The most accurate ANH Vader helmet out there?

This pic below might help understand the dilemma.

Why does the screen helmet look so much wider? Could it be that over time the helmet became narrower due to tension from the straps? But since the DJ helmet is supposed to be cast from original ANH molds then it appears that the helmet started out narrow. So what caused the set helmet to appear wider? Could it be that all the necks are the same width and we are simply being fooled by camera distortion??

Originally posted by KevVader@Feb 11 2006, 03:58 PM
It is interesting to note the depth of the neckline on the GH chest armor as compared to screen used.....mine seems to plunge deeper then what's shown....
[snapback]1181967[/snapback]​

I noticed this too. I think that the armor in the movie might be pulled far enough back, causing it to 'rock' out in the front, thus eliminating the gap?

I was saving up most of my DV questions until I started getting more pieces together. :) Like, just how far back is that armor supposed to sit? Do the shoulderbells sit slightly under the chest armor? Etc...

Originally posted by cking@Feb 11 2006, 10:53 PM
Are you sure that neck is covering it?
To me, it looks like the neck is going down inside the neck opening on the armor.
Just something to consider.

Chris
[snapback]1181931[/snapback]​
I thought that it did both in the movie: in some shots the neck was on top of the chest armor on others it was inside... just wish a had a way to make screen captures to show my point. Hope someone helpful can see if my recollection is correct and crab pictures of it and post it here.

Cheers.

Originally posted by clutch+Feb 11 2006, 05:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ Feb 11 2006, 05:32 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Feb 11 2006, 03:58 PM
It is interesting to note the depth of the neckline on the GH chest armor as compared to screen used.....mine seems to plunge deeper then what's shown....
[snapback]1181967[/snapback]​

I noticed this too. I think that the armor in the movie might be pulled far enough back, causing it to 'rock' out in the front, thus eliminating the gap?

I was saving up most of my DV questions until I started getting more pieces together. :) Like, just how far back is that armor supposed to sit? Do the shoulderbells sit slightly under the chest armor? Etc...
[snapback]1181984[/snapback]​
[/b]

I think it would be difficult to have the armor ride farther back on the shoulders....if so, then the front V of the chest portion would stickout farther from the chest and/or the armor would sit higher and it would be difficult for it remain in place. The "trap" sections are rounded, so IMO there's really only one way that the armor can sit on the shoulders....

...although looking at the last pic of Vader and the Imperial Officer in RKW's series.....is it possible that the screen used armor would've had thin padding at least in the top section of the armor? That would account for the armor sitting a tad higher...thus the neckline would be closer to the helmet neck rim, closing the gap...

Originally posted by clutch@Feb 12 2006, 12:34 AM
I think the shadows tend to make the neck look thinner.
[snapback]1181990[/snapback]​
Yeah, in the comparison picture above the Cast from Original Molds and the ESB Poster helmet have the exact same neck, yet the lighting makes them look different. The Original Cast looks wider, whereas the ESB Poster helmet looks thinner, yet it is clear to see that they are exactly the same shape and width, when disregarding the shadow and lighting effect.

Just love the ANH LFL Archives shot... would love to see that in higher resolution, if possible.

I wonder why SPFX has watermarked the 20th Century helmet photo as his own when I took that pic (along with many others) at "Ojika's" home - just a few days after he took ownership of the helmet.

I don't mind people using pics that I've taken, but to blatantly put their own watermark on it like Phil has is a bit crappy IMHO.

Chris

Originally posted by cking@Feb 11 2006, 10:48 PM
I wonder why SPFX has watermarked the 20th Century helmet photo as his own when I took that pic (along with many others) at "Ojika's" home - just a few days after he took ownership of the helmet.

I don't mind people using pics that I've taken, but to blatantly put their own watermark on it like Phil has is a bit crappy IMHO.

Chris
[snapback]1182004[/snapback]​

He has never claimed to have taken the pictures. He just watermarks every image posted on his website.

Well doesn't that imply that he's claiming them as his own? What's the point of watermarking someone else's image on his website?

Originally posted by RKW+Feb 12 2006, 10:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ Feb 12 2006, 10:25 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Cougar
@Feb 11 2006, 09:06 PM
I always thought GH helmet was the most accurate ANH available? Is that not the case?
[snapback]1181938[/snapback]​

At one time maybe, but not anymore.
[snapback]1181978[/snapback]​
[/b]

I have always thought that the GH ANH was the best available, thats just put a downer on the news I learnt last week-end.Talk about being having a bucket of ice cold water being tipped over ya. :( My lil sister is not going to like reading this, considering the $$ thats just been spent aquiring a set of GH ANH Helmet & Armour.

Originally posted by Cougar+Feb 12 2006, 01:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cougar @ Feb 12 2006, 01:11 AM)</div>
Originally posted by RKW@Feb 12 2006, 10:25 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Cougar
I always thought GH helmet was the most accurate ANH available? Is that not the case?

I have always thought that the GH ANH was the best available, thats just put a downer on the news I learnt last week-end.Talk about being having a bucket of ice cold water being tipped over ya. :( My lil sister is not going to like reading this, considering the $$ thats just been spent aquiring a set of GH ANH Helmet & Armour.
[snapback]1182021[/snapback]​
[/b]
Well, if she loves it, why bother what other people think? It's all a matter of opinion anyway. One week it is one helmet, the other another... it is making me dizzy... so I just ignore all that and go for the helmet I like, regardless of what other people are saying I should choose. .)

Hope your sister isn't disappointed with the helmet and armor, just because it isn't the best out there. It is what it is and it looks the part, just not super anal accurate. :angel

Originally posted by Cougar+Feb 12 2006, 10:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cougar @ Feb 12 2006, 10:11 AM)</div>
Originally posted by RKW@Feb 12 2006, 10:25 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Cougar

[snapback]1182021[/snapback]​
[/b]

Man, don't stress :)

GH gear is, in my opinion, the best. It's rare, it's accurate, it has lineage..... it's the bees knees. I love mine to death.........

GH-Vader.jpg

He's still a work in progress, but I think he's looking pretty good and that's GH armour and Helmet.

Again, I say, don't stress. :)

Cheers,

Kraig

This might be a bonehead question, but I've wondered; Is there any way the ANH helmet could have warped during production? When they were making this movie that was considered a disaster at the time. I'm sure taking utmost and proper care of the props and costumes was probably not at the forefront of their priorities. They were just trying to get the movie finished before the whole production went belly-up. Who knows what the Vader costume could have been subjected to while not being used? Could the face and neck especially have changed slightly as production wore on?

If that were possible, combined with lens distortion, trying to acquire any kind of "definitive" helmet could be impossible. Just a thought, and probably a wrong one.

I can just see it now, on the set of A New Hope. "We have to use the 'thinner' neck in this shot." "No, no. Bring me the thicker neck. We've got to change things up so in the future when people are trying to replicate this helmet, they'll drive themselves nuts." "MMMuuuuMMHHHhHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHaaaaa." <evil laughter ensues>

The mold might be identical but if the mothermold/jacket is not firmly against it or is flexible, the cast can come out wider or narrower.

The debating over this fundamentally simply scenario is mind boggling. The main cause for one helmet looking wider, fatter, narrower, or anorexic as comparied to an original is almost invariably due to crappy mother molds ....and yet this same crappy mother mold making can also exist in the studio. Remember, we are the detail geeks, not the guys making the films.

Originally posted by steveo@Feb 12 2006, 10:35 AM
I can just see it now, on the set of A New Hope.  "We have to use the 'thinner' neck in this shot."  "No, no.  Bring me the thicker neck.  We've got to change things up so in the future when people are trying to replicate this helmet, they'll drive themselves nuts."  "MMMuuuuMMHHHhHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHaaaaa."  <evil laughter ensues>
[snapback]1182038[/snapback]​

....." Oh, oh and in the next shot, we'll sit his armour back towards his neck, put the helmet on top of the cape and sit his dome higher up, that'll reeealy upset them too" :lol

Cheers,

Kraig

For the sake of consideration, here's my JBV2 which I recently acquired from a fellow RPF'er. Thanks man. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Just to cover my bases, I have a VM01 on the way. I look forward to taking pics of them side-by-side.

JBV2Feb-06.jpg

Thanks to WhackyChimp for hosting

Originally posted by RKW@Feb 11 2006, 11:21 PM
The GH armour is still the best money can buy.
[snapback]1182025[/snapback]​

I agree, I've one and I love it.

vaderbw2.jpg

Cougar you scored some good stuff.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back