JAWS the shark named Bruce.

If someone is persistent enough, it will happen. He may not sell now, but situations change. People pass on and their kids get rid of stuff without knowing the value, their financial picture goes downhill and may need money, health wise they may forget as they age, his wife may say get rid of it for the 1000th time and he may finally listen, ........ nothing stays the same.

Raise your hand if you're one of the millions of kids over the years who had his photo taken with this Bruce hanging at Universal Studios.

<raises hand>

*hand goes up*

yup. '76 or 77, I think. No teeth in it so you could stand up inside of it for pics.

I'm sure the irony of using the name from JAWS didn't escape the PIXAR development team, but the cartoons name was almost certainly derived more from the fact that an Aussie male is generally referred to as "Bruce" the world over (Like "Sheila" for a woman). Since the White in Nemo was an Aussie he also got the Aussie name....

I've not heard of this before.

Are you sure you are not mistaken about the origin of calling a guy "Bruce". I seem to recall the name Bruce being used after the movies "They Call Me Bruce" and "They Still Call me Bruce" starring Johnny Yun (the Japanese Tonight Show host in Cannonball Run).

There is a line in there when he is asked his name he says (obviously) "They call me, Bruce" (spoken in a real, tough and manly voice) then comes the reply from another person "No. It's Bruce" (spoken as if he were gay).

AFAIK that's where the origin of calling a guy Bruce has come from and it's always said in the same fashion as if the person saying it is gay.

I've not heard of this before.

Are you sure you are not mistaken about the origin of calling a guy "Bruce". I seem to recall the name Bruce being used after the movies "They Call Me Bruce" and "They Still Call me Bruce" starring Johnny Yun (the Japanese Tonight Show host in Cannonball Run).

There is a line in there when he is asked his name he says (obviously) "They call me, Bruce" (spoken in a real, tough and manly voice) then comes the reply from another person "No. It's Bruce" (spoken as if he were gay).

AFAIK that's where the origin of calling a guy Bruce has come from and it's always said in the same fashion as if the person saying it is gay.

Well here is a clip of the Python teams "Bruce" sketch from 1975 so it pre dates "They call me Bruce".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

Last edited:
PLEASE VISIT THE WEB PAGE FOR MORE INFO
sharkn.jpg

Hot glue a beard and a pair of glasses to him and you'd have grampa Bruce.

Sorry sorry I know but that 1 tooth left just made that image pop in my head...

Yes, that's a Jaws IV shark on the Universal backlot. It strarted out with a full set of teeth but over the years teeth were pulled by tourists and fans alike.

The "junkyard" Bruce is not an original screen used JAWS shark. However, it was CAST from the exact same molds as the original Bruce to be used on the JAWS ride when it first opened.

It is the only remaining link to the original shark from the original film.

Loads of info here: www.thejawsboard.com

I truly find it sad how Hollywood history finds its way in the most obscure places to rot away and the owners don't give a dam of preserving them. Look at what happened to others like TOS Star Trek shuttle etc...:cry

NPR's story about the same Shark published June 2, 2010.

NPR story

Old news NPR....

Same information about Jaws Bruce Shark mentioned here in 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010...

Maybe the member(s) who originally mentioned this information should be given writing credit.

Last edited:
Quint:"You all know me. Know how I earn a living. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycocks. This shark, swallow you whole. No shaking, no tenderizing, down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a paying basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back