BSG Viper Pilot Helmet - Finished!

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Actually, I took about an 8 month break from it.

I had initially installed standard, yellow LEDs into it, but was disappointed with them. They weren't bright enough, so I installed Super Bright LEDs and re-wired them.

The LEDs had to be wired two at time in serial with a resistor. Those were then wired in parallel with the rest of the LEDs. A major pain, but they're as bright as can be. :)

I also added a second 9 volt battery. One 9 volt powers the top row of lights. The other powers the bottom row of lights. It was another attempt to brighten every thing up, but I don't know if it matters since the wiring is different.

Foam was added to the inside, top of the helmet. I probably added about 3" of foam to the forehead area. It was all I could do to keep the lights away from my face. The originals must have had a lot of padding in that area.

The light bars or covers were vacuum formed, clear plastic. In order to get the look of the originals, I sprayed the inside and outside with "frost" spray paint (Home Depot). Looking back, I realize that just sanding the plastic may have give it the same effect.

Day light:
BGViperHelmet01.jpg

At dusk:
BGViperHelmet02.jpg

At night:
BGViperHelmet03.jpg

I'd have to scan a drawing for you.

I had to actually sit down and draw out a small diagram just to figure out how I was going to wire them up.

I believe I have now graduated from LED/electronics prop school at this point, though. :D

I've got to scan a drawing I made of the number of lights, so I'll scan my wiring diagram. I'll try and post it later this week. :)

It's from Testors. It's Model Master Afrika Dunkelgrau RAL7027 1942(F).

You can order it online at www.testors.com

or you can find it at your local hobby store.

I found my drawings for the eletronics and will post them next week.

In the mean time, here are the number of lights used:

Top: 13

Bottom: 16

There is about a 1" separation between each LED, with the exception of the corners. I based my drawing off Apollo's helmet seen in the pilot. Same deal with the colors.

Very nice work with the lights. :thumbsup

Are you able to post some shots of the inside of the helmet? I'm curious to see how you installed the foam -- where, what kind, and how much.

Really great job. :)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back