's showing.

I believe that a signing at Austin Books has been organised, but I'm not sure what day.

The film itself should be screening at 10:30am on Tuesday. [More info]

Adam Lavis, the editor, is planning to wear the costume a lot during the festival so if anyone sees him, please say hello and post a pic to this thread if possible.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back