Gold foiling prop books?

rPhase

Hello, I'm a huge harry potter nerd and recently I've discovered book binding via youtube and as someone who loves crafts I'm absolutely fascinated. I want to get into book binding and eventually try to make a replica of some of the books within the series for myself or potentially as gifts for friends. I'm learning a lot via youtube and various forums such as this one as well as tutorials online but I'm still not certain of a few things. Can you guys help me in the right direction?
The main book I'd love to recreate is The Tales of Beedle the Bard https://i.imgur.com/JSKfHrb.jpg
The biggest problem I seem to encounter up front (at least according to information ive come accross) is how can i achieve this gold foiling look on the (what i presume is) bookcloth? Actual foil stamping seems to be out of the question for cost reasons so are there other ways to foil it that are reasonable or should i just consider painting it?

other questions i also have are...
What type of binding is this? perfect binding or something else? Is the cover made of bookcloth or some other type of material? Again total noob here and just looking for guidance.

here are pictures of someone else's replica of the book in question and their results are amazing so i know its at least... somewhat achievable? just not sure how they did it, besides presumably lots of experience and access to tools i do not have access to.
https://i.imgur.com/5Hcny2f.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zBnT1VF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For the gold foiling, without doing hot foil stamping: you can laser print the 'gold' areas with toner, then lay a heat-transfer gold foil sheet on top of that, run it through a hot laminator, and then remove the excess. IDK exactly what that's called, it's kind of a DIY work-around, but I've seen people do it. Good luck : )

Just happened to see your post, so thought I'd give you my feedback, even though you've probably made this by now! You can buy bookcloth that can be run through an inkjet printer. The stuff I got is by Blumenthal Craft, called PhotoFabric. It comes in a roll of 8.5 x 100 inches. I got it to make a beedle the bard replica. Basically, I'll print out a high res image of the cover. I'm still working on the interior. Basically, to me it looks like this book is a case binding, not a structure where the stitch shows on the spine. In this case you'd have multiple signatures that would be sewn together. The other option is to do a perfect binding, which is how paperbacks are bound. Not as structurally sound, but if it won't get a lot of use, it might be fine. Of course, as a bookbinder, I'm always obsessed with longevity!!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back