Darth Maul dark eye probe droid

Gman666

I have searched the web over but cannot find any info on building a dark eye probe droid. I could have sworn there was one. I have seen several that have taken the toy and modified it but they only show pics no detail. I have one of the toys in the mail and want to make a replica. Anybody have any ideas? I know that the toy is not 1:1 but it is my only starting point.

Sith-probe-droid_negtd.jpg

Thanks!

Greg

I converted the Habro toy Dark Eye droid last year. It's still undersize, but it looks MUCH closer to the real one than the toy does. Here's the entry from my blog - hope it's of some help to you:

SithDroid.jpg

This started life as the Electronic Sith Droid Attack Game (which tracks you using IR and fires foam disks in your direction), as can be seen in the above picture (unaltered). Obviously, for playability sake and to accommodate the disk-firing action, some artistic liberties were taken.
So the main jobs were to reposition some of the wire connection points, sculpt in pieces that are missing (front and back 'flap' corners), add a domed lense to the front and top left camera, and fill every gap that shouldn't be there (this took AGES..... and I must admit - it's not the most invisible filling work in the world):
SithDroid2.jpg

After this work was finally completed (much Milliput-ing, Dremeling and sanding), the whole thing was sprayed black, the lenses were painted high gloss black, detail pieces painted aluminium, and new, accurate wiring added:
SithDroid3.jpg

Oh yes, and the original black plastic pole and base it sat on was replaced with a slimmer, shiny aluminium pole and base. At some point (if I can figure out how to make one) I will replace the antennae with one that is twice the length to make it more accurate.
DSCF2977.jpg

Ready to hunt some Jedi!

What did you use for lens? I have access to cheap binoculars. I was going to use them for this project and the Maul electrobinocular toy. I must say your modifications rock.

Thanks!

Greg

All right I have a couple coming in the mail. I will post a step by step process. I love your mod! You said this is your blog? Does it have step by step instructions.

Thanks!

Greg

All right I have a couple coming in the mail. I will post a step by step process. I love your mod! You said this is your blog? Does it have step by step instructions.

Thanks!

Greg

I'm afraid not, what I posted is all I wrote up and photographed. It's pretty much just all filling gaps with Milliput and sanding though. That and moving some of the wire connection points and building up/sculpting the rest of the front and back "sheilding".

This is a go. Just got e-mail that the seller is boxing them up and sending them out. I got 2 in box for 35.00 shipped. I do not think that is bad considering they were released in 1999. I also got the Maul electro binoculars in the mail yesterday. I will put up a post on this later. I do not know if I am going to mod it or use it as a reference, sculpt, and cast a more to size prop. I will be offering these when completed. I am really looking forward to getting the probe droids in. I will keep you updated.

Thanks!

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
What ever came over this? I have one of the games myself. I couldn't bring myself to mod it out, but I did have an old, non functioning FX saber laying around, so I took the blade off, and the clear plastic part of the blade, is a perfect fight to replace the black tube that holds up droid. :) (A 1" acrylic or poly tube, or rode would work too.) The tube is a little shiny in the light, but I have it in front of a window, and when the lights in the room are off, and it's back lit bay the window, it looks like it's really floating there. :)

I was gonna do this mod on mine but my house got broke into and it got smashed to bits.

Crud ! When did that happen ?! I do remember someone posting about a break-in and his collection smashed to bits, was that you ? At the moment one of my greatest fears, since there was a break-in near my parents house just four weeks ago.

OOPS, don´t want to derail the thread !

Michael

OMG, I am so sorry to hear that. That is just awful. I don't know what I would do if that happened to me. (and it could, because i have a huge collections, and I live in a bad neighborhood, that gets worse every day. :( )

To get back to the project at hand. I haven't looked for one yet, but as I was just looking at the pic above, of the actual prop, it accurse to me that we mite want to looking a paint brush handles for a longer antenna. Some of the art paintbrushes have a very long, stretched conical, design like the antenna on the prop, and most of them are made of either plastic, or wood, so it would be easy to fine toon the shape with tome sand paper, and they should take paint well. :) Or, if you could still find one, one of those old, long, black, cigaret holders (like the penguin from batman used to use.) might work. :)

I am looking for the base stand for one of these (just the 5 spoke stand). If anyone has one for sale, let me know.

Any progress on this build? Sideshow has their 1/6 scale Dark Eye probes. They seem pretty accurate and would just need to bu up-sized.

Thoughts?

If there was progress it wouldn`t have taken 7 years to update dang RPF needs to do some ancient thread clean up!! even the pics are long gone........

I have one of the toys, as far as a starting base it's not bad. I has planned on using mine as a room security but my three year old started playing with it. Who am I to deny him his Jedi path!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416504690.815312.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if there are other threads... I was looking at this and am trying to figure out it's size. How big is the toy? I'd thought the CG one's body would've been about softball size, but looking at the scenes where it's occluded by Darth Maul's head and another humanoid head, I'm thinking it's more like head sized. Wookiepedia says 0.3m, but doesn't cite a source for that, nor which part is being measured - but that's a little bigger than head sized, so inline with my guess.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back