Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    From
    Sweden
    Jul 21, 2009, 3:53 PM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #26

That third tool from the right is the one he uses to stop the goomba when they are in the tunnels. From 08:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq5-Z...E18CA&index=48
    From
    Houston, TX
    Jul 21, 2009, 4:16 PM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #27

Yep, you're exactly right. That is the Spanner Wrench he used in that scene. Here's a better pic of it.

3. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Dec 18, 2009, 9:12 PM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #28

Great pics everyone!
    Jan 6, 2010, 9:35 PM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #29

i liked this movie a lot when I was a kid, it wasn't perfect but it was and still is a fun movie to watch.
    From
    Leland, NC
    Jan 7, 2010, 8:24 AM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #30

Not screen used, but then again, we made a few of them for the show. Got this on the day we wrapped as it was headed for the dumpster.
    From
    Houston, TX
    Jan 10, 2010, 3:36 PM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #31

Very cool piece! Were you able to snag any other items from the film while you were working on it?

Thanks for sharing!
    From
    Leland, NC
    Jan 10, 2010, 9:25 PM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #32

nothing substantial. Just an unused blueprint for a combo chainsaw/ guitar and some of the subway grafitti signs. Probably could post those over in the paper props section if I can find 'em.
    From
    Houston, TX
    Jan 10, 2010, 11:55 PM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #33

Actually those sound pretty cool! I'd be interested in seeing them sometime!
    From
    West Coast, USA
    Jan 12, 2010, 8:24 PM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #34

I was able to obtain a screen used police helmet and shoulder patch. I'll post some pics later.
    From
    VB
    Jan 18, 2010, 1:33 AM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #35

wow this thread brought back some memories. Love that movie.
    From
    Sydney, Australia
    Jan 18, 2010, 2:18 AM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #36

Loved the movie and the music.. Would love a necklace..
    From
    Oregon
    Oct 20, 2012, 7:30 PM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #37

Starfighter29 said: View Post
    Well since I guess this has become the official SMB thread here, I thought I'd post my latest acquisitions from the film...

Mario's Tool Set!

Apparently, right as filming began, Bob Hoskins was fitted with a complete set of real tools to carry throughout the film, however they were very heavy to lug around the whole time (throughout the entire film actually) so he requested a lighter set be made. These tools were cast out of resin from the metal tools and these were the ones he ended up carrying instead. And understandably so...these tools are one half to 3/4 lighter than real metal and wood tools.
    Awesome! This actually is going to help my husband and I for a con in March. He wasn't looking forward to carrying around heavy tools either for his Luigi. Thanks!
  13. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Oct 22, 2012, 10:53 AM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #38

Love this movie have such a soft spot for it.
    From
    Houston, TX
    Oct 22, 2012, 10:59 AM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #39

The movie really is a lot of fun even though it's a loose translation of the games. I've always loved the art direction and all of the prop designs.

I think people are starting to see the film a bit differently now and it has developed quite a following in recent years.
  15. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Oct 24, 2012, 3:05 AM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #40

the film has definatly moved into cult status with alot of people i know. Shame that the cast hate the fact that they were ever a part of it at the time.
    From
    Houston, TX
    Oct 24, 2012, 9:44 AM - Re: Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace #41

It is indeed a shame that the cast doesn't tend to reflect back too fondly on the film, but I think the biggest part of that reason was because of the chaotic, confusing lack of direction they were receiving. The cast actually had fun while they were shooting it, but from an acting standpoint, they didn't have the most optimal actor-director relationship that I think a lot of them were used to. Over time, the cast has at least started talking about the film, some memories being fond, but they're also frank about the film's problems as well, whereas in the past, they've never wanted to even discuss it.

People who were part of the crew actually have quite a different take on the film because it gave a lot of them a great start in the industry or it was the largest production some of them had ever worked on. I mean, the film actually had a pretty large scale to it when you look at the variety of sets and how large some of them were, in addition to the quite creative production design. I look at the film as also sort of being the end of the 80s/early-90s type of filmmaking where they weren't afraid to build massive sets and they continued to push the boundaries of practical effects before CG took over.

Overall, I still look at the film as being a lot of fun and great example of the large scale big budget films from that era had.