ALIEN (1979) motion tracker questions

Originally posted by Gigatron@Feb 21 2006, 03:01 PM
Gabe, that's a hell of a collection (and I appreciate you letting me win this auction  :thumbsup ).  As a funny side note, I was keeping an eye on a particular piece on ebay and I saw you bid and decided to let off.  I hope you get the piece because I know it will benefit of all of us if you do  ;)
Anything for a brutha. :D Are you saying you DUCKED the auction or that you found it a little FISHY? Come on, COP to it. ;)

- Gabe

I'm really glad that people have picked up on this piece. It's such a tough conversion just by the sheer number or parts. I identified the Ranger the week that the Alien Quadrilogy DVD's came out. I happened to watch the Bob Burns documentary the day before I noticed the TV at the flea market and it caught my eye right away.

Someone sent me some really good ref pics after the ID was made. I'm trying to remember who it was. They had done some work for Fox and had some priveliged ref pics, but I can't remember if I was supposed to keep them for myself. Maybe they can send me a PM either way if they see this. Some of the pre-production pics show the piece painted white like the toolbox prop. It looks like they painted everything over after that to be closer to the original green color of the TV.

Adam

Originally posted by Prop Runner+Feb 21 2006, 11:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prop Runner @ Feb 21 2006, 11:12 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Gigatron
@Feb 21 2006, 03:01 PM
Gabe, that's a hell of a collection (and I appreciate you letting me win this auction  :thumbsup ).  As a funny side note, I was keeping an eye on a particular piece on ebay and I saw you bid and decided to let off.  I hope you get the piece because I know it will benefit of all of us if you do  ;)
Anything for a brutha. :D Are you saying you DUCKED the auction or that you found it a little FISHY? Come on, COP to it. ;)

- Gabe
[snapback]1189971[/snapback]​
[/b]

Gabe, to my eye, that entire auction looked fishy ;) :lol

Godzilla, if you get the permission, I'd love to see those pics.

AA, what's the Alien Legacy 5th disk? Is it part of that quadrology?

Thanks again,
Fred

Well, you guys have really come up with something (if I may quote another old film of some reknown :D) .... well all I have to contribute is my little cache of grabs ... but first, tell me what you think of this "discovery" :

ALIEN-track-screencommlock.jpg

It looks to me like the little screen on the tracker might be from the Commlock prop used on Space: 1999. :D

ALIEN-track-ashwithtracker.jpg

ALIEN-track-closeup1.jpg

ALIEN-track-closeup2.jpg

ALIEN-track-closeup3.jpg

ALIEN-track-dallaswithtrac.jpg

ALIEN-track-lambertwithtra2.jpg

ALIEN-track-lambertwithtrac.jpg

ALIEN-track-tabletrackerlg.jpg

ALIEN-track-tabletrackers.jpg

ALIEN-track-tabletrackers3.jpg

ALIEN-track-tabletrackers4.jpg

ALIEN-track-tabletrackers5.jpg

ALIEN-track-tabletrackers6.jpg

- k

Great pix, Alienscollection. B)

As for my pix, those were grabbed off of "Aliens Quadrilogy"... some from the film itself, others from the "continuity polaroids" and what not on the extras disc.

- k

Originally posted by phase pistol@Feb 22 2006, 03:31 AM
Aw man, that stuff was on the LEGACY disc? No fair. How come it isn't on the "Quadrilogy"?  :confused

- k
[snapback]1190197[/snapback]​

Believe it or not the only reason it wasn't on the disc was lack of space. Because of compression issues, they simply couldn't fit all the material they had gathered... Bummer too, there was some jaw-dropping material.

Is there a way to still get a copy of this legacy disk or is it far gone?

I can't believe how much junk they stuck on top of a TV. And all for a prop with a few minutes of screen time.

Though I am very glad to see that there are more than a few people interested in this prop.

Keep it comin' gang.

-Fred

there are at least two different MT`s in Alien, I guess one prop with light effects for the actors (stunt?) and a second with an working oscilloscope/TV as screen for close-ups (hero?).

One has the "loop/circle" on the "air vent cover" leading upwards, one downwards.

One "flashlight" has a hole at the tip, one not.

what is stunt and what is hero ?

Can anyone here extrapolate the dimensions of the ice cube tray? Being that there isn't much to them, a decent replacement can probably be easily found.

-Fred

I picked one of these up to convert it over and decided I liked it way too much as is to rip out the guts. It still works great, and I think it looks like a movie prop all on it's own. :D

Njc----------------------------

The tube sticking out the front is most probably the shiedling that goes around the CRT of an oscilloscope.

Showed the photo to an engineer at work, and that was his appriasal.

Be damn near impossible to find the correct oscilloscope, as photos of used oscilloscopes are usually in one piece.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back