Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Also here are a few stickers that were for the spacesuits:

spacesuitstickers.jpg

TFP. Nice reference shots. What are the sizes on these?

I was trying to find a more relevant thread (i.e., Prometheus costuming), but this one is far more active, and perhaps still interested. I just received these two patches from Prop Store of London today: They’re from the crew’s jumpsuits (probably only production used, not screen used, cause they look fairly clean). Thought they might be interesting to see.

There are a few of us in the UK talking about getting a Nostromo crew together, so this thread is invaluable and has been bookmarked in my browser for the last couple of years since I decided to do the jacket just for the hell of it.
So I have the Mk3 RAF cold weather jacket, dyed, patched, just waiting for the compression lacing, for which I have the parts, i just need to get around to assembling it.
Next stop, the trousers (or pants, if you prefer). I'm going down the Dickie's painters route. I have 2 pairs, one to serve as the base, the second to provide extra material for the modifications. I've already de-badged, de-belt looped and de-pocketed the first pair but there are a couple of details I'm still not sure about and would like some opinions, please.

1. What colour should the snaps on the belt loops be? On the white Ash pair that were actioned a few years back (photos somewhere on this thread) they are a brass colour, but in some of the screen pics from the film-used ones, they look silver or sometimes black (although I half assume the black is just a reflection of something else).
2. Someone told me today that the original trousers did not have side seams on the legs. I'd not heard/seen/noticed this before, but certainly one of the publicity shots of Ash shows that to be the case. Can anyone confirm this is correct? That's going to make an accurate reproduction a pain in the backside if that's the case.

In the meantime, it gives me a good excuse to watch Alien on blu-ray, like I needed one.

Both Ian's white and Lambert's have brass snaps and the pants DO have seams both inside and out, they are easily seen in the cast group shot by the ladder.

edit.
link to auctioned pants added.
link

Last edited:
This is the pic that I was shown showing lack of seam, and I can't see it at all, suggesting my friend is correct, in that the originals had no seam:

but looking at the auction pics, this seems to show a seam. I think I can see a seam on Ash's pair too, but it's not clear, it could just be folds/creases. these are Lambert's:

Then watching the blu-ray, I managed to find one shot, and one only, showing a seam - the rest were in the background and out of focus, or the character moved to fast to see, or there was something in the way etc. There are a few times when shadow gives the strong suggestion of a seam, but nothing clear. Frustrating. Even more so as, while I can get good screen grabs from a DVD on my PC, it won't read blu-rays, so the best I could do was a photo of the TV screen, but this one is very clear on the TV:

The seamline on the last pic exactly matches the seamline in Lambert's auction pair and the suggested seams in the less clear views on blu-ray,so I'm happy that that's what it is. Anyone got any better pics to prove this? I'm a stickler for accuracy and want to make sure we get it right (and I won't lie, I want to prove the trousers I was going to use are ok!).

Perfect. Thanks VilleLeskinen.
I've seen some other pics now now and it's been confirmed. Well that makes life so much easier, especially as the Dickie's trousers I'm using have a simple seam like on the screen costumes, rather than a felled seam as I'm told most Dickie's trousers seem to have (like the seam on a pair of jeans).
Right, now to get stuck in with the sewing! I'll post some pics when there's something to show.

Nice to see the actual jacket. Wonder why they remove the patches, is it some kind of "we can sell these and make money" kind of thing?

Anyway, speaking of Brett, I decided to do a mini (very mini) project seeing as how I've been slacking off on producing any actual crew jackets so I gathered the proper materials and had constructed for me an on-the-cheap Nostromo "Brett" cap that I can wear around without fear of sitting on it or otherwise mucking it...though that may add to its authenticity.

Here's the cap, sitting around, kind of boring:

29mu2ix.jpg

And here's it on an actual person, me. Still pretty boring (and yes, that is the "Peace Through Superior Firepower" t-shirt from Aliens though perhaps I should keep references to that movie to a minimum):

wk02vt.jpg

Sorry have not been on in a while but here are the shoes we did. I bought some replacement soles off of eBay, I got like a size 14 and trimmed and sanded them until they fit the way I wanted and then went to a shoe repair guy at the mall and had them glue it. I painted them white and they have held up rather well. With the paint starting to come off they look a little more like the movie ones, I might need to repaint them though

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/5178229565_3d980e90ae_z.jpg

Where did you get you white plastic d rings from. I have been finding it difficult to source these?

You're right about the hat, joberg. I've been beating it up now. Perhaps I need to run it over with a truck or something, like a baseball mitt.

I was wondering if anyone had information on Brett's jacket. I've been gobbling up stuff about Alien but I don't recall reading anything specific about it. Why is it so different from the other, much more military-inspired jackets? It even has a different wing patch on the breast.

I'm guessing it's about further separating Brett, the lowest ranked person on the ship, from the rest and better showcasing him as "working class bum" rather than "officer". I think someone mentioned earlier that it resembles a Japanese happi coat which makes sense given the Nostromo's provenance.

Was it a completely original garment or based on something else?

Last edited:
I think it was a mix of two things: a found item (jacket) and then some add-ons for the final transformation. More elaborate than the other jackets in the movie.

While I'm far from an expert, the biggest piece of advice I can give you, which I believe someone mentioned earlier, is to find scrambled eggs (the gold leaf appliques on the visor) made with actual gold thread NOT yellow. That will make it be just that little bit more screen accurate. Of course, that means you actually have to either apply them yourself or have someone else do it and that could get difficult. I myself managed to apply mine slightly crooked so I'll either have to redo or just live with it. Maybe in my version Brett had one too many cans of Aspen before he made his hat.

Other than that, it's super easy and fun to see if anyone gets the reference.

Last edited:

my brain hurts....what the?... :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

Not my jacket... thank god....

I'm all about interpretation and custom styling but....daaaammmnnnn.... Got shoelace?

Last edited:
I can sort of understand that. Outside of actually procuring a RAF MKIII Cold Weather Jacket, especially of the right size and color, the lace panels are the most difficult aspect of the Dallas and Kane jackets, at least if you're not looking to spend a large (relatively speaking) amount of money. Though I personally wouldn't go around poking holes in the actual jacket.

I would, if I was to lend advice to this maker, go with a different patch. As discussed here (http://www.therpf.com/f24/nostromo-patch-thread-comparison-122512/) that's one of the worst commercial patches available. That big purple line arcing on top and the equally fat yellow line at the bottom are the most obvious mistakes but also, if you are to look closer, you can see things like the rings hugging the planet rather than encircling it, the clouds being a blob rather than having curvy definition, and the S's being too clearly defined rather than the squiggles as on the screen used ones.

But hey, you got to do what you got to do I guess.

Now, onto my real point, I have two things to ask.

I'm working on a Parker jacket and I've picked up a copy of an A-2 bomber jacket, the question is: what is the best method of printing on leather? It's a variable substance so I guess I'd like to know what has the best chance of working.

Also, and I understand this is a big favor, I tried using various illustrator and word processing programs to come up with an exact image of the NOSTROMO that goes along the back of the crew jackets using the right font, size, and curvature, but I just lack the skill to do it. If anyone happens to have one or the skills to produce it, I would be very grateful. Basically, I'm looking for something I can give to a garment printer and say "Hey, that's the exact thing I want on the back of my jacket but in such-and-such color".

Thanks for any help.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back