ENTERPRISE Hoshi's Ear Piece: Found Prop???

Petseal

Hello all,
Here I am again trying to find enough information to finish at least ONE prop!
I found some pictures of what was claimed to be the Communicator Ear Piece worn by Hoshi Sato (played by Linda Park) on Star Trek Enterprise!
Buy looking at the part I would think it is a found prop! I am thinking part of a set of ear plugs for a Walkman type radio with a little circle detailing!
If I am correct then some audio fan out there might recognize it from whatever system it may be from and feel compelled to share that information with me, I mean us!
Here is a picture of the front and back...

Hoshi’sEarpiece.jpg

Thanks all, Petseal

Can't help out identifying the base item but here's an additional image showing the holder for the prop and a screen cap showing the prop on the set.

r14944ST_Enterprise_2846-1z219.jpg

o20520STEnterprise0141_Cold%20Station12-Arp219.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the free earphones you get on a Continental Airlines flight.

I have one and I'll check to see if it's the same.

FB

Thanks guys,
I have pictures showing the "holder" and I was wondering what it was so for that information I thank you SurferGeek!
And franz bolo I hope your right and wrong! If your right then they are probably cheap throw away head sets! So if your wrong I wont have to try and find the supplier to the airlines!
And passed experience has shown me it would be cheaper to book a flight to anywhere and grab a few on the plane!
My biggest fear is that they are a top of the line specialty headset!
A friend at work let me hear my crappy $70 MP3 player through his headset and I tell no lie when I say I had to look around for Alice Cooper and his band, it was THAT CLEAR! :eek
Then he told me that they were BOSE, I think, and he "stole" them for only $600 US a while ago! Before you say it I'm off work right now so I can't ask him!
Anyway thanks for the help so far and keep digging! No telling what treasure will be found soon!
Later Petseal

Here are the pics I took. Unfortunately it's not the same but it shouldn't be too hard to track down a similar one. I took a pics with and without the ear piece and without the foam.

headset.jpg

FB

Here are the pics I took. Unfortunately it's not the same but it shouldn't be too hard to track down a similar one. I took a pics with and without the ear piece and without the foam.

headset.jpg

FB

Bumping this thread to the top. Any more news?

Hilary

The more I look at it, those little slots, if they weren't cut in at the shop, suggest it might have had a microphone pickup in there.

They make hearing amplifiers for surveillance, hunting, birdwatching etc. that look really similar and do have a mike built in. I checked a couple weeks ago, but couldn't find an exact match, but it might be a direction to look in. :)

-Sarge

Well I have tried looking in dollar stores, radio stores, all kinds of stores and I have seen one thing in common with them all!
They ALL carry either the huge cover half your head type OR the small, can never get them to stay, in your ear type!
I have come across the occasional wrap around your head type, but not to often!
If there are any of those "spy" type stores in this burg I can't find em and if I did I would assume they would be pricey!
So as far as I am concerned it has become an other back burner project were I might try and scratch build something in the "future"!
I would think that if I could get the shape and size about right it would then be a matter of buying replacement ear cushions for the inside!
That's all for now, Petseal

I recognized the headphone earpiece immediately -- it's the only style of headphones I wear (they don't mess with my beehive ;)).

Okay, these are Sony MDR-Q33s -- I had a similar pair (different model number), but I can't find them. These are different because the piece covering the back snaps off (currently it's clear) and can be exchanged for different colored backs.

1849727750_0e986301f3.jpg

1849730398_627c326637.jpg

Last edited:
As I said in my post, I recognized the earpiece immediately. Good lord. Just trying to help. :rolleyes

Hehe, key word- "earpiece" :lol They no doubt added some stuff to make it less recognizable. :)

Has anyone just came out and asked HMS Mike about this thing?

-Sarge

Hehe, key word- "earpiece" :lol They no doubt added some stuff to make it less recognizable. :)

Has anyone just came out and asked HMS Mike about this thing?

-Sarge

Yes! Being the instigator here I felt it was my responsibility to ask, so I did! Whatever he shares with me I will of course share here!

Buy the way Juno, I did a search on the net last night for "Sony MDR-Q33"! What a crap shoot! Nobody seems to have them listed but I did find some with slightly different numbers, but they look completely different!
I found sites that had things like this "?????Sony MDR-Q33?????? all over the page!
What pictures I did mange to find were so small I couldn't see anything detail!
I have also done some searches using variations on "head phones" and Sony has the only one I can remember seeing with that large over-the-ear design!
So with any luck HMS Mike can tell us if we are even playing in the right manufacturing ballpark!
Later all, Petseal

Hello All,
I received a reply from HMS Mike today...

Sorry for the delay,

I have so much to do here that it is not always on my mind to answer every one . Or In some cases, In my head I think I have answered already.
As far as I know it was a found part but altered for the show. Again sorry for the delay

mike

So I guess he is in the same boat as the rest of us, we know it's a found prop but not what is was before it was found!
I made a 2-D paper one just to get the size right and to see how it would sit on my ear! I figure by using a common head set I should be able to get the width close enough! Then it's a matter of figuring out wear all the ins and outs go on the ear wrap itself!
So if any of you can come up with any thing better I'll try that!
By for now, Petseal

Hello All,
I received a reply from HMS Mike today...

Sorry for the delay,

I have so much to do here that it is not always on my mind to answer every one . Or In some cases, In my head I think I have answered already.
As far as I know it was a found part but altered for the show. Again sorry for the delay

mike

So I guess he is in the same boat as the rest of us, we know it's a found prop but not what is was before it was found!
I made a 2-D paper one just to get the size right and to see how it would sit on my ear! I figure by using a common head set I should be able to get the width close enough! Then it's a matter of figuring out wear all the ins and outs go on the ear wrap itself!
So if any of you can come up with any thing better I'll try that!
By for now, Petseal

Keep this alive.

Bump

Hilary

Here is a picture of the front and back...

Hoshi’sEarpiece.jpg

Thanks all, Petseal

Hello all,
It's been awhile but I thought I would put this up front again.
I am hoping someone may have missed it before or a new member may have info on what earpiece was used as the basis for this prop from ENTERPRISE?
Hoping for the best, Petseal

Hello all,
It's been awhile but I thought I would put this up front again.
I am hoping someone may have missed it before or a new member may have info on what earpiece was used as the basis for this prop from ENTERPRISE?
Hoping for the best, Petseal

bump

If you can run up a blueprint you like, you could get this ran up at www.printapart.com for maybe a hundred or so. I know that sounds like a lot, but you could make it back in spades selling copies for 15.00 - 20.00 ea. :)

-Sarge

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back