ALIEN (1979) motion tracker questions

Wasn't me - I was using the key words "vernier dial" and was getting everything BUT the correct model. :p

Has anyone asked the seller what diameter the dials are? They should be about 1.75" based on scaling I did from the screen-used pics.

And thread lurkers: PLEASE don't be stupid and set off the Seller Greed alarms. :angry

On a different note, I've been Googling vintage oscilloscope CRTs and our tin shield seems to match the profile of the one in the comparison below:

crt_compare.JPG

The site labels it as an RCA Type 906 3-Inch CRT, which was first introduced in the early 30s. Now keep in mind that for us, "vintage" can be 50s, 60s, or 70s, but if the prop makers were using *THIER* era's "vintage" junk for greeblies, then for them "vintage" would have meant 20s, 30s, and 40s, just as Star Wars used many weapons and photo equipment that was 30-40 years old or older. And the screen-used shield's circular cross section leads me to believe we should be looking at oscilloscopes from the 30s or 40s, before square and rectangular CRTs became more common.

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Feb 26 2006, 10:04 PM
Has anyone asked the seller what diameter the dials are?  They should be about 1.75" based on scaling I did from the screen-used pics.
I didn't ask for the measurement of the diameter. It was posted in the previous auction listing as, "approximately 2.75 inches in diameter".

Originally posted by Flix4Me+Feb 26 2006, 02:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flix4Me @ Feb 26 2006, 02:54 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Prop Runner
@Feb 26 2006, 10:04 PM
Has anyone asked the seller what diameter the dials are?  They should be about 1.75" based on scaling I did from the screen-used pics.
I didn't ask for the measurement of the diameter. It was posted in the previous auction listing as, "approximately 2.75 inches in diameter".
[snapback]1194238[/snapback]​
[/b]
Either the seller made a mistake, or these dials exist in two sizes. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Osmotic: I think I can say with confidence that you've officially joined the Discoverer's Club. :D :thumbsup

Perhaps my day will come too... I just keep riding others' coat tails. :cry

RS_dial.JPG

That's a pretty darned expensive dial, even if it is currently produced. What are the odds something over 30 years old is still manufactured exaclty the same way? Gotta love the British. :lol

- Gabe

Originally posted by Flix4Me@Feb 25 2006, 03:26 AM
Here's a pic I found to give you an idea of what is possible with a search for Venier dials.  Ignore the potentiometer the dials are sitting on.  If you don't want to buy the whole part and remove the dials, the dials can be found separately.  Like any of these goose chases, it just takes time and patience to turn up the right part.   

5808346_o.jpg

edit:  BTW - I've always thought the cylindrical shaped guage thing on the top of the unit was an instrument can.  The trouble is, unless you've seen this particular type before, it could be out of just about any vehicle.  And depending on the size of the vehicle, it could be for just about any type of guage.  A motor vehicle?  Perhaps a motorcycle.  Or as has been written already, it could be an airplane part.  A likely possibility since they were raiding aircraft surplus sites to outfit the Nostromo sets.

Where's Brundlefly?  Maybe he knows more about the details of the parts and construction.  He's hung with Bob Burns and has probably seen the one in his possesion.
[snapback]1192936[/snapback]​

I picked this up at the local surplus electronics store for $10:

[attachmentid=6864]

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Feb 26 2006, 11:00 PM
Either the seller made a mistake, or these dials exist in two sizes.  Thanks for clarifying. :)
It's not uncommon for a style to be made in more than one size.
That's a pretty darned expensive dial, even if it is currently produced.
So, who's gonna coordinate the group buy for these? :love Also, I'm sure they are available in the States too.

ItÂ’s a pretty standard part, no need for people to panic buy off Ebay. IÂ’m sure there are plenty of suppliers out there. :)

Osmotic: I think I can say with confidence that you've officially joined the Discoverer's Club.

:lol

Gabe, do I get a badge ?

Beautiful find, guys :thumbsup .

I think we should use a single point of purchase for 2 reasons; 1) bulk purchase discount and 2) wont set off any oddball alarms causing another price hike

I too, hope to one day make a parts discovery, especially in a thread I started :lol

-Fred

Okay, I have these pegged on Ebay at '1/4 inch diameter shaft'

I don't know how you measure these things. Is this another innacurate size, or are they measureing from different points (the diameter of the dial rather than the base?)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Birdie@Feb 26 2006, 11:17 PM

I don't know how you measure these things. Is this another innacurate size, or are they measureing from different points (the diameter of the dial rather than the base?)
[snapback]1194263[/snapback]​

the 1/4" shaft is the referring to the shaft that the dial sits on. It has no bearing on the the diameter of the dial. The dial could be 1" across or 8" across and still sit on a 1/4" shaft.

Check with the ebay seller for the dial diameter.

-Fred

Is the top of the MT dial indented a bit? Looking at the edges, I think I see something that makes it look like it's set just below the surface...

-Mike

Originally posted by Gigatron+Feb 26 2006, 11:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ Feb 26 2006, 11:34 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Birdie
@Feb 26 2006, 11:17 PM

[snapback]1194263[/snapback]​

the 1/4" shaft is the referring to the shaft that the dial sits on. It has no bearing on the the diameter of the dial. The dial could be 1" across or 8" across and still sit on a 1/4" shaft.

Check with the ebay seller for the dial diameter.

-Fred
[snapback]1194278[/snapback]​
[/b]

I guess I'd better pullmy bid on thatone, then :lol

Originally posted by Sith Sheriff Brody@Feb 26 2006, 11:39 PM
Is the top of the MT dial indented a bit? Looking at the edges, I think I see something that makes it look like it's set just below the surface...

-Mike
[snapback]1194283[/snapback]​

I've been thinking the same thing myself since we started looking at the dial. It looks like the original is "dished", but it could be an illusion.

Any experts have an opinion?

-Fred

Simon: I think you're fine on that bid - the shaft diameter has no bearing on the dial diameter, as Fred said. :)

Mike: I think the recess is an illusion created by the decal edge.

KC: regarding the dial diameter, I'm pretty sure the seller had a typo in his description. Judging from the knob diameter, the overall diameter could not be greater than 1 3/4". They'd have to double the diameter of the knob to keep the same proportions, and that makes zero sense to me. :confused He might have also gotten confused and posted the length incorrectly as the diameter.

mgoob: looks dead-on. Congrats on your score - were there more dials in stock at the surplus store? :love

Did I respond to everybody? :p

- Gabe

Originally posted by Birdie@Feb 26 2006, 04:21 PM
Also picked this up yesterday:

[attachmentid=6867]

[attachmentid=6868]
[snapback]1194266[/snapback]​

Birdie... did this come with the rf shield? I doubt very seriously that they would have included such a fragile glass part into the prop.

As an Airman in the '80s I used to work on vintage 'o'scopes and remember several that had this very same setup.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back