Real Hovering Jedi Training Remote: FINISHED!

Re: Hovering / Floating Globe

Not if that funky neon ring is some sort of base the object has to sit on top of to float.

Revolution-Space-Shuttle.jpg

Wouldn't work either way. 4oz is nothing - my swiss army knife weighs 4oz. A training remote, assuming you use a 6" plastruct ball (made from 2 hemis) and all the model parts (or resin equivalent), including styrene greeblies, paint and glues weighed somewhere well over the 20oz mark. It's entirely too heavy.

Now, if I could send mine, with the magnets already installed (and they wouldn't need to tear it apart) to somebody to build a custom base for a fair amount, I'd consider it.

-Fred

http://www.livesciencestore.com/58146.html

Same as in the first post, but better price now. :) Anyone ever buy one to try?

Edit: wasn't sure if this is the same one Trooper Trent got. Anyway, if an actual model won't work, a sphere painted to look like a remote would still be pretty cool. :)

Do a Google or Youtube search on Levitron Globe and you'll find some vids of it in action.

Last edited:

Not to hijack, but theoretically, it would be possible to float a prop hoverboard in a display if it could handle the weight right? Awesome technology. I can't believe it's real.

Or as another idea would his method work for the floating ore from Avatar ?

has anyone thought of using a paper craft remote, that'd be pretty light to start off with?

I think the most practical use for this is the Phantasm Sphere.
I think an open hand for the base would be cool, or incorperate it into a lifesize Tall Man sculpt.

phantasm-the-tallman.jpg

I know it has been years since I created this thread. But I'm just now starting to make some progress on this thing.

I've had this floating globe sitting in my office for a couple of years now and every once in a while, I'll get the urge to convert it. Well, Finally a couple of days ago, I just took the plunge and ripped off the printed globe covering, leaving just the plastic ball.

So I'm off!

Started with this
floating-globe.jpg

The covering was thicker than I thought, which lightened it up quite a bit. I made sure it still floated without the extra weight and it did.

With the extra weight gone, I have a little more wiggle room for adding the pieces.
First, I marked off some lines for placement, then I weighed it using a food scale that is very sensitive.

trainingremote1.jpg

I then made a few TEST pieces and made my first cut into the ball to insert the "wheel" piece.

trainingremote2.jpg

Keep in mind that this will not be quite full sized. My globe is only 5" in diameter so I'm going to have to custom make each piece rather use get castings of the model parts. So this will definitely not be 100% accurate. Having said that, I always thought the original prop seemed bigger in real life than it appeared on screen, proportionately. That may be due to the fact that it was shot separately on green screen and then super-imposed, possibly at a different distance. This globe APPEARS (at least to me anyway) to be about the right size compared to my graflex as the movie remote appears to Luke's Graflex in ANH. That's my justification for making it smaller anyway.

After fitting the test pieces, I weighed it again. Due to removing the bit of plastic for the hole to allow the Wheel piece to fit, and due to the light weight materials I'm using, I netted 0 extra weight!!

trainingremote3.jpg

This means theoretically, I can repeat this process for each "wheel" piece and not gain any extra weight. I estimate that the other pieces (once I find out how to make them) and paint will gain just about the same as the weight of the globe cover so I should still be well withing my tolerances. I also tested before hand, putting pennies inside to see how heavy I could get it and have it still float without straining the base.
Anyway, Here's a quick teaser. Remember, these are just test pieces so they arent as clean as they will be when I make the final ones.

YouTube - TrAining remote test

Looks like I'm off to a good start! More progress to follow shortly!

Last edited:
Re: Truly Hovering Training Remote: Update! Progress Finally!

convert it to a Deathstar and be done with it. LOL
looks good man, keep it up (pun intended)

convert it to a Deathstar and be done with it. LOL
looks good man, keep it up (pun intended)

My 4 year old came in while I was working on it last night and said, "Daddy, is that a Death Star?"
At least I know I'm teaching him well. :lol

This is really cool. What are you using to create the add on pieces?

Last edited:

Haven't figure it all out yet, but so far, the square/rectangle pieces and the outer rings for the lasers are just made of craft foam and the "wheel" parts are just smal canister caps. I'll probably end up using styrene or something similar for these parts if I can keep the weight down.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back