Batman Begins Closet Display

gregday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finally installed the overhead lighting for the Begins closet. Eventually I'd like to install a photoelectric sensor on the doors so that the light slowly fades up as they open. For now it's controlled by a manual switch. These were taken with those 2 lights being the only source of illumination, and it's quite menacing in person.

Now I'm just waiting on my new cowl and cape. What you see here in place of the cowl is the holder with black velvet lining.

picture-1.jpg

picture-2.jpg

picture-3.jpg

picture-4.jpg

picture-5.jpg

picture-6.jpg

Re: Batman Begins Closet - overhead lighting

Got the 10th and final batarang mounted, and snapped a wide, brighter lit shot. Starting to look pretty close to my original reference photo of the real thing.

It's amazing how the torso armor can look like either a slick oiled statue, a powdery grey suit, or a heavy metallic shield depending entirely on lighting.

widebright.jpg

Amazing! :eek :thumbsup

The lighting makes such a difference and really matches it up to what's seen on-screen. Great job on the buildup man! You should be proud!

One more, and tonight I installed a pressure switch so the light automatically fades on when you open the doors, and fades off when you close them, just like a fridge door light :)

picture-3.jpg

Need to do a little cleanup work to hide the electronics, but it functions perfectly.

This may be one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Ever. If your closet was a woman, I would take it out behind the High School and get it pregnant!:lol:lol:lol:lol

I bow down to your awesomeness!

This may be one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Ever. If your closet was a woman, I would take it out behind the High School and get it pregnant!:lol:lol:lol:lol

I bow down to your awesomeness!

Funniest thing I've ever read on a forum. Kudos sir. Kudos.

I had 2 jobs last night. First, wash the inside of the torso with soap & water, then alcohol, and then fill it the cavities with expanding 10x Smooth-On FoamIT expanding foam. That went surprisingly well. The foam expanded inside the chest and torso area and filled it out nicely. Now the reverse side is a bit more even and ready for the undersuit attachment. But more importantly, the suit isn't as "soft" when you push against it. It has quite a bit more resistance and is closer to feeling like "armor."

Job 2 was to drench the exterior in Armor All and give it a nice polish. It's really hard to tell from this picture alone, except on the shoulders. But the suit now has a nice shine. It looks smooth and clean, but not wet or oily.

polished.jpg

Before polishing though, I got a picture of how the torso will look with the undersuit and full arms. I just temporarily attached the gauntlets at the elbow for this picture.

bbarmtest.jpg

And torso top with cape + clips:

batmanbeginscloset%203.jpg

Bonus shot - my friend wearing the new cape. Got the hem all sewn up and I really like the single cloth approach. No unsightly seams or lines running down it. And true to the Begins style, it's much longer on the ends than in the center. Still smaller than screen accurate, but seriously they used over a dozen differently sized capes in Begins depending on the scene.

IMG_0013.JPG

Undersuit and cowl will be ready very shortly.

I'd never really put the belt up with the torso before, since I don't have the leg armor, an undersuit, or a mannequin form. But I rigged up something long enough to get some pictures and I think it works pretty well.

The belt is a BA bronze one. It's nice, but I wish it curved a bit better.

suitwithbelt%202.jpg

suitwithbelt%203.jpg

suitwithbelt%204.jpg

picture-17.jpg

picture-18.jpg

picture-19.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Batman Begins Closet

Greg, I dont like your closet. I LOVE IT!

Great work brother. I truly truly hope to have a full sized replica of the 89/Returns Bat Closet/Safe.

My wife said I have to finish my Batman Fan Film first. THEN I can build the replica Bat Safe. LOL

Again, LOVE your work brother!

So when are you getting your new cowl in? I'm really looking forward to seeing your display all finished up!

Also, what was the process like for reinforcing the torso armor? Do you have any pics of what the inside looks like now? I haven't begun mounting my Begins suit yet, so I might have to try this out as well...

Thanks for sharing the pics btw!

Basically I just poured 2 part Smooth On FoamIT into the concave areas and let it expand and fill. It doesn't make it bulletproof or inflexible, but it does put something a bit tougher than urethane there, and it helps keep the shape. When it's attached to the undersuit and worn, it won't just collapse when you push your finger on it.

I'll try to get some pictures of the inside later. But I warn you, it's not pretty :)

Undersuit all done and armor attached :)

Got some forearm guards to put on though, later.

100_4246.jpg

100_4241.jpg

100_4245.jpg

batsuit.jpg

100_4227.JPG

That is an excellent body suit material you have there man. Good job! Maybe you'll have your stuff done by the time TDK comes out. Then it's time to start all over again!

That is an excellent body suit material you have there man. Good job! Maybe you'll have your stuff done by the time TDK comes out. Then it's time to start all over again!

The bodysuit was made by COS and FX Studios / Knight's Haven Studios. You can see some more of their work at cosandfx.com

Highly recommended work. There are even small hidden black zippers in the sleeves, and the tension cord works amazingly well. Just expert craftsmanship all around.

I really love the whole thing, the suit and the closet idea. I'm sure this will inspire others. Very Cool. :thumbsup

New custom fabricated shelves. All steel, very heavy and strong. Painted and installed tonight.

100_4275.JPG

100_4277.JPG

100_4272.JPG

100_4288.JPG

100_4287.JPG

100_4298.JPG

100_4299.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back