Browncoats.

101radioman

OK this may open a whole weird can of worms.

Who out of abbyshot, museum replica, space city, etc. but NOT including JLOGAN makes the best reproduction "browncoat".

Based solely on the photos, I'd have to say Abbyshot. Museum Replicas is just so very wrong, in so very many ways - first and foremost being the cuffs aren't folded up, they're attached at both ends.

Space City's is okay, but the collar is all wrong, and the cuffs look wonky as well...plus, it's not real leather.

Abbyshot's has the design pretty much down pat, and really the only thing I've ever noticed, is the colour is a bit lighter.

Agreed, I own the Museum replicas version and was able to compare it to the Abbeyshot piece in person at DragonCon.
Although I made some major mods to mine (redyed to the correct color, had it fitted and changed the cuffs) to get it as close as I could, the Abbeyshot is the closest out there for the money.
As Zeppo stated the cuffs are all wrong; too short and attached at the top and under the inside sleeve, the color of both pieces is too light (Abbeyshot's the darker of the two), the MR is too thick (if you want a real winter coat and not a costume it's great!), the MR piece is not tapered in any way and last but not least the buckles are incorrect on the MR as well, to include the placement of them.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Last edited:
Do you guys think the Abbyshot is too lightweight to be very functional? If I ever did splurge and get a browncoat, I'd want it to be something I could use as a coat, at least in fall/spring if not winter.

For an actual functional coat I would say Abbyshot's would work for spring/fall weather. The MR for winter, definitely. I'm considering selling my MR and trading up for an Abbyshot for this reason (and the others), southern NM just doesn't get that chilly.

Jason

Thing is, if I remember correctly, the Abbyshot was lined. Which isn't bad if, like me, you're not concerned about screen accuracy but want it to look good. But as some of you guys are into the screen authenticity aspect of it, it's something to take into consideration. Trpcik said in the Visual Companion that it was specifically meant to the a poor man's coat, hence the lack of a lining.

Hope my first post provides some good info. :)

Edit for "what the heck was that typo from" mistake.

For an actual functional coat I would say Abbyshot's would work for spring/fall weather. The MR for winter, definitely. I'm considering selling my MR and trading up for an Abbyshot for this reason (and the others), southern NM just doesn't get that chilly.

Jason

Last edited:
I have the Abbyshot browncoat. It's not lined and not thick at all. It's a good lightweight coat, but nowhere near what it seems you are looking for. You can always go with something under the shirt, like the Under Armmor cold weather gear or maybe even a flannel shirt.

Wes

Personally I am not looking for something to wear in the winter here. hehe.

Got the Parkas for that, I am just wondering about the "look", don't want cheesy hehe.

Sounds like the abbyshot is leading in good opinions. Anyone know how it looks next to Tristans?

thanks

I've got an Abbeyshot Browncoat that I got for Dragon Con '06. I STILL wear it as a winter coat, even though the clasps for it pretty much suck and are as useless as possible.

It's not lined and neither are their new ones.

BUT...Their new clasps are screen accurate and are fully functional now.

Get the Abbeyshot coat. You won't regret it! :thumbsup

Personally I am not looking for something to wear in the winter here. hehe.

Got the Parkas for that, I am just wondering about the "look", don't want cheesy hehe.

Sounds like the abbyshot is leading in good opinions. Anyone know how it looks next to Tristans?

thanks

Tristan's actually looks nicer than the abbyshot up close. I've tried both on (Tristan is a buddy of mine), and comparitively Tristan's feels like something you could wear around and get dirty in, the abbyshot feels like something you need to take extra care not to rip.

Neither version are lined, but the production one wasn't either.

Tristan's actually looks nicer than the abbyshot up close. I've tried both on (Tristan is a buddy of mine), and comparitively Tristan's feels like something you could wear around and get dirty in, the abbyshot feels like something you need to take extra care not to rip.

Neither version are lined, but the production one wasn't either.

Durability is a good thing, but how about accuracy? I know his buckles aren't quite as close as Abbyshot's, but how's the rest of the coat?

Actually, I was going to get Tristan's browncoat, but I was lucky enough to win the Abbyshot one on ebay for half what it would cost from the website and about half of what Tristan's would cost. Personally, I might still go with Tristan's and sell the Abbyshot. The price was too good to pass up, which was the deciding factor in the Abbyshot.

Wes

Actually, I was going to get Tristan's browncoat, but I was lucky enough to win the Abbyshot one on ebay for half what it would cost from the website and about half of what Tristan's would cost. Personally, I might still go with Tristan's and sell the Abbyshot. The price was too good to pass up, which was the deciding factor in the Abbyshot.

Wes

If that's the case, I'd be tempted to put Abby's buckles on Tristan's coat and get the best of both worlds. :love But then who knows how in-demand the combined leftovers would be.

Durability is a good thing, but how about accuracy? I know his buckles aren't quite as close as Abbyshot's, but how's the rest of the coat?

It looks fairly accurate. Not that I've really compared it through a magnifying glass or anything. Tristan says that it's his take on the coat, so he doesn't boast accuracy either. I'll say this. It captures the spirit of the show better than the others I've seen.

I'd like to keep this discussion going, since I've long wanted a Browncoat and I'm seriously considering forking over for one.

In all the pictures I've seen, Tristan's looks like a good cut, but doesn't seem quite the right color...not reddish enough, or too light, or something. Does anyone have hands-on opinions? Would it be easy/difficult to dye?

Hey I know of another as well, and theirs is made of pure leather, too. Try
http://browncoatfashions.com, they do a great job and offer other 'Shiny' apparel too.

I'd like to keep this discussion going, since I've long wanted a Browncoat and I'm seriously considering forking over for one.

In all the pictures I've seen, Tristan's looks like a good cut, but doesn't seem quite the right color...not reddish enough, or too light, or something. Does anyone have hands-on opinions? Would it be easy/difficult to dye?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back