ALIEN (1979) motion tracker questions

Originally posted by Birdie@Feb 24 2006, 05:07 PM
Oh, and the big dial top right looks like a combination lock from a safe. Or another aircraft control :lol
[snapback]1192821[/snapback]​
I was also thinking safe dial or perhaps a Master combination lock. :p For a while I even considered stove knob, but there would be a pointer or line somewhere along the edge. Let's look at combination locks. :)

And how about the flanged bosses behind the drain gully? They look EXTREMELY familiar, and are probably some kind of electrical connector. They remind me of fiber-optic connectors I used in a medical application once...

Regarding the blocks, remember that fuse mountings would also be deeper, unless these were plastic covers or something. Let's keep brainstorming and looking at vintage electronics and sound mixers. I wouldn't be shocked at all if some of those mixers contained a few other components used as greeblies. From my eBay search, it looks like Tascam made several models, some of which contain at least 22 switches. Keeping fingers crossed.

I'm out for tonight, but I'll resume the search tomorrow. Would love to be surprised with a new discovery when I return. :D

- Gabe

Okay, I'm quite hopeful on this one, and am still researching, but I thought I'd put this up to show what I'm shooting at:

[attachmentid=6803]

[attachmentid=6804]

Very close, but not quite. The screen-used knobs has recessed grooves between the lands, and the example you posted has ribs and no grooves. I think you're DEFINITELY in the right direction, though. :)

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Feb 25 2006, 01:28 AM
Very close, but not quite.  The screen-used knobs has recessed grooves between the lands, and the example you posted has ribs and no grooves.  I think you're DEFINITELY in the right direction, though. :)
[snapback]1192844[/snapback]​

I know it's not right, duh :p

Just wanted to show the similarities. From a quickle google, closest I can find is this:

[attachmentid=6805]

And I know it's not right.

I'm doubtful about anything else coming from the mixers. I'been in the music industry since the eighties, and worked with that kit pretty extensively. I ID'ed the sliders from memory pages back, 'cos Iimmediately clicked that I'd seen 'em15 years ago :)

This part is most likely a Vernier dial. Used on radio equipment, etc., and made in various sizes and with all sorts of design differences through many decades. I would concentrate the search for this part on these.

Oh, yeah. About the Gully Grids...

INTERESTED.

Oh. Still not yet?...

Here's a pic I found to give you an idea of what is possible with a search for Venier dials. Ignore the potentiometer the dials are sitting on. If you don't want to buy the whole part and remove the dials, the dials can be found separately. Like any of these goose chases, it just takes time and patience to turn up the right part.

5808346_o.jpg

edit: BTW - I've always thought the cylindrical shaped guage thing on the top of the unit was an instrument can. The trouble is, unless you've seen this particular type before, it could be out of just about any vehicle. And depending on the size of the vehicle, it could be for just about any type of guage. A motor vehicle? Perhaps a motorcycle. Or as has been written already, it could be an airplane part. A likely possibility since they were raiding aircraft surplus sites to outfit the Nostromo sets.

Where's Brundlefly? Maybe he knows more about the details of the parts and construction. He's hung with Bob Burns and has probably seen the one in his possesion.

The venier dials certainly look correct. There's nothing quite like that on Ebay at the moment, I gues it's watch & wait.

Originally posted by Birdie@Feb 24 2006, 07:54 PM
The venier dials certainly look correct. There's nothing quite like that on Ebay at the moment, I gues it's watch & wait.
[snapback]1192953[/snapback]​
I didn't have to spend too much time confirming that this is the correct Vernier dial, regardless of the length of the cylinder beneath it:

Vernier_compare.JPG

:eek

I'm somewhat in a state of shock that this thread has yielded 3 major greeblie discoveries in less than 24 hours... :eek I AM SPEECHLESS.. I HAVE NO SPEECH. The depth of my respect and admiration for all the participants here knows no limit tonight..... :thumbsup

At this rate we should nail every component by the end of the weekend. :lol

SOMEBODY PINCH ME TO MAKE SURE I'M NOT DREAMING....

- Gabe

Can anyone identify the manufacturer or part number off the ID label?

As for that sound mixer, while the knobs look damn near dead on, there has to be a better model. The 244 wasn't introduced until 1984 (or so), so I'm going to keep looking for the correct one (until Gabe makes up some replica *hint hint*).

I'm also going to start looking for that CRT. What do we think the size is? 3"? Bigger, smaller?

Keep it up guys.

-Fred

Originally posted by Gigatron@Feb 25 2006, 01:02 PM

As for that sound mixer, while the knobs look damn near dead on, there has to be a better model.  The 244 wasn't introduced until 1984 (or so), so I'm going to keep looking for the correct one (until Gabe makes up some replica *hint hint*).

I'm also going to start looking for that CRT.  What do we think the size is? 3"? Bigger, smaller?

Keep it up guys.

-Fred
[snapback]1193155[/snapback]​

The Tascam 144 falls into the correct timescale, but the sliders don't look right to me.

Good work on the gully grille, venier dials & switches.

I would guess there's not much of a difference between 1984 model & 1978 model mixer, so if the switches may be the same.

I'll take 1 gully grille & switch castings from whomever does the buy (as I have a Ranger)

That second link doesn't work for me, but,

I think you are on to something :)

I wouldn't be surprised if our vernier dial may have come from the same piece of equipment.

Here's what led me to believe its from a 'scope:

[attachmentid=6820]

It's from a Tektronics 1750 waveform/ vectorscope we use at the station.

I had planned on making one out of rolled tin (since that's all the sheild is).
The CRT wouldn't be inside: look at how it's attached to cover up the hole where
the TV screen (CRT) was: just screws into tin covering.

Originally posted by dropshipbob@Feb 24 2006, 02:45 PM
The object I indicated has a stepped profile, not just an ordinary smooth cylinder.

Here's a spedometer...
speedo.jpg

It too has a similar profile and brackets on the sides, just like the one on the Alien tracker.
[snapback]1192266[/snapback]​

IMHO, it's just more graphics/ Letraset on a capped tin:

[attachmentid=6822]

Originally posted by mgoob+Feb 25 2006, 04:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mgoob @ Feb 25 2006, 04:59 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-dropshipbob
@Feb 24 2006, 02:45 PM
The object I indicated has a stepped profile, not just an ordinary smooth cylinder.

Here's a spedometer...
speedo.jpg

It too has a similar profile and brackets on the sides, just like the one on the Alien tracker.
[snapback]1192266[/snapback]​

IMHO, it's just more graphics/ Letraset on a capped tin:

[attachmentid=6822]
[snapback]1193271[/snapback]​
[/b]

Agreed. Any thoughts on the item? An air pressure guauge (say, from a bicycle/motorcycle footpump) has a similar profile.

Originally posted by Gigatron@Feb 25 2006, 01:02 PM
Don't bother. The label is for the part that the dial is used on or the entire assembly. The question is; can anyone identify the manufacturer of the dial and its part number?

BTW - The pic I linked to above is from a completed auction. I only "borrowed" it to illustrate that this is what we should be looking for. I'm guessing more than one person here has asked the seller if they are still available because the auction has been relisted, but for $15 higher than the earlier auction opening bid and a $50 BIN. Methinks the seller's greed radar has been activated by something, or some people.

Now before you go supporting this guy's effort to perpetuate one of America's stereotypical ideals, be aware that I think these dials are too big for this prop anyway. :p

Originally posted by Flix4Me@Feb 26 2006, 05:52 PM

BTW - The pic I linked to above is from a completed auction.  I only "borrowed" it to illustrate that this is what we should be looking for.  I'm guessing more than one person here has asked the seller if they are still available because the auction has  been relisted, but for $15 higher than the earlier auction opening bid and a $50 BIN.  Methinks the seller's greed radar has been activated by something, or some people. 

Now before you go supporting this guy's effort to perpetuate one of America's stereotypical ideals, be aware that I think these dials are too big for this prop anyway.  :p
[snapback]1194083[/snapback]​

Here we go again :angry . Are people really this stupid? I guess no one has learned anything from the graflex/eumig/.30 cal booster fiascos :unsure

-Fred

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back