lost in space laser rifle

mlewy

I am trying to make a lost in space second season laser rifle.
I dont need it to be an exact replica.
I started and my question is do think I made the handle too big.

image1.jpeg
Z
Lost-In-Space-2nd-3rd-Season-Laser-Rifle-1.jpg

Hard to tell. The rear stock as designed always looked a bit oversized and out of proportion to the rest of the rifle, IMO. But it looks like you have a very nice replica and I wouldn't sweat the details!

Yea, your work in progress shot looked like it needed some more taken off in some spots, but your finished product looks like it's got all the same scale parts as the original. Good job man, I dig it.

I gotcha.

I'd move the grip back, take that chunk out of the interior cut out that you have marked on the stock, and make the bottom of the stock shorter from front to back, but leave the part hooked to the dowel the same length. You'll just need to cut it at a more severe angle. You've got a good start and are on your way to a nice prop.

I was worried if I take that extra chunk out of the stock the wood will be unstable.

Any ideas for creating the plexus tip.

The original looks like it's a pretty spindly prop to begin with, all things considered. You'll probably want to treat it with kid gloves no matter what, so that extra chunk being taken out shouldn't hurt it.

For that tip, I think you are probably best off casting it in a clear resin, unless you know a vacuum forming expert. casting a smaller simple shaped part like that isn't all that expensive or difficult. You'd end up making an original out of wood, or on a 3D printer, or just out of different shaped things you'd glue together, make a latex mold of that, then pour your clear resin into it. There's lots of good resin casting stuff here on the forums. It's surprisingly affordable.

LIS_Laser Rifle-B-Rep (1).jpgLIS_Laser Rifle-B-Rep (2).jpgLIS_Laser Rifle-B-Rep (3).jpgLIS_Laser Rifle-B-Rep (4).jpgLIS_Laser Rifle-B-Rep (5).jpgLIS_Laser Rifle-B-Rep (6).jpg
You need to redo the rear stock. WAAAAY too big. I think the tube of the body should be larger and move the grip back. Here are some reference photos of others replicas that might help you. --Ed

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back