Building X-Wing 1/24 : Help!!

Began building the fuselage rear on Sunday.

47b3da09b3127cce9742f7a0b3f50000001610

(shutterfly really compresses the web-viewable versions of the pics, unfortunately.)

As you can see, I'm nuts enough not to bother casting many of the parts first and am just puttin' 'em on there. I will make an exception, though, with the Hummel parts.
icon_smile.gif

The two, ridged, half-cylindrical parts that get attached to the Sherman along the upper edge were, I thought, reported to be Saturn V parts but I can't find a match in my Airfix--something close, but it doesn't taper like the real part. I've been meaning to pick up the MPC version anyhow, so maybe that'll have the right part. Or I'll just modify the Airfix one.

I don't think this thread ever definitively nailed the two pairs of parts on either side of the Hummel parts (that bookend the 8rad part) on the bottom.

MPC?

I thought that MPC and Airfix were the same as far as molds go, but I've never even heard of an MPC Saturn V. Is it the REVELL Saturn you may be thinking of?
Damn, if thats the case, then thats one more sat V to add to my realspace collection.

Ryan

"This is MY force power, its called a BLASTER!"

Whoops, you're right, I had it mixed up. According to the thread it's the MONOGRAM version that has different tooling. (Go back a page or three to see a discussion about it.)

However, don't rush out to get the Monogram just for those two parts! Thanks to Miniaturizer Ray, I've realized it is the Saturn part, arranged slightly differently than what I thought I was seeing.

I added those Airfix SatV parts to the Sherman and started the molding master for the Elephant track link assembly (NOT gonna buy eight Elephants!). They're in the top of the pic below. Still need to ID the tiny greeblies added to the track link. I'd always thought they were intregal to the part...until this past weekend! Wouldn't be hard to scratch them if necessary.

Thanks to the scans of the old junky pyro casting Frank posted eons ago, I was able to start on the wings. Photoshop is quite handy! Using the elephant part's length as a guide, I increased the size of the pics by a mere 3.4% or so (I forget the exact figure) to get them back up to "hero" dimentions. I was surprised there wasn't more shrinkage than that, given the multiple generations that thing had obviously been through...perhaps Frank had already enlarged the scans?

Two printouts later I had a template for cutting the wings out of acrylic, keeping in mind the plating overhangs the trailing edges of the wing core by about 3/4 of the thickness of the Hanomag parts that go in the recesses on Red 2. Here are two in the works:

47b3db26b3127cce97eee78521220000002610

I've left a lot of slop on the ends that go into the fuselage; determining where to trim them will come much later during assembly. Originally I'd planned to cut two pairs of wings in two, long, continuous pieces that would pivot around each other at the middle, like the Fine Molds model, but the rear view pic printed in both AOSW and Chronicles show that they are not on the same plane--that is, if you draw a straight line from the tip of the upper right wing, that line will be parallel, but not coincide, with the lower left wing.

Were the pyros like that? I always thought those wings were spread too far apart anyhow, and assembling the wings so that they are on the same plane could account for that. So I will have four individual wings, although their mates may still be attached to each other via another piece that will be hidden inside the fuselage, serving as a stepped-down bracket that will secure them but keep them on their own parallel planes.

Yes, I hope to be able to move my S-Foils in and out of attack position. We'll see how it goes!

The REAL tricky part will be adding the thickness taper.

Treadwell! You go boy! I'm not working on one of these, due to having a CC X-wing and the initial slow progress on my Y which is my number one deal now, however you sure do inspire me and I'm sure others in a very POSITIVE way!

That baby is going to really start coming together quick for you now I think!

Keep it up.

Hi everyone,

I'm a relative newbie to this forum, and a dreaded lurker to boot! But frankly I've had to do a lot of catching up with this thread to reach a point where I felt I could make a contribution.

Well I've purchased all the kits I could locate, identified their usage, and started defining the model fuselage on a computer modeling system. I'll post more of my progress and plans as I get more into it.

But what I'm most excited about is that I think I've found something that has not been identified yet. Perhaps the old-timers who've left this forum know this already, but I'm certain the two parts on either side of the 8Rad part in back are from the Bandai 1/24 scale Shiden Interceptor kit. I've found another part in this kit that I'm sure belongs on the Y-wing as well. I'd post a pic to prove my point, but I can't figure out how this BBcode posting an image yadda, yadda, yadda technique is suppossed to work. Perhaps someone can hand hold me though this procedure...

Cool, I'd love to see a pic. To post one all you have to do is type [image][/image] with the url of your picture between the two commands. (The picture has to be on the web somewhere, not just on your computer.) Be sure "Disable BBcode on this Post" is unchecked.

My progress this weekend was simply cutting out the remaining pair of acrylic wings and picking up the U-channel Plastruct strips that go in the cutout areas.

Sorry, but due to DSL modem glitches, and the fact I'm away on business for the rest of the week, I'm unable to post the pic from the Shiden kit. I did however send photos of all the kit's parts to the following site:

http://www.studioscale.com/

Hopefully they will post the pics sometime this week.

Enjoy!

Hey, hey, hey, here's a bit more speculation for the hobbyists...

I was looking over the ol' StuG because Treadwell had asked me if it had any parts which were similar to a Hummel part that's been put forward as a candidate for the Y-Wing.

Well, I didn't find the Y-Wing part, but I noticed something interesting lurking behind the back wheels. It was a little tiny label, like the ones that Alice found, but it didn't say "Eat me", or "Drink me", it said "Insert Sherman bogey here".

So I did.

morestug.jpg

Now I'm not saying this is the right part. I have a couple of kits on my want list that I thought might have this part. You need to do a lot of trimming to make this part look right. On the other hand, it has some points in its favour: The X-Wing parts do look as though they were trimmed all around. The Sherman part fits exactly: if you look closely at the X-Wing part, you can see that they had to cut a couple of little notches into the Sherman part to get it to fit around the two middle struts, which is what you'd need to do to make the Sherman part fit this part.

<decloak>

Ray,

That is, without question, the correct part. Looking at my castings for this greeblie, not only are all of the dimensions and angles correct, but more importantly there is the telltale ejector pin marking in exactly the right spot. Ejector pin markings...do...not...lie.

I've bought a half dozen or so artillery models looking for the correct "spade," but this StuG part is the real deal. Finally. And to think I've had a StuG on the rack for more than a year and never even noticed this part.

Excellent find!

</decloak>

Nice find Ray! It truly looks like the correct part. However, I thought I read somewhere that there were two vesions of this kit, one with and one without the motor. The non-motorized version a later, limited re-issue. I have the kit with the motor, and found a similar part, but not exactly the same. It's die-cast and the ribs the Sherman piece is meant to fit into are different from yours.

Can someone confirm that both kits were available during the ANH period?

Dean

All I have the Sealab parts in question.. the Cylinder and piping. I will offer them up for molding and promised a safe return with a few examples... any takers? I thought the Stug part was known. a few months back...

Steve

Dean,

The re-issue has die-cast suspension parts. On my StuG, all of those parts are plastic. I seem to recall reading that the kit was re-tooled during its original production lifespan, though; perhaps that explains why you have the die-cast parts and the motors.

The reason those parts were made Die-cast is because the release of the kit was made into a RC. Im not sure the first release was RC or not.

Steve

I sanded/filed the wings until they were more or less uniform on Monday. I'm not worried overmuch about 100% uniformity along the trailing edges, because the plating overhang is where it will count. This was taken only partway through the process.

47b3db09b3127cce88e0d6ce4e380000001610

On Saturday I finally found the Holgate & Reynolds HO scale brick sheeting at a model train shop. Walthers doesn't have it in their catalog anymore and they informed me that a resupply from the manufacturer is not scheduled. I would guess it isn't currently in production, so ya better start lookin' if you still need it.

I will have extra available for trade.

Hey guys,

workingon a future release here and am trying to track down these 2 parts from the Arfix 1/600 Scharnhorst. I am willing to pay for the entie kit or if someone wants to donate the two parts from thier spares Box! I will remember those who help greatly when I release this "secret" project!

26729233.jpg

Steve

sneisen641@attbi.com

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back