Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Maybe this thread should be moved to Costuming?

Hi - I'm new to the forum. It was this topic that brought me here in fact, hence the bump. Maybe this thread should be moved to Costuming?

Ok. I don't really agree with this one. I don't see this as a
"convention weekend" thread.

But that's just me. Isn't it the thread starter's choice to move the thread?

Great thread ! What other suppliers are out there to complete a costume ? Shoes/boots/watches/shirts/patches/jackets ?

Thanks !

This thread deserves a bump!
I'm in the process of collecting the essential bits'n'bobs for a Kane uniform... trying to localize a suitable snap-button shirt, the Mk3 jacket is in the pipeline, and I'm considering to custom-make the pants.

As for the pressure suit, is the general consensus that the suit used was either the Soviet VKK-4 or VKK-6 version?

Last edited:
This thread deserves a bump!
As for the pressure suit, is the general consensus that the suit used was either the Soviet VKK-4 or VKK-6 version?

As stated earlier in the thread, I don't believe that they used any Soviet pressure suits for the lacing. It looks like they used the lacing from a US G-4B flightsuit (or similar). The major difference being that the G-4B has small horizontal loops that the lacing runs through while the Soviet style has the lacing fed through holes in the vertical webbing. I hope this description makes sense. I will post photos later of the lacing that I made from scratch and attached to my MKIII jacket. I'm just waiting for my camera battery to recharge.

Randy in San Diego

OK, here's some photos of the Nostromo costume I've put together.

RAF MKIII Jacket
NOSTROMO1.JPG

NOSTROMO Stenciled on back of jacket (flash photo).
NOSTROMO2.JPG

Lacing made from scratch.
NOSTROMO3.JPG

Modified Dickies work shirt w/o patches.
NOSTROMO5.JPG

Modified Dickies painters pants.
NOSTROMO6.JPG

NOSTROMO7.JPG

NOSTROMO8.JPG

NOSTROMO9.JPG

NOSTROMO10.JPG

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Randy in San Diego

Thanks for posting those pics, Randy - they went to my costume ref folder straight away... congrats on an excellent Nostromo uniform! Your scratch-built lacings look brillant!
I'm still hung up on that lacing - thanks for clarifying re: the Soviet suits, btw. So, is it confirmed that a US pressure suit (G-4B) lacings were used? I have serious problems finding any pics of that particular suit... GIS came up with nothing. Any ref pics would be welcome!

Gatekeeper

Here's a photo I saved off an Ebay auction.

G-4B.jpg

Unfortunately, you can't see the lacing on the legs. You can see clearly the back portion that was used on the Dallas jacket. As stated earlier in this thread you would need 2 G-4B flightsuits to complete the Dallas jacket.

Randy in San Diego

Here's a Nostromo patch that I've been working on. It's closer to being screen accurate than most of the patches available commercially.

Nostromopatch1-1.jpg

Randy in San Diego

Ok, got mine on ebay. Be careful when buying, these are cut quite short in the body. This is a height size up from what I "should" be.

Nice catch, Templar! Got one too the other day...

Mk3_jacket_comp.JPG

As for your jacket being short - yes, they are. They're so short it feels a bit weird, especially when the sleeves are perfect... the jacket is supposed to be worn with a pair of high waisted Mk3 flying trousers with braces/suspenders. Still, short is also screen-accurate...:)

kane_bw.JPG

Gatekeeper, what size did you get? Are you going to dye it?

I got a size 6, by rights I should have got a Size 2! The 6 is supposedly for someone 6-7" taller than me. However, I like the length on the one I got, sleeves could have been shorter and the jacket trimmer, I might still try and find a 2.

BTW, what do people do about the fold up flap? Cut it off? And the hood too?

It's for cold weather but it doesn't seem hot to wear even at 25° C, does it really keep you warm when it gets very cold? Could be a very versatile jacket if so.

I got a size 8, which is the largest available Mk3 and it fits me just fine. I'm 185cm/6'1", so the length doesn't get any better. As for the waist and chest size, staying off carbs will do the trick...:lol

I've been considering dyeing, but am a bit unsure of how to get a proper colour. Any suggestions?

I'll most likely cut the "beaver tail"... somehow, it makes the jacket a bit uncomfy. I'll keep the hood though.

The jacket feels kinda comfy, temperature-wise - good for indoor conventions, as well as outdoor chilliness...

I don't know yet, might just pick a blue/grey and chance it.

The tail is a bit weird, might just take a scalpel to it. Though the military purists will hate it. Don't care, MY jacket! :cool

I'm tempted to leave the velcro on and just velcro the patches... might even velcro the lacing, if I can find some eyelets that I like the look of.

Yeah, I'll probably go the blue-grey route too. Gonna experiment with mixing a few dyes on another garment first, though.
While looking for dye, I stumbled upon a lime-ish kind of green one, IMO perfect for the t-shirt. Unless I can find some weird, pistachio-lime tees in a store, I'll dye a couple of white ones...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back