Zorg 2-1B Droid Build

TatooineMachine

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have always been a fan of Chris's sculpts or Zorg as we know him. His 2-1B was offered quite awhile back and I always regretted not picking one up. When Chris offered the 2-1B and CZ-3, I had to get them both! His parts are basically perfect and require little prep, unless you drop it as I did and have to repair it! Here's my build!

Right out of the box from Scotland

IMG_6738_zpsbw2gvglu.jpg

IMG_6737_zps2n5th1bh.jpg

The only prep required - trim the mold joint & a little sanding at the Alice band

IMG_6742_zpsua9b3x6j.jpg

IMG_6739_zpsaqfpl9kk.jpg

Finished this step

IMG_6750_zpsy7ae2klc.jpg

IMG_6753_zpsycazkat9.jpg

Made recess for the aluminum Alice band

IMG_6751_zpsm43oczsy.jpg

Drilled out the eye holes for the supplied LEDs

IMG_6752_zpsjovctlzb.jpg

I love that Chris cast ZORG in the back of the head

IMG_6741_zpsx4jdpgq5.jpg

Vintage Shure 55SH microphone

IMG_6862_zpsbinxtbmw.jpg

IMG_6863_zps2ocism30.jpg

IMG_6864_zps3mpycncu.jpg

Cut off the cast Shure

IMG_6865_zps20urhize.jpg

Fitted to the bridge of the nose

IMG_6879_zpswow0knvq.jpg

The Shure is electroplated with 2 layers of coating so trimming it was easy, but then you have to sand off the coating of the complete microphone if you want it to all have the same finish. If you don't then the copper and iridium finish are missing at the bracket area and it looks bad

IMG_6881_zpsqalfqwgi.jpg

After shaping and the ridiculous sanding efforts to remove the plating. I picked up a vintage aluminum PL-259 connector for the hose and found a knurled thumb screw on eBay that I had to cut down and shape the rounded end

IMG_6884_zpsag707r7j.jpg

IMG_6885_zpsgkx5fx2m.jpg

IMG_6887_zps0nr0ujdt.jpg

IMG_6888_zpsdp8fybtc.jpg

I milled the back lip so the Shure will sit nice and flush on the mouth

IMG_6889_zpsqjfjw7gc.jpg

Made a styrene back for inside the Shure to hold the inner details

IMG_6890_zpsnjqeaxww.jpg

IMG_6891_zpskk65ydwm.jpg

Not bad for a few hours of work!

Glad you posted this - I've got one of Chris's 2-1Bs coming as well, so this is a great primer on putting it all together. Thanks - keep up the progress reports!

Dan

Woah!! A real Sure mic! Can't decide if I should be happy or sad to see that. Nice piece!!

Nice, thanks for posting this. On the mic, did you repaint it after sanding it down? The bottom looks way too smooth after the band saw.

Nice, thanks for posting this. On the mic, did you repaint it after sanding it down? The bottom looks way too smooth after the band saw.

No, in fact I stripped all the finish off of the mic. It’s just good old aluminum. The casting on these old mics is very smooth and I just made the end I cut off the bracket to match the rest of the mic.

Hey i recognise that head!

Thanks for posting this, it will save me the bother telling folk ;)

Making good progress, good luck with the rest but i dont think you need it.

Im pretty sure ive seen the real droid mic with the missing plating where they cut off the bracket, just an observation.

Z

Last edited:
Nice to see someone else using a real mic. I haven't started mine yet. Too busy and a little scared to cut into that perfect casting.
I'm interested to see how you'll attach it.

OK, back from Italy for 3.5 weeks and getting back in the groove of things. Had some time this morning so I thought I'd get back to 2-1B!

I have made a styrene panel for the mic internals, so I mounted it up at top with the Shure screws and the bottom had to spaced so it's level, then I caulked it with black so no light would show through from the eyes. I also added a part from a Kalimar 660 and used some stainless steel mesh to add some more detail - not screen accurate, but I like it!

IMG_8840_zpsejx5ndg6.jpg

IMG_8842_zpsfvtvhmng.jpg

IMG_8841_zpsezoon111.jpg

IMG_8846_zps0ibuf4p7.jpg

IMG_8848_zps1j0leawo.jpg

IMG_8847_zpsdlumftci.jpg

Next some 5 minute epoxy at the chin and next to the bridge of the nose and done!

IMG_8849_zpsdg3kjlpo.jpg

Caulked it in with black to hold it better and keep light from shining through

IMG_8850_zpslzqwm5sw.jpg

Next I'll do the dark wash and work on attaching the neck section!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back