The Old Silicon Cheat

yaris

Sr Member
Okay, so I'm out of PinkySil and resin and everytime I have to restock it costs $100.

I'm scratch building Tie Fighter Wings and the centre wing part is a build that will require 4 cast parts.

So let's get creative......the silicon cheat is using caulking silicon to make a mold to pour resin or something similar.

It's seriously cheap, $3 versus $60.....that's the price point where I live.

I watched a few YT videos and tried the silicon and corn flour etc...but it was a fail.

So next was............bucket of water, add dishwashing detergent, add caulking silicon in and manipulate to a ball of goo.

Once the ball of goo is non sticky, then place part into it and let dry overnight.

Hey presto....I'm very surprised how much detail was retained.

Pros: Seriously cheap material. Easy to use.
Cons: Only for small build parts that you can press into the goo.

PS: The fail in the centre ring is because the goo was pressed to thin in that area....

Attachments

• IMG_4558.JPG
    IMG_4558.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 266
Last edited:
What's the prep time for the goo? Is it just a matter of mixing it for a few minutes?

It's one of those things you just have to try.....I watched a few YT videos and found I had to add way more detergent to get it to be workable.

Once it was a collective goo, NOT sticky at all, then I could press the part into it.

It's not like molding silicon, it takes 12 hrs+ to set, so there's heaps of time to play with it.

Cost wise it's a win.....but only for certain applications.

Last edited:
Hi yaris, I've had some success in using caulking silicon recently, on my scratchbuilt Land Raider.
Specifically, I cast the tracks and iconography (such as the skulls, eagles and ravens, etc) using the same method.

The short version:
I mount the item I want to mold, then I smear the surface with a mix of caulking silicon and lighter fluid.
This should be thin, it follows details very closely, and cures quick.
Next, I bulk out the mold: I add silicon to a small bucket of soapy water, and massage it a bit, then I press this onto the mold.
This takes a while to cure, probably a couple of hours, but I leave it over night.

I've even managed to cast a lego figurine as a two-part mold using this method.
I can add some more info if you want, otherwise PM me.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back