Help with molding & casting some shins.

funkster

Hi all.

I’m trying to recreate the shin guards from Deadpool 2

70f8663e2baddf30b82c41428b538597.jpg

I’ve made some foam masters, did a brush on mold, presses clay into it, resculpted them and then cast them in resin to smooth/finish.

540ab165c7816ca3aeab0cb11b9ab1dc.jpg

I now need to mold them and cast them in rigid foam.

I tired using another brush on mold and then some polyurethane foam, but couldn’t get the foam to create a consistent thickness as it just pooled in the bottom of the mold.

Anyone got any tips/tricks or ideally a video to guide me

Cheers

In order to make a proper foam / rubber casting, you typically do one of two things.

1: You dont pour the foam into the mold until it turns think and dark like coffee.. Itll look foamy, then go thin and dark., until it goes thin and dark, it wont skin.

2: You brush in a rubber before hand. I use a 30 hardness brush in rubber, and then pour my foam over it. I use alumilite 30 / for nerf, and 60 or 90 for hard rubber (my han solo casts). Once you brush it in and it stops flowing, our the foam in and itll bod and heat up.

For the foam not bubbling. typically they add water to resin and the steam released during the heating process causes it to become foam. If you arent getting heat, you don't get foam. Its also better if you mix foam with a mixer, and not a stick.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back