Building the 4' Star Destroyer

ckwanwoo

Sr Member

Hi RPF buddies :lol

In this forum, I already have another post regarding ANH ISD.
But I'd like to update periodically progress of my ISD using this post.

For my SW museum, I 'd like to make the Imeprial Star Destroyer mark-I.
If someone asks me "what is the most impressive scene in the movie you've seen recently"?
I will say it without hestitation, Leia's pod escape from the Star Destroyer.

First, I estimated the length of 3’ ISD in order to make the frame as follow.
The length and wide are 910mm X 460mm based on Lucas museum book which is published from Japan.I think that the length in the book is wrong.
Several months ago, "Ringa" said the length of ISD is about 4feet.
i.e.) 4feet = 4 x 304.8mm (= 1feet) = 1219.2mm
I tried to prove above story using Tamiya 1/35 8rad.
Used part of 8rad in ISD is exactly 152mm as 1st pic and 2nd pic.
Also, the length of ISD is similar to 8 x used part of 8rad.i.e.) 8 x 152mm = 1216mm
From above result, I found the length of ISD is nearly 4feet. (refer to 3rd pic)

Secondly, I measured the length and proportion of ISD using Excel spread sheet because I've never been used 3D tools such as CAD.(refer to 4th pic)
The basic frame is made from wood and the method is the same process by ILM modeler.
It's a tremendous...Actually, I feel MR AT-AT beyond ISD frame is too small.
From now on, I will border with acrylic framework the sides of ISD.
In the 5th pic, I used a measure to the tune of 500mm in order to compare to ISD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Making of ANH Star Destroyer

Thirdly, I made a beginning for the upper/lower boards of ISD.
First of all, I made the pre-upper/lower boards using remained wallpaper at the house-moving and I cut out the upper/lower boards from acrylic materials in the acrylic store around our town.(refer to 1st and 2nd pic)

For measurement of the size, I attached a part of 8rad on the sidewall as 3rd pic.

In the last pics, you can see the comparison shot with SS X-Wing to estimate the ISD's size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yesterday, the bridge are nearly finished.
But I have to identify several parts...:cry

This is probobly one of my second favoite ships in the starwars universe. The first being the Slave one. You are making that scrach modle building look easy! Though I know its not. Keep us posted with photos, might just inspire me to atempt a scrach build... though not as advanced as this.

Wow CK, you have been busy, that looks a fantastic start there, and so nice to see a studio ISD project.
Cant wait to see more.

bests.....lee

Hello everyone :)

My ISD is updated slowly...
Actually, I didn't made upper board of ISD in order to do Lit-up...
so I have a temporary assembling of lower board and the bridge to take pics.
<My webpage...>
http://blog.naver.com/ckwanwoo/40044688670

As you may see, I 'm satisfied with the proportion of my ISD
Also, I hope you give me some advice about display
I'm considering a illumination stand of mini-studio as the below link...
Please advice me...:cry

http://www.phobuy.com/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=151002000058&search=&sort=order

Great updates CK, ive been checking into your blog on a regular basis and im in awe everytime i do lol.

bests.....lee

Great pics! I love watching the greeblies accumulate, still in the various colors of their source kits.

Your build pointed out something about the ANH SD to me that I hadn't noticed before. I saw that your tower supports jut out perpendicular to the plane of the angled top surface of the tower, instead of perpendicular to the plane of the horizon from the ship's POV. I was going to suggest a "correction" but checked reference to discover that this is accurate for the ANH SD (the other orientation being applicable to the ESB models).

Larn sumthin' new ever day.... ;)

Your build pointed out something about the ANH SD to me that I hadn't noticed before. I saw that your tower supports jut out perpendicular to the plane of the angled top surface of the tower, instead of perpendicular to the plane of the horizon from the ship's POV. I was going to suggest a "correction" but checked reference to discover that this is accurate for the ANH SD (the other orientation being applicable to the ESB models).

Larn sumthin' new ever day.... ;)

I never noticed that ! Thanks for pointing it out ;)

Awesome job CK, too bad the pics are veryyyyyy long to load ! :D Anyway I wish you good luck for this long project !

incredible work, you guys are nuts!!!! :eek Id love to have the space to tackle something like this!!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back