Star Wars Prop License has been picked up?

Yeah, I was reading about that over at rebelscum. There was a lot of speculation about it, but I hadn't seen that latest tidbit. Interesting.

EFXcollectibles.com is registered to ToyTEQ, a company owned by Bryan Ono who was/is with Master Replicas. ToyTEQ's website shows one of their clients as MR. So it's definitely interesting that collectibles of potentially the same caliber are going to be available.

Is that a McQuarrie pre pro Vader on the EFX website? Sure looks like one.

Although it does look like the McQ Vader that is on the cover the pre-movie SW novel...
novel.jpg

I think that instead it is the image that I've seen on some of the SW Lego packaging.
LEGO-Star-Wars-Sith-Infiltrator_2.jpg

Perhaps the image is from LFL Licensing for the company to use? Although Official McQ props would be pretty cool.

So, the same poeple from MR are going to be doing the same old thing? I hope not. All those high end collectibles for the high dollar market are fine, but I hope they try and address a wider market. I understand it was probably a last second money grab from MR before they lost the license, but it seemd like they finally started to produce collectibles for the "common man". Between the FX sabers and the items exclusive to Radio Shack, it seemed like they might've been on the right track.

I'd be ever so happy if they introduced a budget line of full size saber replicas (not that .45 scale or overpriced "CE"crap!). The worst part is now I have to wait until July before I find out what I probably won't be able to afford!

I may be totally confused, but if you read into the prop forums on Rebelscum, it sounds like the guys over there putting 2 +2 together that the company is actually owned by Lucasfilm? There's a lot of speculation about everything with it over there.

The company already looks cool to me cause of there website, just love the picture they have up, there site dosent even have any content yet.

efx_teaser2a.jpg

I may be totally confused, but if you read into the prop forums on Rebelscum, it sounds like the guys over there putting 2 +2 together that the company is actually owned by Lucasfilm? There's a lot of speculation about everything with it over there.

I'm not fussed who owns the company. As long as they put out some nice looking/affordable replicas.

To be really cost-effective they got to change the politics drastically.

First of all they should re-invent the CE line.
Make the most iconic sabers and blaster non-limited and always available. I always thought it is nonsense to make only 2500 of a saber that everbody wants to have earlier or later.
Maybe they could combine the FX Series (which was always the biggest seller of MR) and the CE line. Talking about detachable blades on accurate hilts.

Second make the cases available seperatly. So everybody can decide to save some money or not. Of course these should be open-ended too and there should be one for every product (Falcon too).

The studio scale models were the biggest loss of money for MR i guess. Very very complex and expensive in the making and so few customers only that could afford them.
I personally loved the line and got every item, but most people simply could not afford it and so many items were'nt sold old or even fully produced (Y-Wing). When i see for what the Falcons go this time and they still have them in stock....
Ok, here is my solution: Make not only the built up models but kits of them too for sale. Less investment more customers (with the smaller wallet).

You see all my suggestions are make more, make it at a lower price and make it not limited.
Companies like Sideshow can take the liberty to make limited products (like 300 pcs Bossk busts) because they have so many "all-time" sellers like their 1:6 lines and a really big license-range.
But with only Star Wars or Star Wars as the locomotive i doubt that they can produce cost-effective.

I'm excited by the news. I'm sure they will make some adjustments to the way MR did things. Personally I hope they don't go over old ground and just start remaking all the lightsabers, etc. that MR has already done. If they do that I sure won't be buying. I also think they need both limited, higher end stuff and more affordable items too. I nice mix would be good. And start making some things we never got from MR (Chewie Bowcaster - hint, hint)

Good luck to them.

I'm glad to hear that the mantle will be grabbed by someone who has prop making experience. Frankly, MR's Star Wars stuff was their best stuff. I never cared for the other things. I was not happy with their customer service or outlandish ship dates, but overall, they were a good Star Wars prop producer. The FX line of sabers is a big hit, but could be improved upon (detachable blades!). Overall, I would like to see the same stuff mentioned before; an appeal to broader ecenomic base. Most of us scrimped and saved to purchase just one or two things. Let's do higher volume with more popular pieces and not sell out so danged fast just to be resold years later on E-bay for more money. Star Wars is for everyone, so everyone shoudl be able to enjoy it.

That is all.

Movado:angry

To be really cost-effective they got to change the politics drastically.

First of all they should re-invent the CE line.
Make the most iconic sabers and blaster non-limited and always available. I always thought it is nonsense to make only 2500 of a saber that everbody wants to have earlier or later.
Maybe they could combine the FX Series (which was always the biggest seller of MR) and the CE line. Talking about detachable blades on accurate hilts.

Second make the cases available seperatly. So everybody can decide to save some money or not. Of course these should be open-ended too and there should be one for every product (Falcon too).

The studio scale models were the biggest loss of money for MR i guess. Very very complex and expensive in the making and so few customers only that could afford them.
I personally loved the line and got every item, but most people simply could not afford it and so many items were'nt sold old or even fully produced (Y-Wing). When i see for what the Falcons go this time and they still have them in stock....
Ok, here is my solution: Make not only the built up models but kits of them too for sale. Less investment more customers (with the smaller wallet).

You see all my suggestions are make more, make it at a lower price and make it not limited.
Companies like Sideshow can take the liberty to make limited products (like 300 pcs Bossk busts) because they have so many "all-time" sellers like their 1:6 lines and a really big license-range.
But with only Star Wars or Star Wars as the locomotive i doubt that they can produce cost-effective.

Well said and agree on all points. I stopped buying MR as I was sick that I couldn't get pieces due to sellouts or outrageous costs. Even now I'd love a set of LE Maul, Qui, and OWK...but good luck on the OWK. Or even ANH Luke, Vader, and OWK, same thing no change on the OWK. Limited editions benefit only resellers and scalpers, not the company and not the fans.

I guess I was the target audiene for MR. I liked the LE and the EE. I didn't like that MR kept remaking the same prop though.

As for the new maker I can only hope for high quality, accuracy and that they don't remake the stuff MR did.

Cool news! Let's hope they can learn from the mistakes and shortcomings of MR, and do it better. I think overall, MR did a really fantastic job at something that had NEVER been done successfully before. As far as I can tell, MR turned a profit on the SW stuff, so much so that they made the company look so attractive that they were able to sell it. That's where the real money is for the officers, and I applaud their business acumen. They went in, built a brand, and then got out while the gettin' was good. If I had the chance, that's what I would have done.

At the end of the day, they did some darn fine work, and proved that there was a market out there for high end collectibles of high quality. Personal opinions aside about quality, that's how they positioned the line in the market, and it was based on those apparent strengths that they succeeded.

So now it's time for someone else to carry the mantle, and take it even farther. I believe that there is still a market out there for the stuff. With the new weekly show(s) airing eventually, interest may be rekindled, and they may see sales flourish. This will of course depend heavily on the new shows not sucking, as did the prequels. What history has shown is that when GL is NOT involved in his universe, things go pretty well. So as long as he can keep his stinkies off the tv shows, I think they'll be pretty good. the outside talent that they'll bring in for those shows will have the passion and love for the material that GL seems to have lost.

now I'm ranting.

munson out!

I'm excited by the news. I'm sure they will make some adjustments to the way MR did things. Personally I hope they don't go over old ground and just start remaking all the lightsabers, etc. that MR has already done. If they do that I sure won't be buying. I also think they need both limited, higher end stuff and more affordable items too. I nice mix would be good. And start making some things we never got from MR (Chewie Bowcaster - hint, hint)

Good luck to them.

not sure how i feel yet.

we wont see what they have in store until 7-08 (comic con preview night).

we FOR SURE are gonna be getting newer versions of the same things most of us already have (vader helmets/luke sabers)

id imagine quality will be roughly the same, only determinant to me will be what price point they will be shooting for, and what new stuff would be coming(again, i dont envision all that many previously unproduced items that are must buys).

more curious what effect this may have on the value of current MR stuff
(ie:MR helmets avg $400 , are they going to go up or down in price/demand)
(ie:a possible efx anh vader vs an MR vader)

Do we really need another version of lukes anh saber(which they would pretty much have to make wouldnt they)? Ya know, if you run a certain type of store , there are some items you just have to make?

Well said and agree on all points. I stopped buying MR as I was sick that I couldn't get pieces due to sellouts or outrageous costs. Even now I'd love a set of LE Maul, Qui, and OWK...but good luck on the OWK. Or even ANH Luke, Vader, and OWK, same thing no change on the OWK. Limited editions benefit only resellers and scalpers, not the company and not the fans.

My biggest MR problem was -are they selling highly limited numbered plaques or props. They kinda werent sure themselves really.

The plaque makes it look nicer but all i ever wanted was the prop itself.
Id figure most are that way, and also , most would rather not drop $350+ per item on these things.

I wonder how LE or EE owners may react if say new offerings are virtually identical to what they have but unlimited and at 1/4 of the price...i know id be a little pissed(lucky for me almost all i got was for well below msrp but im still concerned).

The CE idea was great but they made it too close in quality to the LE and pretty cheap, and they picked a weaker selling saber to boot.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back