Alien Enviromental Suit Progress .Youtube links added last post.

Hmmm. . . . had a little time to mess around with the second image. Here's a cropped section.

The lettering is crooked and has uneven spacing, exactly as if individual dry transfers were applied by hand, quickly. Thoughts?

Oooh, I like "OPEN" much better. That fits quite well.

I hope the original application of the letters was much straighter, and they simply were damaged during weathering or after filming.

Found a poorer pic of the same:

Attachments

• helmethawk.jpg
    helmethawk.jpg
    921.7 KB · Views: 159
Cool shot, Mike. :)
Not sure how much dry transfers would slide around on the surface, but it is relatively easy with rough handling
to chip and scratch them up quite a bit. The same kind of wear is evident on the lettering on the sidearm props.

I played around with the other image a bit. . .

"VENT DIAL" perhaps? The third letter may not be an I, though. Not sure if the structure above and to the right is intended to be a switch or a knob or something.
Four letter words that end in "AL" that would make sense in this case are in pretty short supply.

I was guessing that a wash or a sealant coat might make them lift off, float around a bit and then stick back down in a slightly different place.

I like "DIAL" for that one. It makes sense, and it's possible that a knob is missing from that greeblie.

Ripley's white Narcissus suit has the same greeblie, but with no knob, post or screw at all. No text, either, at least that I can see.

Last edited:
Once Letraset is down it doesn’t move even if flooded with sealer, so it was probably 'badly' applied in the first place. In their defence having lettering just underneath a projection means you have to cut the sheet into individual letters and then try to rub them down - tricky!

Thanks for all the input, guys! I think I'll do a practice run with my white rub down letters and see if I can get
them reasonably straight. If all goes well, I'll add them to the helmet.

ProMod, I've had to work with individual letters before. . . it is a royal pain to do it that way.

I went ahead and added the lettering. I'm pretty confident on the "DO NOT OPEN VENTS" and about
80% on the "VENT DIAL" on the opposite side. The letters were waaaaay too small to try and scrape
them to match the weathering, so I left them complete.

Here's the right side.

Close up on the lettering.

Here's the left side.

Along with its close up.

This was fairly tricky to do. I didn't resort to cutting each letter from the sheet individually, but I did have to cut
each row of letters and work that way. It's a very subtle addition to the helmet, but I know they're there. :)

Many thanks yet again to Richie and Steve for creating a magnificent prop! This has a very prominent place in
my collection and I love it as much today as when I got it in 2009.

I have not been on in a long time. Great addition with the helmet the letters. I never picked up those words were there.
Very cool
Steve

Great results!! I have a collection of Letraset and yes, it a pain to rub and apply each letter by hand (to make them look worn out, you can always take the point of a cutter and remove part of the letter that way).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back