Inara Props Firefly/Serenity

I never claimed to be an authority on this prop.
Hi, out of curiosity, what made you go with birch plywood? The grain showed in the photo always reminded me of the sort of cloth moire lining you see in certificate folders:

single-certificate-folder-holder-big.gif

The original might not be just a notebook cover, but more specifically a prescription pad holder. But the moire cloth lining is not unusual for these types of covers.

I never claimed to be an authority on this prop.

Maybe not, but you're the only one who has completed this prop project.
In my prop-makers world, either approach is a good one if it suits the maker.
I ordered the smart-card etc., and I feel sure build-ability will be a primary driver in my approach.
The birch plywood looks the part and, I'd think, would provide a good means of construction.

I've always felt part of the purpose of show-off threads is to inspire and inform other builders.
Kurtyboy's Inara folder project definitely fills the bill!

Mike

I think LordArgyll is right about that cloth lining, but it is mounted to some kind of hard backing as you can tell by the thickness on the prop. I think I'll buy some of that fabric and glue it to my plywood ;)

Maybe not, but you're the only one who has completed this prop project.
In my prop-makers world, either approach is a good one if it suits the maker.
I ordered the smart-card etc., and I feel sure build-ability will be a primary driver in my approach.
The birch plywood looks the part and, I'd think, would provide a good means of construction.

I've always felt part of the purpose of show-off threads is to inspire and inform other builders.
Kurtyboy's Inara folder project definitely fills the bill!

Mike

Last edited:
Well my PCMCIA adapter showed up yesterday, and they sent me one of the new style (that looks nothing like the one used on this prop), not the one they had a piture of in their auction, and when I asked them about it, they gave me a song, and dance. So now I'm out $12. and still on the hunt for something close to the screen used one.

There should be quite a few on ebay look for a second hand used one.

Well my PCMCIA adapter showed up yesterday, and they sent me one of the new style (that looks nothing like the one used on this prop), not the one they had a piture of in their auction, and when I asked them about it, they gave me a song, and dance. So now I'm out $12. and still on the hunt for something close to the screen used one.

Pennausamike,

I'm a little late on this one, but I saw your picture at the beginning of the post. I'm a tad curious where you got the Companion Papers (the contract and the Waiver Slip) from Madrassa House. I won a set at a Can't Stop the Serenity showing in Denver a few years back. My set's resolution is a little low and your's look crisper than mine. Could you put a scan up of them?

Thank you

Pennausamike,

I'm a little late on this one, but I saw your picture at the beginning of the post. I'm a tad curious where you got the Companion Papers (the contract and the Waiver Slip) from Madrassa House. I won a set at a Can't Stop the Serenity showing in Denver a few years back. My set's resolution is a little low and your's look crisper than mine. Could you put a scan up of them?

Thank you

I created the original, I'll have to go digging for that.
I made them as a MS WORD 2000 document.
I don't think I ever really made them available, beyond a few requests, before
(not that I wouldn't or mind if someone has)
so I'm not sure how nice an example I still have in my files.
I'll PM when I find it (could be awhile 'til I get to it) for an email address to send the WORD doc.

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

Thank you so much! Look forward to getting the PM. I can post a scan for comparison, if you'd like. I'm starting a Tall Card Deck and a few other projects this summer. I wanted to find something nice, if not screen accurate for the Papers Set I won. I was dressed as a companion that year, too. Fancy that!

Yeah, I would like a couple too. I have most of what I will need for this prop now, I just have to put it all together. I am not looking forward to working with the leather (well mines vinyl, but still not looking forward to it.)

I don't have the right holder, per se. In a few days or so, I can put up some scans of the documents that I won (finals week is kicking my little Asian butt). Any ideas for a tri-fold display that would show off something like what Mike has listed at the start of the thread? It looks rather like an old land claim document where the title of the document is in the middle of the back part of the page, like a tri-fold pamphlet. I'm good with leatherworking, so a pattern for a scratch make is an option, too.

I found a leather journal that matches about 85%. Just minor changes and it is almost perfect. I made one a couple years ago and it turned out great. Just got five of them and will be converting them into Inara books over the next couple weeks.

I will post pics next weekend, I am out of state and will return home Friday.

The journal is a C.R. Gibson, Markings Journal, MG4A-1

thomas;)

To all who have requested info, I haven't for-gotten,
just not gotten to it.

Mike
My Firefly Collection Collection:

Okie-Dokie, I found my files.
Here are JPEGs of the Inara papers I made.
They are all EU (extended universe).

companioncontract01.png

I printed these first two on green marbled paper:

companioncontract01JPEG.jpg

companioncontract02.jpg

I printed these on heavy bright white paper:

companioncontract02a.png

InaraPapers01a.jpg

These two I printed on light tan card stock:

InaraPapers01b.jpg

I still haven't made any meaningful progress on my Inara display.

InaraDisplayJPEG.jpg

Just a collection of brick-a-brack at this point.
But, this acquisition,
one of Shawna Trpcic's original costume sketches,

strpcic002JPEG.jpg

should be a motivator, once I get ahead of real-life responsibilities.
("Sketch" seems like such a minimizing term for such a delicate and intricate piece of art. )

Mike

Oh, I have a question BTW, regarding the money (I think you also posted a pic of wads of them in the movie forum we were talking about ?).

IIRC, as I've only seen the series once so far, are any notes actually seen ? I remember a scene where they are looking into a safe from 'behind', and money is seen. Are those where the notes are from / seen / replicated ?

Oh, I have a question BTW, regarding the money (I think you also posted a pic of wads of them in the movie forum we were talking about ?).

IIRC, as I've only seen the series once so far, are any notes actually seen ? I remember a scene where they are looking into a safe from 'behind', and money is seen. Are those where the notes are from / seen / replicated ?

The Firefly money,
(which is different from the BDM Serenity money)
is seen many times through out the series.
I can't remember nearly all (hardly any, in fact)
but I'm sure it was seen in The Train Job and pretty sure it is seen in the beginning of Shindig.

I have an awful lot of info about the Firefly/Serenity 'verse at my collection thread
with info about the books and such towards pages 5 and 6.
The Companion volumes are the next most "necessary" things to own after the DVD's.

Mike

:eek :eek

I'm going to comb that thread ..... slowly :eek

Thanks for linking that !

Speaking of Inara props, one thing that literally screamed out at me to have, within a VERY short time of the start of the first episode, was Inara's bracelet.

This one :

serenity298.jpg

Is flipping gorgeous ! Imagine having one of these on a mannequin hand on display !

Did anyone ever replicate this you think Mike ? I've looked 'into' it already but found nothing even remotely close to this (searched 'slave / harem / handflower bracelets etc - zip :()

:eek :eek

I'm going to comb that thread ..... slowly :eek

Thanks for linking that !

Speaking of Inara props, one thing that literally screamed out at me to have, within a VERY short time of the start of the first episode, was Inara's bracelet.

This one :

serenity298.jpg

Is flipping gorgeous ! Imagine having one of these on a mannequin hand on display !

Did anyone ever replicate this you think Mike ? I've looked 'into' it already but found nothing even remotely close to this (searched 'slave / harem / handflower bracelets etc - zip :()

Yes, the fine folks at Browncoats Fashions made one.
jeweled_belt.jpg

Their website (at the Inara page) is here:

BrowncoatFashions.com SCRAPBOOK

I believe that the money from the series appears first in Train Job.

trainjob015.jpg

Then again in Shindig.

shindig014.jpg

It's also in the money bag in Safe, but I don't have a good screen cap of that.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back