Accurate Superman Movie Costume COMPLETE! Pics up!!

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
GELForever wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
in the meantime, this shot shows the cape backing (under the right arm.);
Hollywood2.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Is it just me or does it look like under the arm where you mentioned, there is a seam where they joined another piece of Garbardine fabric to the cap to make it bigger?

That's what it looks like in that pic to me.

Nope, it's the fold in the cape. It's folded in and sewn down, so theres no sign of the edges from the back or sides.

I would like the measurements on a good walking cape, and exactly what kind of material to use... this is like a Holy Grail costume, this and Batman
icon_smile.gif

Troy, I agree. This is the holy grail item if you're a Supes fan.
icon_smile.gif
The material is crimson red wool gabardine. Get wool and not polyester. There's a difference in texture and weight. The yellow is also wool gabardine, but I'm not sure of the exact shade of yellow.

Andy

That cape is too small and the cut is close but no cigar. There seems to be no pleats in it either.
icon_frown.gif

Well here's the info I have on the suit...

Like GELForever said, the costume was custom made to have as little seams as possible. The side seams were moved to the back to hide the view and the only real visible seams were on the shoulders and the cuffs of the sleeves. The suit is of course the teal/peacock blue color we've all heard about and is made from a very heavy material. It's quite thick and very skin tight. The belt is made of a vinyl material about 2" wide and and 33" long, connected in the back using velcro with a resin buckle attached through two holes on the front using brass paper fasteners. The tights are footed and the seams were done in a similar fashion to the top. The cape is a huge semi circle cut that spands roughly 9ft wide and is a bit longer than 4ft long. The cape has two ties or straps that is about 1 inch wide and is approximately 36" long on each side. There is a little piece of satin or wool material that is roughly 11" wide and as long as the collar of the cape's width, which is folded and tucked into the collar of the blue tunic so it creates the effect that the cape comes out of the costume. The S emblem on the front is inset into the chest and the smaller yellow shapes that make up the "S" are embroidered/stitched-on unlike the two major shapes, which are inset. The boots are some kind of crappy grade leather which is quite thin and is form fitting. There is a zipper that runs up the back/sides and a velcro flap to cover the zipper. The boots have a red sole and the sole is quite thin, but thick in Superman IV. That's basically what I have on it. I wish I could see an original suit so I can verify my information 100%, but this is about 98% correct in my opinion.
icon_smile.gif

Andy

I don't know If I've mentioned this already - but all the literature pertaining to the costume itself describes the tunic/tight material as 'Bridal weight spandex' this is the thicker material to which Aeon correctly refers.
The only amendments I would make to his description are the belt was held together at the rear by elastic and gaffer tape (mine is held by velcro, and is, believe me, a much better substitute) and the yellow 'S' on the rear of the cape is an entirely different shape to the front and is nothing more than an embroidered lycra patch.

Will have more pictures soon, (as I've just got a digital camera!!)let me know if you want to see some REALLY detailed close-up's...

Just thought I'd show you guys this.
icon_smile.gif

scollection.jpg

Thanks to Tripoli for hooking me up with the Smallville props!! It made an awesome addition to my current Superman collection. It's tossed in a display case until I can find a suitable mannequin and proper display frames for the new toys. Thanks again Jeff!!!

Andy
icon_biggrin.gif

Yesterday was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life! I wore my SupermanIV stunt crew jacket to memorabilia in the UK to have pictures signed by Margot Kidder. Even though I was petrified to ask her any questions she actually came to me and commented about how great it was to see the jacket again! She is a truly teriffic lady and we spent a good ten minutes nattering about the movies. I would loved to have showed up in my costume but the damn thing is coming together so slowly!
Close up pics will be up soon - but for now;
M&M.jpg

My daffy expression was due to suprise when she threw her arms around me...Wow...

That's pretty KEWL! Now if you had the costume, would she still grope ya??
icon_lol.gif

This is a very informative thread, so is it possible to archive it? I've never seen so much Superman info in one place.
icon_smile.gif

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back