My Scratch Built Miniature Back to the Future Hoverboard Set

IxMAGICx1

I've always wanted a miniature set of hoverboards from Back to the Future. I thought I'd take a crack at making them from scratch. Searching the internet for as much info as I could find as well as using pictures I've taken myself over the years as reference. It's amazing how many variations of all of these boards there are. Even the differences between all of the screen used boards is insane.

Here's a screen shot of my 3D design program showing my work at the time
boards5.jpg

Unfortunately because of the size, some details aren't going to be able to be 3D printed. For example, the details in the jets of the pitbull are going to be lost so I just went with the basic shape for the most part. Also because of the size, after designing the discs and battery box on the bottom side of the hoverboards and doing a test print it became clear that as much as I didn't want to, I had no choice but to use decals instead of 3D printed parts for the bottom. They were just too small to print nice enough.
boards6.jpg

Here's the set all designed and 3D printed. The Pitbull is 4.5" the rest of them are just a little smaller to keep it all scale.
boards1.jpg

a few shots of the progress
boards2.jpg

My time between the Fusion 3D and Photoshop has been pretty equal. Lots and lots of designing.

boards4.jpg

boards3.jpg

and just for fun, I designed a Nike MAG inspired board as well. I posted it in another thread but I'm posting it here too.
boards7.jpgboards8.jpg

Here's a rendering I did of the Nike Board
boards9.jpg

I'll post updates as I get them created

Attachments

• boards7.jpg
    boards7.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Thanks man! That was actually what triggered this whole thing. I wanted a mini Pitbull. The jets are currently glued and drying. I'll post a picture as soon as it's done. Now I'm looking for what I can use as the heat sheild that goes over the jets

I wonder if you can pilfer anything from train sets or doll houses/accessories?

I wonder if you can pilfer anything from train sets or doll houses/accessories?

That's a great idea! I was also thinking the screen used on a screen door would be perfect. but I only need about 2 inches of it.

Here it is with the jets installed.

hb1.jpghb2.jpghb3.jpg

I might add a layer of clear coat but I'm not 100% sure about that yet. I just need to add the heat shields and this one is done!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back