Now that I've played Zelda: BOTW for 275 hours...

astroboy

Master Member
where do you see the series going?

In a lot of ways, that felt like the Zelda to end all Zelda's

ideas for a follow up?

I honestly don't know. The main console/series games typically differ from game to game. I do think the next one will be a similar open world like BotW, since they put so much work into it already.

There are two directions I think they could go with:

1) make a new story using the BOTW engine, but set during the wind waker era. I would love to see a massive world that is the full globe. One with about as much landmass as BOTW, but separated by oceans. One where you could sail all the way around the world.

2) take a page from Wonderboy 3 and add shapeshifting. Imagine a Link who could transform from a wolf, to a bird, to a fish, at the snap of a finger? Like Maui in Moana. It could still take place on the BOTW map, but it could take place at a different time.

Or maybe he can transform from Ruto, to Goran, to Zora, etc...He has the spirit of the champions with him.

I would also like to see more underground/ underwater/ airships in the game

I feel like the Nintendo crew wouldn't want to tread on similar grounds they've already covered, going by their record. Being constricted by a timeline/era in an indirect sequel doesn't seem to be a thing that might interest them. They did what they did with Windwaker and they've done shapeshifting in both Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask.

After BotW, there's no going back. A part of me feels like the next game may take the BotW engine/build and do a switch with it. Rather than melancholic expanses, maybe a dense, populated world where Link has to travel to help cities defend/fortify itself from a large, roaming army or some other massive threat. They could have dungeons that hold that key or McGuffin to help avert that particular disaster. And maybe introduce a schedule system inspired by Majora's Mask where these set events are going to happen whether you'll be there or not, but unlike MM, you can't control time and can only be in one place for one event at a time. That would add some tactical element to the game, what places are you okay with sacrificing? I think that would make good use of a world as big as BotW's.

However, much of the driving methodology for the Zelda games is based on what particular experience the design team wants to achieve. So they may scrap BotW's achievements completely to create something else.

Last edited:
I've not played a Zelda game since Twilight Princess. Didn't play Wind Waker or any others. I'd like to, but haven't bought a Nintendo system in a long time.
I still enjoy the original.

BOTW was an experience! The ONLY thing that would make it better for me would have been virtual reality.. I think it would have been the end of me.. Anyhoo, I actually think they should build on BOTW. Take that whole environment and make that a playable portion on the next game. Basically you open up the lands beyond the boundaries of the game. The lands to the north past the canyon, on the other side of the desert, over the mountains to the west, across the sea to the east and south. Could you imagine 4 more games, each game representing the 4 other directions and creating a globe of interacting worlds that lead to each other. What if they could take the already existing BOTW world and have it play a part in the next game. Update it, add hidden dungeons in previously inaccessible areas for new weapons, new abilities. You could play in the new world, but still interact with the original BOTW world. By the end of it all, you would have a game so EPIC, if you had never played any of it, you would be hard pressed to even complete all 5 worlds.

That's what I would do.

I think you have a great idea there. I love the game world and I think it needs to be expanded upon. As I mentioned, airships, underwater and underground.

But I like your idea in the sense that the area to the South could be like windwaker. Totally different
BOTW was an experience! The ONLY thing that would make it better for me would have been virtual reality.. I think it would have been the end of me.. Anyhoo, I actually think they should build on BOTW. Take that whole environment and make that a playable portion on the next game. Basically you open up the lands beyond the boundaries of the game. The lands to the north past the canyon, on the other side of the desert, over the mountains to the west, across the sea to the east and south. Could you imagine 4 more games, each game representing the 4 other directions and creating a globe of interacting worlds that lead to each other. What if they could take the already existing BOTW world and have it play a part in the next game. Update it, add hidden dungeons in previously inaccessible areas for new weapons, new abilities. You could play in the new world, but still interact with the original BOTW world. By the end of it all, you would have a game so EPIC, if you had never played any of it, you would be hard pressed to even complete all 5 worlds.

That's what I would do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well, in so many ways, this is more like the original than anything.

I didn't realize how far we've slid away from that. I loved twilight princess, but now this is my absolute favorite
I've not played a Zelda game since Twilight Princess. Didn't play Wind Waker or any others. I'd like to, but haven't bought a Nintendo system in a long time.
I still enjoy the original.

One thing I would really like is if they did a "tales from the land of Hyrule" thing where they focus on someone else.

I was just watching a Tinkerbell movie (the never beast) with my daughter and I couldn't help but think that it had a perfect world to play in. How great would it be to play as a fairy warrior? Adding that dimension of flight and scale into this?

That would be an interesting mini game. You could imagine Link going to see one of the fountain fairies and one of them telling him there's danger in their world. They grab him, pull him into the fountain and into their world, where he now goes on a journey to save the fairy kingdom.

You know what I'd also love to see???

I've been thinking a lot about fortnite and the idea of online play.

One thing that I think would work on the BOTW hyrule map is.....touch tag (or perhaps hide and seek. maybe capture the flag)

Think about it. It's not about killing the other player. It's simply tagging them. The idea of tracking another player has so many possibilities.

I would still leave all of the enemies in the game so there is something to do while you're trying to avoid them. One thing I would love to see is some sort of a time stamp left where an enemy was killed. That way you could have a sense of when someone had been by..

Also, I've loaned my switch away right now but when I get it back, I'd love to try a "boss rush" where I take down every mini boss in a single blood moon cycle.

I believe there are just over 100 on hyrule (not including guardians. That would be a whole other challenge)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back