Real Hovering Jedi Training Remote: FINISHED!

Re: Real Floating Jedi Training Remote 2.0: 10 YEARS LATER!

You are already at 14?! Damn man these are a lot of work, you got to be doing these things all day long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posed this question on the project thread but thought I'd ask here as well to get more opinions.
In an effort to further streamline my build process so that I will be able to make it farther down the growing waiting list, I had an idea for a small change that would only slightly affect the appearance of the remote but would greatly improve build time, the ability for me to align the parts more symmetrically, and in my opinion look better.
Regarding the red ringed laser areas. there are vertical and horizontal red bars that look kind of like a cross-hair around each chrome rim. The vertical bar is actually a groove caused by the separation of the two half moon shapes but the horizontal bar is just sloppy red paint on top of the half moons.
Simply making the horizontal bar into an actual groove like the vertical one allows me to drastically speed up and simplify the build process and in my opinion looks cleaner. In exchange, I would technically be sacrificing a slight bit off accuracy in that this 5mm area would have a 0.5mm difference in height from what it does now.

so my question is, is this change significant enough from the prop that it's not worth the benefits? or do you think the change is either better because it looks more even and less like a painting mistake like the screen used prop? or the change is so small, you'd never even notice?

Screen used
Screen Shot 09-16-18 at 12.04 PM.PNG

How I currently do mine (with red vinyl instead of paint)
Screen Shot 09-16-18 at 12.05 PM.PNG

I'd essentially be changing this
Screen Shot 09-15-18 at 04.38 PM.PNG

To this
Screen Shot 09-15-18 at 04.37 PM.PNG

Which would look like this when completed
Screen Shot 09-15-18 at 04.49 PM.PNG

Here's a test printed piece showing both how I do it now (left half), compared to what I'm suggesting (right half)
b458a4fbcf88829ba524bb28c27fafe1.jpge6b8d1da3a394c28d4f2acd8eb3dcc82.jpg

Last edited:
Trent was thinking more on this but another reason it may have been done that way without the recess could be simply to lend support to the U shaped piece - sure I read it was attached to the other piece in one of the two threads, might changing this also cause a area of fragility, i.e. if someone some how snagged something under it or was to holding and apply pressure on the U piece might it cause stress or snap?

Not sure. For mine it wouldn't cause it to be any more fragile than it already is though. The opposite actually. the tips of the Horse shoe piece stick out regardless of whats underneath it so the potential to snag is still there. However currently the horseshoe is glued to the disc to minimize any glue residue or fogging from attaching it to the vinyl / half moon directly.
The change would mean it was a single piece. that means no glued parts to snap off and the resin is quite flexible. It would bend before snapping off unlike the way it is now since it's glued rigidly to it.

Looking great man!

Trent it's absolutely incredible - I love it. It took me a few attempts to get it set up its certainly quite weird that sensation of it trying to lurch, it's a powerful magnet.
All I can say about it to anyone waiting - is this is worth the wait and some.

These are so accurate it’s freak’n scary... my god

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back