luke/vader ANH stunt saber....pics and info needed

saberMaN

about to embark on the journey to make the Luke/Vader ANH stunt saber with rotating scotchlight blade and all i will be making one with a panted black top (for vader) and an unpainted one (for luke)

so here are my questions

1. were the blades flat? if so how many sides

2.can someone please post some pics for refrence as i only have 2 ( there was one floating around there with prowse holding the luke ANH and ben ANH stunts)

3. and any other advice or comments

may the force be with you

saberman

I'd like to do a working Luke stunt saber one day myself :) For a long time it's been thought that the stunt blades were either square or triangular in cross-section. Everything I've seen from the new "Making of Star Wars" book and the documentaries on the DVD from the box set seem to show that they were round with a black stripe along one side to break up the reflection and give them that wonderful pulsating look that they, unfortunately, never had again.

Good luck!

Dave C

well the problem now is the motor. Does anyone have any ideas??? :confused
i was thinking some sort of hobby motor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepigeon
They had square dowel for blades.

Two sides covered in Scotchlite. Two plain.

ya they seem to be round in the pics
Five-post dude:
If LP says it, it's the same as if it came from the Burning Bush:
"Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them."

Word, pal. Trust me, I'm one of the nice guys. And welcome to the RPF. There's no better place.

thanks Probe Droid i appreciate it

well a drill motor might work. Im also going to look at those little hobby motors but im looking towards the drill motor.

Apologies, dude. Reread my post, and I sounded like a maniac.

"Here's one for ya.
poolcuekb0.jpg

Gotta say. The blade looks round.:lol:lol:lol

ya it does look round. but when i was at the hardware store i picked up a square dowel and snaped a quick pic with my gilfriends camera and it acually looks pretty round in the pic. :confused .... So your right. Your eyes can mislead you.

I did a lot of research on the blade to figure out exactly how many sides the original blades had. From several different old interviews (all 1977) from SW production people I was able to determine it was 4.

A square rod blade even just slightly out of focus will look round even in pictures that are pretty close up.

well i bought the square dowels which will be sanded to shape. Now on tho the motor

i found this interesting site that has screenshots and i found this pic

http://tiedostot.pilvikaupunki.net/ANH1080p/luke_0134.png

If you look closely you can see 2 wires with what apprears to be 2 red connectors. ive opted to go with the more movie accurate version and will have an external power source can anyone id what the 2 red things are?

also does anyone know if the older style graflex push buttons are still around?

I always thought those were just red batteries with white tape around them, or batteries with red and white tape around them.

well i bought the square dowels which will be sanded to shape. Now on tho the motor

i found this interesting site that has screenshots and i found this pic

http://tiedostot.pilvikaupunki.net/ANH1080p/luke_0134.png

If you look closely you can see 2 wires with what apprears to be 2 red connectors. ive opted to go with the more movie accurate version and will have an external power source can anyone id what the 2 red things are?

also does anyone know if the older style graflex push buttons are still around?

well i attempted to use a motor from an old dremel i had using one of the square dowels and it was toooooo fast even at the lowest setting so thats out of the question. But i did try it on a hand drill with my finger half way on the trigger and it gave me perfect results. I felt like luke:). but i dont know were to get a drill that goes that slow. So please chime in with any advice you may have.

the quest goes on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps a cheap rechargable screwdriver? Slower speed, I would have thought - and you may find one that is straight (rather than having a pistol grip).
Kinda like this:
284051126716444.jpg

If you can find one that's very narrow, you might even fit it in the hilt as-is.

C.

Do we know, how the square dowel is fittet and secured to the saber-housing? Is there a pic showing the "guts"? Was a real Graflex with bent down ears or plain tubing used for the Luke/ Vader stunt sabers?

Markus

Its pretty clear that its not a real Graflex but I don't think any photos exist that show the 'guts' well enough or how the blade is attached.

I tried to add a spinning blade to my ANH Luke stunt once and it was a disaster! The square blade kept hitting against the 'blade retaining ring' (as its called in the VD) of the saber and would keep slowing down/stopping.

I thought it might work if there was some kind of ballbaring ring between the blade and opening of the saber but that's getting to techincal for me :wacko

Do we know, how the square dowel is fittet and secured to the saber-housing? Is there a pic showing the "guts"? Was a real Graflex with bent down ears or plain tubing used for the Luke/ Vader stunt sabers?

Markus

thats what ive been using is a ballbaring ring which has a 5/8 id so when i put my 5/8 dowel in there its not going anywhere. but how to get the blade to stay on the motor im still working on. im also still looking for the right motor

i dont know if anyone caught this but in the ultamate visual guide if you look in the behind the scenes section in the back it shows a pic of vaders repanted luke stunt with a square thing were the shroud should be

anyone know wut that is?..

The famous first ignition of lukes saber in bens hut, the graflex has NO EARS, the control box is in a very odd possistion also.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back