Inara Props Firefly/Serenity

Wow, that much silk... I don't know that I can afford that on a student budget. It's extremely pretty and your wife makes it look fantastic! Great job! Did you order the Hen Necklace from eBay?

Wow, that much silk... I don't know that I can afford that on a student budget. It's extremely pretty and your wife makes it look fantastic! Great job! Did you order the Hen Necklace from eBay?

I honestly do not remember. It was from some Victorian-type catalog. The pattern is dead on, but it only came in onyx (black). So I spray painted it. Looked better than I expected, but I was never happy with it.

This was my wife's Inara dress from The Message.

For the bodice, I am confident to say it is 100% accurate. It is a brocade silk.
The rest was my best guess based on the few screen grabs I had (that dress is on screen only a few seconds).

The skirt portion was silk - which I hand-dyed to get the perfect color.

The entire dress should have been made from the same Chinese brocade.
There are some good screencaps online that show this.
So, the dress isn't screen accurate, but,
it really captures the vibe of the costume and your wife looks WONDERFUL in it!
You obviously put a lot of work into the creation of such a delightful design.
Sometimes not-screen accurate is cool in its own right,
as it puts a stamp of individual creativity on the maker's work.

I sold enough of the correct silk to member on here,
but I don't know if he ever finished his wife's dress.
The Message dress is one of the many amazing designs from Shawna Trpcic.

Mike

The entire dress should have been made from the same Chinese brocade.
There are some good screencaps online that show this.
---SNIP---
I am going to have to disagree with you on that.
Bodice, sleeves and attached pouch were the same brocade, but not the skirt portion.
554.jpg

inara3.jpg

The only person at DragonCon who recognized her dress was Morena Baccarin. No joke. My wife was a bit elated when Morena saw her and said, "Hey! That's my dress! Nice job!" :D

No idea how she recognized that one dress from all the previous ones she wore on screen, but it was a cool moment at DragonCon, for sure.

I am going to have to disagree with you on that.
Bodice, sleeves and attached pouch were the same brocade,
but not the skirt portion.

You may be right but, when I look at those and other pictures,
it looks to me that the skirt was made by reversing the bodice fabric.
(It is darker/bolder on one side, brighter/ less-pronounced-pattern on the other.)
Regardless, a beautiful job, no doubt.

The only person at DragonCon who recognized her dress was Morena Baccarin. No joke.
SNIP

I wore an Alliance Fed costume to a local con and did not get a single comment.
If it's not Mal, Jayne or Kaylee, most folks seem not to know Firefly.
I think Morena's acknowledgement is proof of the unawareness of the con-goers
more than anything negative about your fantastic reproduction of the dress.
And again, I think your wife looks lovely wearing it.

Mike

You may be right but, when I look at those and other pictures,
it looks to me that the skirt was made by reversing the bodice fabric.
(It is darker/bolder on one side, brighter/ less-pronounced-pattern on the other.)
Regardless, a beautiful job, no doubt.
Sorry, if my tone came across as harsh (re-reading, I was a bit matter-of-fact). Didn't mean to come of so bluntly.

In some screen grabs it does look like the same silk - mostly because there is so little light in those shots, and the color looks to be the same.

With the silk for my wife's bodice, that actually is the reverse side you are looking at. :D I found it by accident. I was at work when I ordered a sample I found online. When I got home and looked at screen grabs, I realized I was completely wrong with the color. The sample came in and I was so upset. I decided to start searching again. I threw the swatch on the couch and it landed reverse side up... it was a huge eureka moment! It was the right stuff after all! All by accident.

I appreciate the complements on the dress.

I wore an Alliance Fed costume to a local con and did not get a single comment.
If it's not Mal, Jayne or Kaylee, most folks seem not to know Firefly.
I think Morena's acknowledgement is proof of the unawareness of the con-goers
more than anything negative about your fantastic reproduction of the dress.
And again, I think your wife looks lovely wearing it.

Mike
Next time just wear a Jayne hat. HAHAHAHA... No matter the costume. (just kidding)

Yeah, we were not too upset. We loved how the dress turned out, and she had a good time wearing it. She just wants to walk around with someone dressed as Mal next time though (maybe if I drop about 30 pounds, I could pull it off -- though I don't really look like him). With a Mal costumer with her more people will realize who she is supposed to be.

We figured it was an obscure dress, and were expecting only a few people to figure it out. Just didn't think no one would know. :lol A lot of people took pictures, but would usually say "You look nice, who are you supposed to be?". I think they were thinking, "Pretty girl in a costume! I should photograph here!" Either way, she appreciated the attention. :D

Yeah, with Morena's comment and also she won best Firefly costume at a Whedon panel -- that was good enough for her.

Ha! I love that you posted this pic on my birthday! I'm looking to get the same exact dress commissioned. Do you happen to remember the name of the person that made it or where you got the fabric for the top half of her dress?

Since this thread popped back up.. and I don't think I ever even made a thread about it (a couple of years back). This was my wife's Inara dress from The Message.

Thought this would be a good place to show it off. I helped with the design and picked out all of the fabric, but I had to commission the sewing.

(Horrible picture, but the only one I can find).
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/59577_1604437877662_5484770_n.jpg

Here is a repost from FIREFLYFANS.NET:

Originally posted by Galaris:
This is for RiseWithTheMoon. A couple of years ago I was actually able to find the supplier of this material.

Tapestry - Oriental Silk Co. Chinese Import

It is the Longevity Medallion gold w/gold and the back side of the fabrics is what Shawna used. Interesting technique. I would order a yard, enough to make the corset, just to make sure it is the same stuff, and then order more if it is the right one. Also, if you make Star Wars costumes, the small dragon brocade gold w/orange matches the lining of Lando Calrissian's blue cape really well.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back