zenix's Solo Coaxium Hyperfuel build thread

zenix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everyone!

I am close to finished these and wanted to get a proper build thread up to share with you all. I really want to make this prop as nice as possible so I'm doing just that. The goal is to have an all metal and glass and it will light up, with the vial removable.

View attachment 850204View attachment 850203View attachment 850202View attachment 850201

The glass vial it self is a laser engraved crystal. I created the 3D shape in the computer and used a 3D laser engraver to focus energy inside the part and basically microshatter the glass in three dimensions

View attachment 850205

The end caps went through a few iterations. I 3D printed them at first just to test the fit of the crystal and the LED.
endcaps.pngplastic prototype endcaos.jpg

The next step was to machine the aluminum end caps. I did this by hand on the metal lathe from round stock aluminum.

prototype light off.jpg

The LED light fits in the end. I'll be covering the front end with a machined brass disc as they did in the film. The back end will have the LED module exposed so you can turn it on and off.

The next step is to machine all of the parts needed to build the casing. I'm 3D printing the first one just to test fit and have something to hold.

cas.pngIMG_20181022_143512.jpgIMG_20181022_162134.jpg

Testing the fit
IMG_20181022_162525.jpgIMG_20181022_162513.jpgIMG_20181022_162509.jpgIMG_20181022_162415.jpg

Pretty cool! making the canister in metal is the next part.

Last edited by a moderator:
First part for the canister. It's aluminum, turned on the lathe and then milled to add the slots and window cutouts. The brass fins will be milled next, and pinned in place. Then I'll make the collar and install the screen in the window between the casing and collar.

mmexport1543409369253.jpg

Out standing work as always zenix. Blown away that it’s real metal, thought it was going to be 3d printed

Wicked!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back