Dave Chapelle – Wrap It Up Box – ID help needed, Reward Offered

sjanish

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Wrap It Up Box was the first Chapelle skit I ever saw, and I LMAO.

For years I have wanted to make one. I have seen several online, but none make any attempt at accuracy. After years of searching I have identified the red button.

The only physical part left I need to start the build is the speaker. I’ve been looking for it for as long as the button. Does anyone recognize it? It was probably pulled out of a cheap radio but it could be an expensive piece of junk. I estimate it to be about 4 inches in diameter.

I will offer a reward for the ID of the speaker. If you know where the speaker comes from PM me the information and if I can confirm it I will give you a red button for your own box. If I get multiple correct IDs the first one to hit my inbox wins the button. Any others will be the first to get the button ID. Before anyone accuses me of hoarding information I will eventually release the ID of the button.

Also, does anybody know where I can get the Wrap It Up music without the show soundtrack over it? Hopefully it is commercially available.

Thanks.

jy-U3kuwNdv0IDuFT0Psz0ex-Aft14UwHFjDcwiN1W9ZPc5vnpRhx4z0HvxAA?width=800&height=555&cropmode=none.jpg

EIlfb6Qy1A4HuT_rZWn6bDLX9LVbsKRXdXKi_A_EfRxzj5IiBEkev0eMUxVow?width=800&height=575&cropmode=none.jpg

Last edited:
:lol. CLASSIC Chapelle skit! :lol

Was wondering if any one would tackle this, good luck on your search

Well, I will be looking for this, but speakers are not my strong point. If I run into Dave I will ask him who his propmaster was.

Here is a speaker I found that looks right. They are labeled as speakers for a Kenworth truck. Sadly they are about 1.5 inches too big in diameter. :(

AVbtk4fvJk3i0B4A9iLdCuQROddcCKNpYpvN--fKCvhkQDIeBc2rKXi8hCuFw?width=400&height=319&cropmode=none.jpg

I have ordered a set of these. They are sort of similar, just about the right size and cheap. They will make for a good place holder until I hopefully find the right speaker.

2XOn1nmyg8uG5bLcVKyWYF-Xwk2j0DPTx4Cv81yili-bKIhvcngCoz1defKaA?width=400&height=400&cropmode=none.jpg

You may have better luck if you search for "speaker covers". The speakers and the covers could be separate items and only the covers provide the specific visual appearance you are trying to reproduce. Also if you can find the original manufacturer of the Kenworth truck speakers you could check to see if that manufacturer also makes that style in other sizes.

The second set of speaker in your pic seems the ones that could be transformed: use the black fabric to cover the rim, re-use the same screws and voilà! If it was done by a prop maker, he/she could've transform it into the same fashion. Good luck!

You may have better luck if you search for "speaker covers".

Yeah, I have searched for several different terms: covers, grills, mesh, fabric, etc. Covers is what turned up the two I posted. I was never a big stereo/quality of sound guy. I would be happy to hear specific search terms that may help narrow things down.

The second set of speaker in your pic seems the ones that could be transformed: use the black fabric to cover the rim, re-use the same screws and voilà! If it was done by a prop maker, he/she could've transform it into the same fashion. Good luck!

I had this thought as well. I plan to try it out on one of the rings when I get them but I doubt that is what they did for the show. If you look closely at the prop you will notice many imperfections. Like so many other screen used props I think it was made quickly, probably on a tight schedule, in order to get the skit made. I bet they didn't do much more than pull a speaker from a junk pile or old boom box and plant it onto the prop.

That lill' project should take you 30 min. tops;) Take the fabric of an old speaker, some glue and...done!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back