Boushh Helmet Sculpt...almost there

Sandman

Boushh Helmet Sculpt...Updated 1-7-10 w/ pics

Well, I've been working on this sculpt for several months now and want to share my progress with the group. It has taken me a lot longer than I thought it would since this is my first sculpt and I'm learning as I go.

This all started when I wanted to get a new helmet for my wife. She has been wearing a fiberglass helmet that was made by Brian Freiburger who no longer makes them. His helmet is great but HEAVY!

I needed a light helmet that would fit my wife's small frame so I decided to take on the challenge. I am waiting for one more model to be delivered and then I can cast all the greeblies and fabricate the mouth piece. Let me know what you think. I am totally open to criticism so fire away!

Todd

Last edited:
Hey Todd, I think it looks really good. Maybe a little to angular in places, but still awesome and recognizable. I think you should be very proud.

Hey Todd, I think it looks really good. Maybe a little to angular in places, but still awesome and recognizable. I think you should be very proud.

Thanks Batman! Yes, I left all of the edges sharp so I could make sure I got all of the angles right. The first pull from this sculpt will be sanded and fine tuned. At that time I plan on knocking down all the sharp edges and smoothing everything out.

Then I have to make a buck of just the top part of the helmet so I can vac-form the detail piece on top and glue it to the first pull. Once everything is dialed in, I'll make a master.

Todd

Nice looking job. I totally understand how long this helmet can take, believe me. I've been working on mine off and on for about 10+ YEARS now. Boushh is my favorite Star Wars costume and I'm trying to get it as accurate as possible. Plus, it's really my first helmet sculpt and getting things smooth and accurate are extremely difficult. Congrats on getting there.

Nice looking job. I totally understand how long this helmet can take, believe me. I've been working on mine off and on for about 10+ YEARS now. Boushh is my favorite Star Wars costume and I'm trying to get it as accurate as possible. Plus, it's really my first helmet sculpt and getting things smooth and accurate are extremely difficult. Congrats on getting there.

Thanks Stevo! And keep it up! I've found that the more you sculpt, the more you learn and the easier it gets. I'm making some small changes and my last model just came in the mail so I'll post some more pics when I get the model pieces in place. Thanks again everyone for the nice words.

Todd

Model pieces for the helmet are now in the molds...

And the helmet is all raked out and ready for final smoothing...

Almost ready for silicone!!!!

Todd

Final smoothing in progress and I mocked up the model pieces for the ears to make sure all the sizing is correct.

Todd

SCULPT IS FINISHED!!!!!

BoushhHelmet016.jpg

BoushhHelmet015.jpg

BoushhHelmet014.jpg

BoushhHelmet013.jpg

BoushhHelmet020.jpg

BoushhHelmet019.jpg

BoushhHelmet018.jpg

BoushhHelmet017.jpg

AND ITS IN SILICONE!!!!

Todd

Last edited:
Todd, looking good! I've never attempted such a project, so I can only imagine how difficult it must be. Keep at it and it'll be perfect!

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys!!! I got the second coat of silicone on it this morning...with a little sprinkle of recycled silicone goodness! :lol

Todd

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back