Inara Props Firefly/Serenity

OK, it took me four years to complete but here it is! Thanks to F-N-S for his graphics and to the original creator of the certificate sheet.

inara5.jpg

inara4-1.jpg

inara6.jpg

inara7.jpg

Don't be. So easy to make the folder you wouldn't believe. All you need is:

Stiff card
Self adhesive vinyl leatherette (or real leather and a suitable glue)
Birch plywood 0.8mm thick
Epoxy glue

The entire frame is made from just four pieces of card cut into shape: Front cover, back cover, spine and pocket.

Jealous. I'm nuthin' but jealous.

Don't be. So easy to make the folder you wouldn't believe. All you need is:

Stiff card
Self adhesive vinyl leatherette (or real leather and a suitable glue)
Birch plywood 0.8mm thick
Epoxy glue

The entire frame is made from just four pieces of card cut into shape: Front cover, back cover, spine and pocket.

Wasn't the metal thing on the front a sandisk camera memory card? or sumpthin'?

Also, any stitching necessary? Or is it all fold-and-glue?
Number of leather pieces?
Dimensions?

Super job, no doubt!

Mike

Read the whole thread and you'll find most of the answers.

I used two pieces of leatherette vinyl for the cover, one for the side pocket and one for the pencil pocket. I have no idea if that's the same as the original but you can use as many as you want since there are visible seams showing. I don't think there is any stitching and I can't stich leather/card so I didn't bother. As I already said I used self adhesive vinyl but you can use real leather and glue if you want it to be more fancy.

Wasn't the metal thing on the front a sandisk camera memory card? or sumpthin'?

Also, any stitching necessary? Or is it all fold-and-glue?
Number of leather pieces?
Dimensions?

Super job, no doubt!

Mike

Read the whole thread and you'll find most of the answers.

SNIP.

I read back through and saw the specs for the data card,
but I was still curious what you settled on for your overall dimensions.
Thanks for the construction info.

I have to admit, tho', that the data card and holder
will probably be the straw that breaks my project constructing's back.
I'm trying to wrap some projects up, and hunting down obsolete electronic storage devices isn't too alluring at this point.

If I stumble into any, I'm sure I'll be turning to your excellent build for direction.

Mike

Isn't there a picture back in the thread with some dimensions? We know that the CDs are 8cm so you can easily scale the rest from that.

Those PCMCIA adapters aren't that rare. I found one on ebay a few days ago for another member within 5-10 minutes.

I read back through and saw the specs for the data card,
but I was still curious what you settled on for your overall dimensions.
Thanks for the construction info.

I have to admit, tho', that the data card and holder
will probably be the straw that breaks my project constructing's back.
I'm trying to wrap some projects up, and hunting down obsolete electronic storage devices isn't too alluring at this point.

If I stumble into any, I'm sure I'll be turning to your excellent build for direction.

Mike

Isn't there a picture back in the thread with some dimensions? We know that the CDs are 8cm so you can easily scale the rest from that.

Sure, I can scale it.

Those PCMCIA adapters aren't that rare. I found one on ebay a few days ago for another member within 5-10 minutes.

That's cool to know.
I went to one of the linked sites and they said the smart media card:
Digital Camera Memory Guide - PhotographyREVIEW.com
was obsolete, so I interpreted that as "hard to find".

Mike

I went with 142mm x 220mm for the front and back covers and 35mm x 220mm for the spine. But don't use those without double checking yourself. Perspective throws the scaling off a bit and I may have made my folder too narrow.

I looked all over ebay for months for an accurate PCMCIA, I found one that would work , but had held out for moths longer, for something better. Kurtyboy pointed me to an accurate one, a couple weeks ago, but they didn't ship to the US, so I went a head, and ordered the other one I found. So, if you found an accurate one, in seconds, then consider yourself lucky.

As for the Smart media card, why pay $20. or more, for a new, working one, just to glue on a prop. Find someone that sells used ones, or repairs them, and tell them that you just need one that looks good on the outside, but doesn't working any more at all, and you can get one for next to nothing.

Take your pick. There are literally hundreds more currently on ebay.us alone.
Also did an ebay search for the PCMCIA adapter and saw at least five within 10 seconds.

I went with 142mm x 220mm for the front and back covers and 35mm x 220mm for the spine.
But don't use those without double checking yourself.
Perspective throws the scaling off a bit and I may have made my folder too narrow.

Heyo Marcus, thanks for all the fantastic info.
Hmmmmm, maybe I'll have to bump this project back onto my more serious "to-do" list.

Thanks Again for the info on this inspirational build!
Mike

In case anyone wondered, the wood panels are birch plywood which is available in thicknesses of 0.4mm and upwards. I went for 0.8mm.

Hi, out of curiosity, what made you go with birch plywood? The grain showed in the photo always reminded me of the sort of cloth moire lining you see in certificate folders:

single-certificate-folder-holder-big.gif

The original might not be just a notebook cover, but more specifically a prescription pad holder. But the moire cloth lining is not unusual for these types of covers.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back