Unproduced sword replicas-What would you collect?

Jumpin Jax

Sr Member
This is something of a pre-interest thread, not quite ready to offer a thing at this point. But I understand if it need be moved to the Yard.

I've been discussing prop swords that have gone unmade(or made BADLY) with my teacher, and his interest is peaked. Mainly I mentioned Westley's sword from Princess Bride.
"Yeah I can make that."
Music to my ears. I went on about retail prices for stainless steel bastardizations of excellent movie blades, and he asked me to acertain what people were after. Here's the idea:
Swords with excellent fittings and proper 70/30 aluminum blades EXACTLY as used in the applicable films. Now I have a list to start off of a few that got dissed by the replicas industry:
Kill Bill sword-NO stainless and the proper fittings
Sword of the Man in Black
Musketeer sword/Disney
Lancelot sword-First Knight
Note: As I have mentioned, my teacher is the man responsible for the POTC swords, Last Samurai swords, Secondhand Lions weapons, Blade spikes(B1), some blades in Hidalgo, and various crafts thoughout 20 years. An excellent sword maker that can create more accurate replica swords than a retailer even attempts. You'll not see better or lighter pieces.
Now it's up to you: what blades in exact detail from films would you collect?
JJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard choice... I really don't know!
Especially because I'm trying to find a way to mass-produce my own line of swords (well, I mean: designed by me. NOT mass-produced by me! That would be hard... LOL:p)

Back on topic: Probably I would LOVE to collect every sword from every movie (there are ugly swords out there, I just don't remember them ATM...:wacko)
Damn, I would love to collect swords from every source (comics, videogames, cartoons, etc...)!!!

The swords I want are not fancy. I would love to have accurate version of Buffy's and Angel's swords from Becoming part 1 and 2. I know that a "replica" was made of Buffy's but it was horrible. They made it a fancy wall hanger. I know that Buffy's was a Del Cid. I can find those on the web cheap but none that match. Angel's is harder. It is like a gauche dagger handle with a thin blade. I know that the quillons are forward curved. Like I said not fancy just want accurate.

Thanks!

Greg

The Green Destiny... the licensed version is just total crap and the knock offs are junk. I am sure it would be very expensive to make, but it's the one movie sword that I would pay good money to get a good replica of.

The Ultraviolet sword. I have 3 and none are accurate. Once the holidays calm down I am going to modify. I know the inscriptions on the blade would probably be more of a pain than it is worth.

Thanks!

Greg

Alittle off the beaten path, The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda series).

It's such a cool design, a few people have made nice versions but never has a quality 'run' been made. There's quite a few different styles though, so there is alot of liberty to be taken :)

ALSO, Along the lines of The Princess Bride, the movie Stardust has some excellent costumes, weapons, and props. I'd like to see many of the primary characters swords remade, in particular Tristan, Captain Shakespear, and Septimus.
If you haven't seen Stardust yet, (but enjoyed The Princess Bride)... you MUST see it.

Jax,
You work with Tony Swatton?

Just a quick sidetrack. Tony's design for MIB2 knife didn't make it into the film but the design was used for Buffy season 7. Faith used a pair of the knives. I love his stuff.

Thanks!

Greg

Last edited:
On the subject of Princess Bride, I'd cast a vote for Buttercup's dagger:

bcupdagger.jpg

bcupdagger2.jpg

(Thanks for hosting, Wackychimp.)

LOL, when I saw the thread title, I immedeatly thought "Princess Bride!!!!!"
No one has mention Ingino's sword... (though I admit its a bit too flashy for my tastes)

Besides that though, hmmm...
Norrington's small-sword from POTC
Operative sword from Serenity (the replica out there is innaccurate)

I'd go for the Bride's sword, and the Green Destiny. I agree that the replica Green destiny is crap, and I own a good replica of the Bride's sword from Kill Bill, and it's way off too.

Aluminum blades? So these are stunts?

Green Destiny would be cool. Super-cool would be the Hrisoulas blade from Wind and the Lion. But not in aluminum.

Aluminum blades? So these are stunts?
Actually no. While the aluminum used is more expensive than spring steel, it is MUCH faster to grind and shape. For the purpose of time-saving, it's what is used even for most if not all hero swords now. It can take a fantastic polish and is unrecognizable as aluminum on-screen. All of the swords in POTC, Last Samurai, and Hidalgo were aluminum, save for the hero of Tom Cruise's sword near the end of LS, which was a true masterwork of the forge.

I was asked earlier about Tony Swatton. While I don't work for him, I am appenticed to his leg man. Tony is a talented designer and stone artist, but when it comes to most special sword and armor projects he calls in a few specific men. I work with one and know another of them :thumbsup

Yeah, I don't think I could commission a custom piece and then have the blade made from aluminum, that would kinda ruin it for me. I actually liked the highlander sword far better until I found out how it was made.:lol I guess having worked on nice custom blades every day for so long just makes that sort of thing not appealing to me. I know it would be easier than making a steel blade and therefore cheaper, so it might be of interest to those who would want a sword only from a prop perspective with no interest in function. That said, with sword enthusiasts, a great deal of a swords beauty is usually found in it's functionality.

Man, after reading my post I realized I kinda sounded like a @ss.:lol Didn't mean to come off that way, guess I'm feeling a bit whiny tonight.

Not a problem:lol The key is to always make the customer happy, and using a steel blade instead isn't impossible. But 70/30 truly does take on a shine that would make the average Joe wonder if it WAS steel.
Just remember, you don't have to watch an aluminum blade for rust:love

Sword of Grayskull from Masters of the Universe The Movie
Madmartigan's sword from the end of Willow
Sword of Omens (full length) from Thundercats

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back