My ultimate Luke ROTJ v2/stunt lightsaber project

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I know that MR is currently in the process of replicating this lightsaber, and from everything I've seen it looks like they've done a beutiful job. However, since they are selling their saber to a mass audience, they have had to idealize the saber prop a bit. Their replica is machined aluminum, whereas the original is cast. Also, they have idealized some of the details of the saber, some of the warts and defects on the original which to my eyes give the prop character.

So I have started working on my own personal project to reproduce this saber, which has always been a holy grail to me. My idea from a dead on reproduction of this prop would be a cast metal (seemlines and all) replica of the original prop based on a replica of the original molding master, so that is what I've attempted to recreate.

Using photos of the original wooden master, I have drawn up a replica of that part in a Cad program. I plan on having this part machined and then, have a couple replicas cast, in aluminum, off of this master so that I can make a Luke V2, OWK stunt saber, and a Luke ROTJ shared stunt saber the way they were originally made for ANH and ROTJ. Anyways, I thought I'd share pics of my Luke/OWK stunt master design.

Enjoy and critique. Please compare to the original. I'd like feedback.

Dan

Last edited:
Looks great but it looks a little too nice compared to the original. You said that you wanted the warts and defects of the original but the rings/grip/whatever are really rather wonky on the original and flawless on your's. Like I said, your drawing looks great. Just a bit too good :)

Looks great but it looks a little too nice compared to the original. You said that you wanted the warts and defects of the original but the rings/grip/whatever are really rather wonky on the original and flawless on your's. Like I said, your drawing looks great. Just a bit too good :)

Thanks for the comments guys. I apreciate the encouragement.

As to the grips. On my model I have made the grips are unevenly spaced and the depth of the grip recesses do varry, but apprently this feature is not unclear on the pics I posted, so should I change my model to make the uneven grip spacign and size more pronounced?

Thanks

Dan

I look at those pictures and I see wonky grips. In fact, they look really aweful (in a good way mind you). I'm not an expert on the V2 but it looks pretty darn good to me. I don't think you have to tweek the grips any at least. They look perfectly bad to my eyes. :cool

Looking at it again, the drawing's grips do look irregular but not as ugly as the real thing :lol I'd tweak them just a bit more myself but I could be way off base. Either way, it still looks good to me :)

Wow, certainly not what you'd expect to hear in a project thread.

"Yeah, it looks pretty bad, but could you make it suck a little more?" :lol

Well, I would like an acurate V2 & shared stunt.
So, I hope you can find some time to get around to this project.
My AS hero saber needs some company on the shelf ;)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back