LoZ: Breath of the Wild - Sword and Stand

TSpawn

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everyone. This is my first thread and I wanted to share what I was working on for the past couple of weeks! I didn't take any pictures during the process (oh well) but here we go.
HeroSetGear.jpg
One of the weapons you unlock from the 8-bit Link Amiibo is just called "Sword" and it’s supposed to be the sword from the original Legend of Zelda for NES and once I got it I instantly fell in love with the design and had to make it.
DSC_0321.JPGDSC_0323.JPGDSC_0341.JPG
I modeled it up in Fusion 360, split it into pieces so I could 3D print them. Everything was sanded and primed over and over again until it was smooth. The gem I molded and casted in some red transparent resin. All of the scratches and gouges were added post-printing with a dremel and needle files. I think that turned out better than modeling it and hoping the details print and sand well. I painted the sword and hilt with some Rustoleum Metallic spray paint that I read about in another thread. Then I epoxied it all together with a metal rod down the center for stability and then weathered it with some acrylic paint. And there we go I actually finished a prop! But wait... How am I going to display it?
2018100621375300-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
The pie in the sky dream was to make the weapon stands that are located inside Link's house in Hateno Village in the game. It has been years since I last tried woodworking so after a few days of thinking about it I started sketching it up. It turns out the one in-game is GIGANTIC so I sized it down to a more sane size to fit my sword. I tried taking a screenshot and sketching over it on paper and that got me most of the way there but something was still off.
2018-10-19 00.14.30.jpgShadowDimensionsInches.png
I drew it up in Fusion 360 and bought a bunch of wood not really knowing what I was doing. I started to cut everything and then realized that trying to set the miter saw at fractions of a degree was pretty dumb. I went back into Fusion and cleaned up the angles to more human measurements and did some more cuts, glued it all together and sanded and stained. The inside of the stand looks like it’s a cloth material so I wrapped some around some plywood and stapled it into place (not sure if that was the correct way to do that but whatever it worked I guess).
2018-10-19 01.00.51.jpg2018-10-23 02.11.40.jpg
The thing that actually holds the sword was modeled and 3D printed and painted a dark metal color. The plaque on the bottom in-game is a blurry mess so I made it look more like a museum plaque. It just says the name of the item, the game title and the in-game description in Hylian. I 3D printed it but I feel like it would have been easier and cleaner if I had access to a laser cutter but it'll do for now. The whole thing ended up being about 15 pounds which is sort of crazy... If I ever make another I'll do some more research into materials so it isn’t so ridiculously heavy.
DSC_0342.JPG
That's it I think. Hopefully everyone likes it and I am by no means an expert on this stuff. I definitely learned a lot and there are tons of things that I would change if I did it again and it'll definitely help on my next prop project. Thanks for looking!

EDIT 10/19: I totally forgot to add links to them on Thingiverse!
Sword: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3135605
Weapon Stand: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3159300

EDIT 10/23: Replaced blurry photo of the plaque

Last edited:
This is beautiful work! Great attention to detail with the clear gem and weathering, too :D
Thank you so much that means a lot!

This is seriously awesome.... nice work! Are you going to do more Zelda stuff?
Thanks! I really want to make the broken and rusted Master Sword from BotW but I can't seem to get the scale right. I got the BotW Master Works artbook when I started this project and that has a lot of amazing reference for almost all of the items in the game. It's really tempting to get working on everything from the game!

Oh wow, just saw the edit to include links -- thank you for sharing the files!

Regarding the size of the master sword - I have the foam sword that ThinkGeek made and I think they picked a nice scale for it. It's not specifically the BotW version, but seems like a reasonable size for a smaller person like Link to use. Their quoted dimensions are

35" long x 8 1/2" wide (blade is just shy of 2 1/4" wide)
https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/kgih/?srp=1

Last edited:
Oh wow, just saw the edit to include links -- thank you for sharing the files!

Regarding the size of the master sword - I have the foam sword that ThinkGeek made and I think they picked a nice scale for it. It's not specifically the BotW version, but seems like a reasonable size for a smaller person like Link to use. Their quoted dimensions are

https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/kgih/?srp=1

Oops haha that is a lot smaller than my first attempt at making it! Thanks for the link. That'll definitely reign in my design to a more reasonable size (instead of the 54" monster I printed before!).

Actually I didn't think about it earlier, but maybe the length could be extrapolated from the game by standing Link next to the sword in its pedestal. Is that how you came up with 54"?

Haha I think it was more a case of me not stepping back and looking at my work. I modeled the thing based on the artwork in the book/the logo and then sized it up as if it was a 1.5 handed sword. I printed out the grip and I thought it was good so I printed the rest as a low resolution to test the rest of it out and once I glued it together I realized how much I messed up! Definately need to take more screencaps.

I got lucky with the other sword because the artbook has a sideview of Link holding it which really helped with scale.

Looks stunning!! <3
Absolutely wonderful work!
Thank you!

And I think I figured out the length of the Master Sword. Or at least comparatively with the sword I made.
MasterSwordvsSword.jpg
So using this picture I figured the sword should be around 43" (which is a good middleground between the test print and the one from Thinkgeek). But... If I use the length of the sword I made as reference that would mean Link is only a little over 4 feet tall! And if I use my height as reference that means the sword I made would be 47" long making the master sword around 61" long.
43" seems about right for a ******* sword and the 34" I have for the original sword feels correct for a shortsword. So sort of confusing but I guess it'd make most sense if any more weapons I make are proportional to the sword I first made.

Also I'm new to posting on here and I'm not sure if I should make a new thread about the Master Sword or continue in this one. I don't want to spam!

It's not intended to be a ******* sword. It's a wide-bladed arming sword (short-sword).
I know it doesn't SEEM correct but Link IS short.. VERY short.

It's not intended to be a ******* sword. It's a wide-bladed arming sword (short-sword).
I know it doesn't SEEM correct but Link IS short.. VERY short.
Ah cool! Admittedly I don't know very much about swords so that really guides me into the right direction. I guess that means its sort of like Sting looking normal sized for Bilbo.

Also I was doing some searching around Hyrule to find something that I could use for a real world scale and I think I found it!
DqaIr0oU4AE6Xhw.jpg
On a shelf inside the dye shop was a tape measure! It is small, blurry and I can't get too close to it but this might be a good enough reference to bring more objects from the game into the real world. I mean even though its curved it looks like the grip for the sword is around 3 or 4 hylian units, which look like inches(?) which makes the one I made around the same size. I think.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back