My salzo X-Wing

Great job and detail propcollector.

Is it okay if I ask a question in this post?

What is the definitive Red 5 paint job? I always see it as you have painted it, with the yellow panelling on the front chassis. That is also how its shown in every format from reference pics to toys and other media. Yet I noticed in New Hope, its appearence is different with just a regular paint job. What's that about :confused I'm confused :cry Please put me out of my misery...

Thank you and take care

Last edited:
Here's the clearest frame that I could find of the original red 5 from the film and an image of the model on it's own. It's clear that the yellow strip is there when you see the model out of context - could it be that the compositing process is desaturating the yellow to the point that it blends in with the rest of the ship?

Thank you so much for your reply and images stonky.

As to the compositing process, I did consider that too, but I am pretty sure it hasn’t bleached it out. The best culprit is this:-

fe10d453eb.jpg

The first approach (non special edition) when we first see them flying towards camera. Red 5 is right at the front. It seems to corroborate with your screen cap.

I wonder if it's possible that the production pic may have been pre filming, and for some reason they decided to drop the yellow? Or was it added after?

ndvd014bj1.jpg
ndvd011ty1.png

Looks like a faint yellowish/rust wash but not a solid yellow panel, the studio model never had a solid yellow panel on its nose. The studio lights may have washed it out.

red5a2vf4.jpg

By Jove DARKSIDE72, I think that’s it. Where did you dig up that ultra cool fossil.

Thank you guys so very much for your help on this. It is truly appreciated and some day I hope I can show you the result :)

Sorry to propcollector if I strayed from your thread. We now return you to your normal programing.

Thank you ;)

As to the compositing process, I did consider that too, but I am pretty sure it hasn’t bleached it out.

It was due to the compositing process. The Dykstraflex camera was originally intended to supercede the blue screen process by shooting separate beauty and matte passes, but the mechanism had too much slop in it, and single-pass blue screen shots had to be used instead. To reduce the effects of blue spill and create cleaner mattes, the compositors replaced most of the blue record with the green record. Because yellow is dark in the blue record and light in the green record, the yellow became a washed-out, slightly pinkish grey. You can see a similar effect with the Y-wings' yellow markings.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back