Star Trek Alien Scanner?

Entropy

IAW is currently offering this item, billed as an "alien scanner" made for use in Star Trek episodic television:

5514-1er.jpg

Does anyone happen to know what series and/or episode(s) this thing was used in and what it was for?

It would be pretty easy to replicate. The base is a stud finder:

studfinder.jpg

(Thanks to Wackychimp for the image hosting)

yea, isaw that auction also, not sure what episode its from tho. But I actually have one of those stud finders, so I might mock up one from it, dosent look that hard

Got one sitting right here. Gonna mod it soon, thanks for showing it. I bet you it is from Enterprise, but I can't confirm that.

Jhusel

try looking at the final season of Enterprise if I recall.

This prop was used in Enterprise in the Series Finale These are the Voyages. When Archer and Shran go to rescue Shran's daughter they fabricate a fake diamond looking thing and the aliens use this prop to scan it.

H

This prop was used in Enterprise in the Series Finale These are the Voyages. When Archer and Shran go to rescue Shran's daughter they fabricate a fake diamond looking thing and the aliens use this prop to scan it.

H

Hello hokie1,
Is this something you remember or do you have access to something to can actually check?
I ask because when I saw your post I dashed over to trekcore, a site devoted to screen caps from ALL Star Trek shows! It's my No. 1 source for reference pictures! Anyway I looked threw the scans from "These are the Voyages" and the only devise I could see was a larger object with two red lights shaped like U's laid on there sides. I saw nothing with a green disc on its front!
I looked threw a few other episodes then for some reason I would click on a link to a one episode and it would send me to a different one!
Gave up for now but I will keep looking. The stud finder is in stock at a local hardware store but I want to wait till I know that it is a Star Trek prop and what episode it was used in! I already have a few "Star Trek" props that I am sure have nothing to do with the show!
Later, Petseal

Hello hokie1,
Is this something you remember or do you have access to something to can actually check?
I ask because when I saw your post I dashed over to trekcore, a site devoted to screen caps from ALL Star Trek shows! It's my No. 1 source for reference pictures! Anyway I looked threw the scans from "These are the Voyages" and the only devise I could see was a larger object with two red lights shaped like U's laid on there sides. I saw nothing with a green disc on its front!
I looked threw a few other episodes then for some reason I would click on a link to a one episode and it would send me to a different one!
Gave up for now but I will keep looking. The stud finder is in stock at a local hardware store but I want to wait till I know that it is a Star Trek prop and what episode it was used in! I already have a few "Star Trek" props that I am sure have nothing to do with the show!
Later, Petseal

Yeah I was watching These are the Voyages on Saturday and noticed it. I had seen the prop on Ebay and was unsure where it came from but then it hit me when I saw the episode. I have the whole series on DVD and could pull a screen cap is someone can point me in the right direction.

Hilary

Yeah I was watching These are the Voyages on Saturday and noticed it. I had seen the prop on Ebay and was unsure where it came from but then it hit me when I saw the episode. I have the whole series on DVD and could pull a screen cap is someone can point me in the right direction.

Hilary

Many thanks Hilary I am going to have to go back to trekcore again and this time keep my eyes open! :wacko
Later, Petseal

Hello again
I was unaware that there is a "slide show" feature at the trekcore site so I was able to just sit there and watch as picture by picture went by!
And still no screen capes of this prop so hokie1 if you can get one or two shots of this prop could you please post them here? I would be very appreciative of your efforts.
I found that the fourth season of Enterprise the average number of screen capes per episode is around 550! A few went over 700 and a some earlier shows barely made it over 400. This episode has exactly 383 screen caps! I would say there are a lot of scenes missing from this episode!
Anyway, I have decided that tomorrow I will buy a studsensor and make the prop!
Thanks again for your help hokie1 and for any help you might be able to pass along later!
Best to All, Petseal

For any Canadians out there who might like to try this one! (Didn't try looking in the US site so I do not know if the same applies)
I found the Studscensor on the Home Depot.ca site for $9.99!
No shipping at the local store so I thought it would be a better deal then winning one of eBay then paying god knows what for shipping!
On my way to The Home Depot I stopped at other hardware stores "just" in case anyone else had it even cheaper! Most places didn't have it at all and the ones that did it was marked at $19.99.
No big deal I can still get it for 10 bucks!
So imagine my confusion when I found the item hanging playfully on there pegboard hooks at $19.98!
I talked to a guy there and he said if it was marked at $9.99 on there web site then thats what they had to give it to me for!
He logged onto the site, found the page and I walked out with a Studsensor for half price! So if you want one try to get it before they correct the web site over site!
One more thing about this kind of prop! It has a half circle protruding from the front of the device! It appears to be about 1/2" thick piece of acrylic with a green light source! Does anyone in the Windsor/Detroit area know where shaped pieces of acrylic can be bought?
I actually have a few projects that need pieces of varying shapes! My hope is to find someone who will sell chunks of different sizes that I can shape into whatever I need!
Many thanks, Petseal

IAW is currently offering this item, billed as an "alien scanner" made for use in Star Trek episodic television:

5514-1er.jpg

Does anyone happen to know what series and/or episode(s) this thing was used in and what it was for?

It would be pretty easy to replicate. The base is a stud finder:

studfinder.jpg

(Thanks to Wackychimp for the image hosting)

I am repling to this one as it has pictures of both prop and stud finder!

I need a little advice/knowledge from the more electrical inclined!
I popped the battery cover off and removed the one screw from the back! Inside is the circuitry board with lot of pretty lights and things!
When pointing the stud finder at the wall there is a red "spot" light, which on the prop is green threw the clear plexi-glass!
On the prop there are three black oval "buttons" running across the body, the last one covers a hole that had a green light!
The green light obviously need to be were the red light is! And the red light is not needed at all as the hole in the body will be covered with a "button"!
Now to my question! Can the the spot in the body covered with the button be left empty, no bulb? Or does it need something to complete a circuit or something?
Thanks for any help, Petseal

Posted on by a member from another board.

n19995devicez219.jpg

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to hokie1 I was sure it was from Star Trek so I went ahead and bought a Studsensor! But now with this screen cap, and SurferGeek please pass my thanks to whoever posted it, I am POSITIVE!
After looking through the screen caps trekcore has from this episode I would recognize those hands anywhere!
Now I am really stoked about doing this prop! By the look of the prop in the pic it appears they set it up for just the green light! I don't see the red running light between his thumb and the green disc light! I think I would prefer keeping the running red lights anyway, makes it look cooler to me!
Now if someone can confirm for me that I can remove the non-essential light bulb and keep the other light in the circuit going.....
Thanks again, Petseal

As well... the crystal they are scanning is a found item. It's a simple cut glass amethyst crystal that you can find on Ebay for about $5. I was able to find lots of them at a flea market in San Diego a few years ago.

d40537thesearethevoyages172v219.jpg

It looks to be about 3 to 3 1/2 inches or about 75mm in size.

o36074ame01k219.jpg
u53500ame02n219.jpg

As well... the crystal they are scanning is a found item. It's a simple cut glass amethyst crystal that you can find on Ebay for about $5. I was able to find lots of them at a flea market in San Diego a few years ago.

It looks to be about 3 to 3 1/2 inches or about 75mm in size.

Sounds great SurferGeek!
With that information I think it would look sharp to have a crystal displayed with the finished scanner! Might even try to copy the basket it was carried in! So I went off to eBay and made several searches! Changed the wording each time, but all I kept coming up with was drinking glasses!
Any suggestions on how to word it better my chances of finding one of these crystals? I will keep trying in the mean time, but any help would be greatly appreciated!
Later, Petseal

Sounds great SurferGeek!
With that information I think it would look sharp to have a crystal displayed with the finished scanner! Might even try to copy the basket it was carried in! So I went off to eBay and made several searches! Changed the wording each time, but all I kept coming up with was drinking glasses!
Any suggestions on how to word it better my chances of finding one of these crystals? I will keep trying in the mean time, but any help would be greatly appreciated!
Later, Petseal

Amethyst + Crystal + Paperweight

It will pull up a few animal figures as well but you'll get the crystals I posted above and you'll just have to pick the correct size. Good luck.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back