Post Curing Resin in Sous Vide Water Bath?

Zinger

Has anyone tried to post cure resin using a sous vide set up?

I plan to cast a part using Smooth-On Task 4. The part is a thin section which has to be very strong. Task 4 looks like it's the right resin to use but for best performance it requires a16 hour post-cure at 150° - 160° F. I don't want to do that in my oven.

Could I vacuum seal the mold and just drop it in a 160° water bath using my sous vide set up? The water would never touch the post curing plastic, so it shouldn't contaminate my sous vide circulator. Even if something leaked through, the next thing I cook with it will be sealed in it's own bag.

Thoughts?

No one said it won't work, so I went ahead and tried it.

The part came out fine. The mold won't fit in any of my vacuum seal bags so I double bagged it in 2.5 gallon ziplock bags instead.

I'll use this method again. I might dedicate this sous vide circulator to my shop. It's an old model. It's really big and kind of clunky. I could get a smaller, more powerful one for the kitchen.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back