IG88 Head

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(godzilla @ Feb 10 2006, 05:39 AM) [snapback]1180637[/snapback]</div>
Yeah, I think there's just a piece of red lighting gel that's sort of wallpapered to the inside of that part of the head. Heck, it could have been a scrap left over from all the stuff in the floors of the carbon freezing chamber. Looks like the same hue.
[/b]

That's what I thought too. The top probably has the red wallpapered to it, and the bottom ring is just left 'open' so it glows white. I am enjoying watching you guys put these heads together. Please don't let this thread die. IG is my favorite BH along with Fett.

The cut looks good. I have my head, but unfortunately 0 progress. However, I'm committed and do want to make a full size version...somehow.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mwells @ May 10 2006, 03:05 AM) [snapback]1241824[/snapback]</div>
Where can I get one of these I saw one in person at the Michigan prop party and want one bad email me at mwells78@cox.net
Thanks.
Mike
[/b]

It's nice to see that somebody is working on these. I have not done anything to mine at all yet, and I don't know when I will have time. Too many projects. ( mwells, I sent you an email.)

Mike

Found this thread doing a search and am bringing it back from the dead...... Unfortunately most of the pics no longer work, so if anyone would like to repost them, that'd be great. :D

Recently won myself a resin and fibreglass copy of the correct flame can and want to turn it into an IG-88 head when it arrives. Read through this thread, and others and here's the main things I've picked up:

- Coax connector type PL-259 used to fill 6 holes

IG88_VD_details.jpg

pl-259_prod.jpg

- Eyepiece from a 4x20 scope (ASI, Simmons, Tasco, ect) used to fill large hole.
4x20.jpg

This is probably the wrong kind in the pic, any better pics of what type it should be?

- Red gel coat/lense material used across the inside of top circle of head holes, white gel coat/lense material used across inside of middle circle of head holes.
IG-88.jpg

- Bottom of flame can cut off just below the large hole and reinserted deeper as neck.

- Thick black wire going from large hole at bottom of head round the back and down to the neck (or torso).
starwars_article_BHPreview3_pic2_en.jpg

OK, anything I've got wrong? What else would need to be done? What are the 2 main eyes likely to be? Some kind of doubled up scopes? Good (large) pic can be seen here: IG-88 Wallpaper

Not sure if it helps, but i have an old IG-88 image on my computer:

ig-88.jpg

I haven't seen this one before... Hope to see more great IG-88's.

EDIT: Thank you to wackychimp for hosting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Howlrunner @ Mar 22 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]1445477[/snapback]</div>
- Red gel coat/lense material used across the inside of top circle of head holes, white gel coat/lense material used across inside of middle circle of head holes.
IG-88.jpg

OK, anything I've got wrong? What else would need to be done? What are the 2 main eyes likely to be? Some kind of doubled up scopes? Good (large) pic can be seen here: IG-88 Wallpaper
[/b]

Everything you listed was pretty good except the "white gel coat/lense material used across inside of middle circle of head holes" - That's wrong. The white light you see coming out of that ring of holes is just accidental light spillage in that one area. Something inside is off kilter allowing light to shine out in that pic.

The eyes are too thick for scopes. No idea what they are and I haven't had time to work on blueprints.

The Tasco scope you posted is close. The length of the eyepiece is about right, but the taper should be closer further away from the lens end. Basically you need about 1 7/8" sticking out of IG's head. If the taper is too close to the lens end of the eyepiece too much of it will fit in the head (not enough sticking out).
The eyepiece I'm using is 2 7/16" long (1 1/4" of that is the straight section at the lens end).
When I just press fit it into IG it sticks out about 1 3/4". I figure once I put some thick double sided tape on it to hold it in it will stick out a little more and be dead on.

Thank for that. :D

Just to get this straight, 1 7/8" of the scope sticks out of IG-88's head - of this, 1 1/4" is the straight section at the lens end, and the rest is made up of the tapered section. As in the example number 3 shown below:

Scope.jpg

Correct? Or should it be more like one of the other examples?

As far as eyes go, these are the best reference pictures I can find:

IG88Eyes.jpg

Any ideas?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Howlrunner @ Mar 22 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]1445670[/snapback]</div>
Just to get this straight, 1 7/8" of the scope sticks out of IG-88's head - of this, 1 1/4" is the straight section at the lens end, and the rest is made up of the tapered section. As in the example number 3 shown below:

Scope.jpg

Correct? Or should it be more like one of the other examples?

[/b]

Correct. It's like #3. The tapered part slides in too until its tight (leaving about 3/8" of the taper exposed).
I should add that the eyepiece plugs into a flange sticking out of the side of the head so that's 1 7/8" exposed past the flange edge (which itself sticks out from the head).

I'm pretty much planning to scratch build the eyes at this point using several found parts from an electronics surplus store. I have detailed enough reference to make basic blueprints to follow for most of it. I can't share the pics, but I will share the blueprints when complete.

Here's the latest on old IG-88. :D Basically I've got it finished as far as I can at the moment. All that's needed is the eyes once I figure out how to make them.

A lot of gluing, filling, sanding, dremeling and painting have been done to get it this far:

IG88_1.jpg

IG88_3.jpg

Remember, this was cast in 2 parts, and the bottom of the top part duplicated some of the top of the bottom part - so a big ring of fibreglass had to get cut off. The bottom of the head was also cut off and reinserted to make the neck. Plus, since this in sadly not the real deal, it had to be painted from scratch to get it to look like weathered metal.

IG88_2.jpg

4x20 scope eyepiece and six PL259 co-axial connectors were added, and red lense material (a double thickness of plastic document folder cover) was hotglued inside.

IG88_4.jpg

One of the things that I had to spend the most time on was installing a bulb inside the head. Installing it was easy, but i then had to sit and paint lots of layers of paint inside the head to stop the light spilling through the thin spots in the fibreglass. And of course, this had to be done while sitting in the dark. :lol

Looks pretty cool so far though, and a HUGE improvement on how I got it.

Just need to figure out those eyes....

I too note that many of the images are missing from this thread. Are there any good resources for IG-88 reference pics? Ultimately I'm interested in the Eyes.

Ben

*Brushes dust off this thread*

Yeah I have an IG-88 noggin on the way too. :) Great reference thread!

I keep thinking the eyes look like translation stages with micrometers or adjustment screws attached. I can't find an exact match, but these are in the ballpark:

http://thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=706
http://www.creativestars.com/catpages/p2.gif

This is waaay expensive optical equipment though! I don't know why Elstree (or whoever) would have had these laying around.

Just a thought...

Question: Are the "eyes" actually his optical sensors/eyes, or is that just what we're calling them? I ask because in every pic that I can recall, the "eyes" are pointing down at an angle and off to the side, which seems odd for "eyes". Is there a reference photo somewhere that calls out these pieces as "eyes"?

I'd always thought that he just had optical sensors discretely placed on his head. Seems much scarier when (like the Xenomorps in the ALIEN movies) you don't know what he's looking at... ;)

Last edited:
According to the Visual Dictionary, the "Motion Sensor" and "targeting sight" reside elsewhere on the head, and if he can see in "all directions", then why have only 1 set of "eyes"? They could be some sort of weapon/launcher that he's tracking Vader with...

ig88vd.jpg

Is there any other LFL-licensed reference material to refute this Visual Dictionary entry?

Where's Lonepigeon when you need him??? ;)

Where's Lonepigeon when you need him??? ;)

I'd say they're eyes. As mentioned above they track Vader as he walks by. Whoever built him obviously intended them to be eyes. Since he's a droid though he can have as many 'eyes' of various types that he wants.
Those might just be his main optical sensors.

Figured I'd bump this thread instead of starting a new one. I've been working on my garrison's head and I'm about ready for paint. I coated the inside of the head with a couple layers of black then a coat of chrome paint so there aren't any light leaks. I then worked out a mounting system to support the head over the neck using an 8" funnel and some PVC as a stand. I'm leaving it all removable as eventually we're going to try for the whole droid. I'm just trying to get the head done in time for WWE in philly on the 20th.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back