Real Hovering Jedi Training Remote: FINISHED!

On this one the ad said it has an extra magnet to hold the globe when it's not turned on.

I'm curious if that means you can just turn it off and on with out touching the globe??? I would think that's what they meant and that would be ideal.

On this one the ad said it has an extra magnet to hold the globe when it's not turned on.

I'm curious if that means you can just turn it off and on with out touching the globe??? I would think that's what they meant and that would be ideal.

no, what it means is that if you turn it off, you can still stick it to the top arm.
Turning it on will not automatically set it. It will come with a spacer and you have to time the distance with the magnet pulses to get it in balance.
Kind of hard to explain but on mine, you hold the spacer in place, then set the ball on the bottom, which will cause it to beep. Then you bring the ball up and touch the spacer at the same time that it does the following double beep. THen you have a couple of seconds to lever the spacer until it drops slightly into a hover. If it does not, you have to start over.

This is a list of needed model parts used on the original I have assembled from the build threads. This is all new to me as I was going to just buy the MR one so please add in any corrections.

So far the list I've put together is:

Bandai Panther G 1/48 or 1/48 Tamiya Panther G Tank Model (8 of them or one and cast parts) About $10 to $20 each on Ebay for the Tamiya.

The Bandai Panther is the one used for the film. The Tamiya parts are slightly smaller and a little more detailed but you have to really look and have the two next to each other to see the difference. The Bandai is usually a little more expensive and harder to find.

Airfix 1/72 Panzer IV About $10 on Ebay

Hasegawa M4 Sherman Tank about $10 on Ebay

AMT Kenworth T600A (Has 4 rims only so might need 2 and must have at least 1 for axel brackets) $40 to $100 on Ebay. Don't get the white one. It does not have the chrome rims. the correct one looks to be light silver and has blue stripes. Not as common and more expensive than the white ones.

AMT Midnight Express (Has many rims)

Thank You to all the JTR builders who have provided all of the above info. It's all from their research.

Last edited:
A fully built 6" prop with the correct pieces weighs 230 grams.Thanks to almar bouwman for providing that

Is that still floatable????

Bare in mind this would have been built with no consideration for weight but it just gives an idea.

A fully built 6" prop with the correct pieces weighs 230 grams.Thanks to almar bouwman for providing that

Is that still floatable????

Bare in mind this would have been built with no consideration for weight but it just gives an idea.

couldn't tell ya. The only thing you can do is take the plunge and risk destroying a $100 floating globe if it doesn't work. That's why I waited 2 years before doing it to mine.:lol.

My suggestion would be to get a very sensitive scale that can accurately measure fractions of a gram.
1. Weigh the globe as it is out of the box to get your standard.
2. remove the globe graphic, then make sure it still floats and weigh it again to get the difference (weight of the graphic)
3. If the one you get is like mine, the globe is in two halve that fit together like a plastic easter egg. open it up and dump all the parts in it and close it up. If it STILL floats, you're fine and you don't have to worry about it much.
If not, you'll have to start cutting the weight down.
4. drilling the holes for the parts will remove a good portion of the globe which will lighten it up a bit so you'll just have to go at it slow, weigh and test float it often.
5. If worse comes to worse, you could sand out the interior of the globe to make it thinner to try and lighten it up, but risk potentially sanding through it, ruining it.
The most important thing is DO NOT TOUCH THE MAGNET. Even if it is just seemingly hot glued into the inside of the globe, the angle and position is crucial to allowing it to float and spin (if your globe offers that option)
the magnet in my globe is a tad off center and mounted at a very slight angle. This is so there is a difference in pull as it turns, which allows the device to ever so slightly pull and release, which causes the spin.

I've been following this thread for a while and now Gizmodo has posted a link to your YouTube video! Congrats, man. Internet fame!

just read it on gizmodo! You are my internet hero! Congrats again dude on all your hard work and finally making this bad boy levitate!

Just saw this on theforce.net. Great idea, and beautiful result!

Wonder if Lucasfilm will go for an official one now? It could really fit their line of products about "science" toys by Uncle Milton.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back